Windows update--- just don't!

I FINALLY had FSX running as smooth as silk with DX-10 and Steve's fixer, a miriad of other tweeks and adjustments.

I didn't remember to turn off automatic Windows updates and the computer updated on me..

then went into an endless startup/repair loop.

It's now sitting on a workbench in BestBuy waiting to have Windows reloaded and essentially become a new computer.

Didn't have all of my ai traffic files saved to disk, didn't have all of my paint additions and CFG tweaks saved to disk.

This is what happens when you think, "Hey! It's a new computer! No need to save all that stuff yet. It won't go bluescreen on me!"

Complacency in airplanes will kill you, even in simulated airplanes!

I FINALLY had FSX running as smooth as silk with DX-10 and Steve's fixer, a miriad of other tweeks and adjustments.

I didn't remember to turn off automatic Windows updates and the computer updated on me..

then went into an endless startup/repair loop.

It's now sitting on a workbench in BestBuy waiting to have Windows reloaded and essentially become a new computer.

Didn't have all of my ai traffic files saved to disk, didn't have all of my paint additions and CFG tweaks saved to disk.

This is what happens when you think, "Hey! It's a new computer! No need to save all that stuff yet. It won't go bluescreen on me!"

Complacency in airplanes will kill you, even in simulated airplanes!

Hoss - This was always my constant worry about something happening to hardrive or computer issues in general. Without a backup you stand to lose many hours of work on accumulated downloads. I really enjoy what I have accumulated over the last 5 years and don't want to lose it!

I read a post on here, members recommending an external hardrive to run system image backups. I bought a Western Digital 4TB external hardrive and have been running backups to it using Acronis True Image software! It's an insurance policy if you ever need it, it will be there! Well worth the price of the drive and the time it takes to get the system set up!

Oh, and I too do not do automatic Windows updates! I wait until windows tells me there are updates available and then I go in and Scrutinize what they are wanting me to download! Since the offering of Windows 10 and the horror stories of people who inadvertently downloaded Windows 10 via updates, no thank you! If that's the way Microsoft wants to do business, no thank you! Like Jorgen says, "Take Control!"

Rick

Edited by Downwind66

When I started using a computer, I was told there are three essential rules to follow:

Rule 1: Back up

Rule 2: Back up

Rule 3: Back Up

I use Norton Ghost and I can't remember the number of times it's saved my bacon!

Every time I read in this Forum that someone had a huge problem after a Windows 10 update, I immediately start-up FSX-Steam to see if mine still works. It does work, with no apparent problems that Iv'e ever encountered.

Windows 10 just did a huge update on my PC yesterday, taking more than 15 minutes to complete. Again, I can see no problems with right now with FSX.

I bought a Cyberpower gaming PC in November, 2015 with Win 10 pre-installed (It included a Win 10 re-install disc). In the early days of a Windows 10 update, I found that some of my apps were deleted afterwards. These apps were mostly other word processors, (in competition with MS Word?), or some other utility programs. However, I guess after numerous complaints, Microsoft put a halt to that practice(?).

My biggest complaint with Win 10 updates is that a majority of the updated files are related to MS products or apps OTHER than the actual Windows 10 platform. I think we should have some choice to

opt out of updating certain apps we do not use. Somehow though, I don't think MS would ever give us that option...

@ UPHILL3...

You can control to some extent what MS products/apps as follows:

1. Go to the Update and Security setting page,

2. Under the Update Setting select Advanced Options.

3. Under Choose How Updates Are Installed section untick the box next to the Give me updates for other MS products.........option.

WRT to the update process 'looping' - 3 reasons why this happen and how to avoid them are:

Reason 1 - the download of the an update was disrupted, either accidentally or on purpose. Windows will try to install what it has but then encounter issues.

Solution: Try to let windows fully download all updates uninterrupted.

Reason 2 - You are using and/or have declared that you are using a 'metered' internet connection. In this case windows will initially only try to download those updates it considers essential. However, eventually it will try to download other updates which may lead to the same issues as detailed for reason 1.

Solution: Run a manual update session. This overrides the 'metered' connection setting. Alternative, make sure that you don't have the metered option selected.

Reason 3 - This is the most common reason for such issues. When windows installs updates some need to have a 'restart' to finish of the update process. I have noticed that if you action a restart using the Start menu option, using the 'Update and restart' or 'Update and shutdown' options, it doesn't always action the update correctly. Whilst it appears to do the update(s) and restarts when you next go to the menu it will still say that a updates are awaiting a restart.

Solution: When you see any of the 'update' options in the start menu go to the Update and Security settings page. You will see, under the Update Status section, a message stating that a restart is required and a button labelled 'Restart Now'. Click on this button and let it do its thing. When I first got Win 10 I got this problem and this solution always cleared up the issue for me. I started to (and now) routinely use the solution and have never had any such issue since.

Regards

Brian

Sorry, but I let Win 10 update and nothing affects my FSX, ever. I happen to think that Win 10 gets better and, I 'm all for the updates. The proof is in the pudding.

Cheers,

Wonderful! But from what I've seen from others, DON'T BRAG! Your turn may be next. And not to tempt fate, BACKUP NOW!!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I agree with Rupert above, I once put Win10 on a PC and just my personal view but I hated it and I got rid and put Win7 back on.

I have 2 PC's and a laptop and all three have Win7 Ultimate loaded, plus as stated above I like to tweak a lot so I back up regularly, even when tweaking a single aircraft, I always do a back up of the original so it's easy to just put it back if things go pear shaped.

I too learned from NOT backing up and lost programs and data etc, felt like throwing the PC out the window, had to calm down for a day or two before I started the long road of loading it all back up again.

Col.

This is why I refuse to use updates. In fact, I haven't used updates since I ran Win 98se back in 20004. I will only use a specific update if I need it. And why so many asinine updates? Is Windows that broken? It's analogous to Comcast updating the cable box every night. I flipping I hate that! And besides, an update won't prevent you from getting malware at all. You can update, and update all you want and you'll still get malware, especially polymorphic malware. It just all depends on how you use your computer. I'd look into Sandboxie for your browser. Then go into Services under the Control Panel and turn off the update service. No more problems. If you want to risk an update messing up your computer then always clone like mentioned. I use AOMEI Backupper.

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

People shouldn't tolerate this crap. M$ needs better quality control.

I agree CRJ, and how many times have we seen threads where not just FS but other programs where they have said such and such program used to run fine and after this latest update I'm getting error messages or it won't run at all.

I often picture in my mind some geek who thinks he is a genius starts tinkering and does an update, it might work on his PC but not on many others, then complaints come in and they have to do a fix, but it takes many complaints before they do a fix if any.

Col.

Two pc's and a laptop updated with the latest - zero problems. Those crying out "never update" should bear in mind that in Win10 these updates, especially those changing the build number, are what was previously called Service Packs and, yes, they're important for security and performance. Sad to see some having the post-update problems, but it's definitely not the usual outcome. I've had one program (Classic Shell) need to reconfigure at the first post-update logon, otherwise, everything running A-OK.

I usually do the updates, but I do em when I decide to do em and usually a month or two after they've come out. I thought I had automatic update turned off though. Don't know how I turned it on. It'll be okay. I have to redownload Steve's Fixer, the weather program I used, some WOA routes, and I have to figure out which paint program I finally got to work so I can flip the tail logo around correctly on my Southern Airways Dc-9's. I'm going to look at it as an opportunity to make it even better. Hell! Half the fun is experimenting anyway! Edited by Hossfly68

I usually do the updates, but I do em when I decide to do em and usually a month or two after they've come out. I thought I had automatic update turned off though. Don't know how I turned it on. It'll be okay. I have to redownload Steve's Fixer, the weather program I used, some WOA routes, and I have to figure out which paint program I finally got to work so I can flip the tail logo around correctly on my Southern Airways Dc-9's. I'm going to look at it as an opportunity to make it even better. Hell! Half the fun is experimenting anyway!

That's a good way to look at it! Once it has happened, it is what it is, time to deal with it! It is a lot of work getting things back, and most can be recouped! I do all i can to safeguard against it, but, if it does happen to me, I just want to be ready for it and make it as painless as can be!

One of these days, I might ask you for help in turning a tail logo around. I didn't know you could do that with a paint program.

Anyway, have a nice evening! - Rick

The Geek Squad called me today. My computer is ready and can be picked up at 10am! The funny thing is that I actually learned how to rebuild desktop systems JUST so I could fly Microsoft Flight Sims! That was a long time ago though and I seem to have lost those skills after not doing it for 15 years or so. This is also a laptop, and I'm not even thinking abut opening it up. Yup, I'm at the point in my life (ie- old fart) where I can say, "Screw it! I'll just pay somebody to fix it for me and avoid the frustration."... sadly, not yet at that point with the yard work.

Turns out they didn’t have to wipe the disk and reload everything. So far, I have everything I’ve checked and FSX runs perfectly! It was just a Windows glitch. Some computers have them and some don’t. It all depends on what’s on them and how they’re set up.

Personally, I can fix, upgrade and build my own computer and I have replaced the HDDs in laptops, the screens, RAM, etc. I would never think of using Geek Squad. I've heard that they not only suck, but will copy your data off. But at least you got it working.

I used to do all that. No desire to do it now. New computer, still under warranty, not even an email account on there so nothing to steal except FSX stuff. Less stress is what I’m after.

But if ya lived in Mobile, I would have brought some rum and the computer and let ya tweak it out for me!

Interesting. I wonder why? Usually it's a Caribbean town or other coastal tropical area that produces rum because it's made from sugar cane.

Edit- I see now. Flensburg is surrounded by water so it must have been a huge import. Looks like the town was established some time in the 1500's which would correlate with that of the privateer/pirate era.

Flensburg is about 55 miles South of Denmark. I'll have to check this town out one day.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

CRJ,

Up until 1864 Flensburg was Danish, and raw rum from the Danish West Indies was shipped here to be spiced or otherwise refined. After the Danish-Prussian war of 1864 the town and a lot of Southern Denmark became German, and part of that area returned to Denmark after a referendum in 1920.

Today, the border with Denmark is about 6 km. north of the city centre, and a city bus runs up there every 20 minutes. A regional Danish bus line also comes down here.

If you ever come to the area, then message me and I'll introduce you to the city and Flensburger beer - the one that goes "Plopp".

Jorgen

CRJ,

Up until 1864 Flensburg was Danish, and raw rum from the Danish West Indies was shipped here to be spiced or otherwise refined. After the Danish-Prussian war of 1864 the town and a lot of Southern Denmark became German, and part of that area returned to Denmark after a referendum in 1920.

Today, the border with Denmark is about 6 km. north of the city centre, and a city bus runs up there every 20 minutes. A regional Danish bus line also comes down here.

If you ever come to the area, then message me and I'll introduce you to the city and Flensburger beer - the one that goes "Plopp".

Jorgen

Nice. I never knew about the Prussian war. I'm part German and Prussian, Irish, Polish and other stuff. I'm pretty much a mutt. LOL

It wasn't a Windows glitch if it depends on what else is on it or how it's set up. It's too easy to blame Windows and it's becoming the default position for people who have a system problem they can't solve. Most "Windows screwed my system" threads usually have a solution that's nothing directly to do with the OS.

The computer is working now. The cause is irrelevant but can probably be blamed on pilot error.

The discussion has now moved on to the popularity of rum in a coastal German town.