Windows update--- just don't!

Woke up, went to work, Came home, ate dinner, mixed a nice rum punch (cause it's beach time except for the approaching storm), fired up the revamped flightsim computer.

now I have another problem. the sim is running as smooth as silk, with locked FPS of 30, exceptionally nice graphics, and all of the scenery and traffic I need to see.

what the heck am I supposed to do if I don't need to tweak the thing for an extra frame per second?

just fly? no tweaking?

well, I did. I just flew touch and goes and flittered between KBFM and KMOB a few times. My landings are as smooth as "butta". Guess I'll try some cross country this weekend while hoping we don't get flooded.

maybe I'll look into Vatsim and online flying.. It'd be kind of interesting to actually talk to ATC again after so many years.

can one still fly online with only the boxed version or is the Steam version required for that now?

can one still fly online with only the boxed version or is the Steam version required for that now?

You can use either or. Referring to VATSIM that is. I don't think the boxed version has multiplayer, but the Steam version does. Don't expect too much professionalism in Steam multiplayer.

Woke up, went to work, Came home, ate dinner, mixed a nice rum punch (cause it's beach time except for the approaching storm), fired up the revamped flightsim computer.

now I have another problem. the sim is running as smooth as silk, with locked FPS of 30, exceptionally nice graphics, and all of the scenery and traffic I need to see.

what the heck am I supposed to do if I don't need to tweak the thing for an extra frame per second?

just fly? no tweaking?

well, I did. I just flew touch and goes and flittered between KBFM and KMOB a few times. My landings are as smooth as "butta". Guess I'll try some cross country this weekend while hoping we don't get flooded.

maybe I'll look into Vatsim and online flying.. It'd be kind of interesting to actually talk to ATC again after so many years.

Ah the simmers disease: Can't leave it alone.

I make it a habit to pull out the old crap and reinstall the sim every six months or so and it's amazing how quick you can forget those `supercharging` settings that seemed so important at the time, yet when one goes back to a clean installation get utterly forgotten,

Of course, it might be the Rum making me forgetful...:confused:

I flew some cross country while waiting for the storm to come in. It shifted east so just few sprinkles this afternoon, maybe more tomorrow.

I actually fired up FS2004 and flew it for a bit. I NEVER thought I would say this, but it runs too fast on my computer! Using the hat switch to turn my view causes an affect akin to Linda Blair's head spinning. All sliders maxed and averaging 65fps until I load in the Freeflow sceneries. I need to poke around here and find some cfg tweaks and such for it, mostly for shimmering and/or new sceneries and AI traffic for it. I feel bad. I left FS2004 like a ghost town when I got FSX running nicely.

• 1 year later...
I'm about as locked down and private as I can be and still be on the web.

Not without a hardware-based firewall you aren't.

When I ever install Win 10 I'm deploying Pfsense and blocking all of Microsoft's ASNs then watch SNMP for anything that shouldn't be there.

Curious. Run CurrPorts and see if you still have M$ crap going in and out of your computer. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html