Addon sceneries

DETANDT

I tried to install addon sceneries for FSX-SE and used the description on the site but I am not sure at all it worked. I downloaded EBKT and EBAW airport addon sceneries but don't see a lot of difference. Also when I select a departure airport in free flight and click on add-on scenery box and then search I find nothing. How can I check that the addon sceneries were really installed ? I had expected to see a remarkable difference but I don't.

Thanks,

Filip

No need to check that addon scenery box, that is a legacy mode and the only addons that will show up there will be very, very old sceneries that were designed for FS2002.

FS9 and FSX sceneries will automatically replace default scenery if they are installed properly.

When you say that you "don't see a lot of difference", can I infer that you do see some difference? If so, then the addon is working.

Without knowing exactly what addons you installed (zip file name and where you got them) and how you installed them, there is no real way for me to tell you what to look for.

Can you provide more info please?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I see any difference.

I downloaded the files ebkt_1.zip and ebzw_2.zip from flightsim.com and copied them into FSX's Addon Scenery folder, in the subfolder scenery. Then I tried to add the scenery in FSX via settings-scenery-add area using the description on this website. So I clicked add area and then went to the directory which should have the files. I didn't see any (normal according to the website description) then clicked the center white space and clicked OK but nothing really happened. I had to close that dialog box and then click ok again in the scenery. I did see FSX was updating its database but that went real quick. So I am not confident anything got installed, especially with ebkt_1.zip.

Regards,

Filip

Seems to work OK. Does your Scenery Library look like what I have when the scenery is added? Do you see a loading bar when you click OK to go back to your Flight screen?

add airport.JPG

added airport.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Filip,

As has been highlighted by il88pp you will need to unzip the files - you can do this using the inbuilt OS tool or by using a dedicated tool such as WinZip(Limited Freeware/Payware) or 7Zip (freeware. Unzip the files a temp folder.

WRT ebzw_2.zip

This is what I would call a simple or basic scenery. It only contains a scenery file (.bgl) and uses FSX default objects. The simplest way to get the file to show is to place it in your default Addon Scenery\Scenery folder - you will not need to do anything else as this folder is already activated by default.

WRT ebkt_1.zip

This scenery is a bit more complicated as it is what I consider to be a detailed category. The author has made use of Object Libraries (listed in a .jpg file) which need to be installed for the scenery to be viewed correctly and also offers the choose of a photoreal background (contained in a separate folder). Object libraries are basically a collection of various objects that scenery makers can use. There are number of such libraries that are commonly used and considered essential (such as EZ and Rwy objects) and they are installed just any other scenery.

Installing this scenery has a number of options available to you....

Option 1 - Simply install the single ebkt airport .bgl into the same location as the ebzw file - this will give you the basic layout of the airport but, unless you have the required object libraries installed, may only show very basic detail and any default objects used.

Option 2 - Use the photoreal scenery - easy route. As with option 1 place the airport .bgl into the default Addon Scenery\Scenery folder. Also copy the 3 photoreal.bgl files into this folder. Copy the 3 .bmp texture files into the Addon Scenery\Texture folder.

Option 3 - Use the photoreal scenery - best practice route. Create a new folder for the scenery in the default Addon Scenery folder (i.e Addon Scenery\). Then navigate to the temp folder and copy both the Scenery and Texture folders into the new folder so that you end up with Addon Scenery\\Scenery and Addon Scenery\\Texture. Add the airport.bgl file to the Addon Scenery\\Scenery folder. Fire up FSX and activate the folder.

NOTE as for option 1, if you don't have the required object libraries the scenery will not display correct BUT with the photoreal scenery added you will at least get a visible confirmation that you have activated the scenery correctly.

As an aside to this regarding adding scenery in general - you can add scenery almost anywhere within reason, even outside of the FSX. All that you need to remember is that:

A. Scenery files (.bgl extensions) must be placed within a subfolder called Scenery

B. Texture files (.bmp .dds etc) must be placed in a Texture subfolder.

C. That the folder is activated within FSX.

Regards

Brian

Great explanation, Brian! Unfortunately, I think you lost the OP after Hi Filip;)

Hi Charlie,

You may be right - my intention was to give info specific to the two files the OP is having trouble with, especially as the readme in the ebkt scenery does not give good specific advice.......:eek:

If so, the OP (or anybody else) can ask for more basic step by step instructions and/or general Q's regarding what I have mentions (e.g about object libraries etc) and I will gladly give them.......:)

Regards

Brian

Hi Charlie,

You may be right - my intention was to give info specific to the two files the OP is having trouble with, especially as the readme in the ebkt scenery does not give good specific advice.......:eek:

If so, the OP (or anybody else) can ask for more basic step by step instructions and/or general Q's regarding what I have mentions (e.g about object libraries etc) and I will gladly give them.......:)

I always appreciate yours and il's explanations of the mysteries of FSX and other Sims. Sometimes a bit of information overload, but quality stuff. I was just concerned that a newbie may lose interest after 1 or 2 sentences. It may give 'em too much to think about all at once.:D

Thanks guys. Thanks to your help this newbie succeeded installing the EBKT scenery and now I do see a difference. Next step is to install all the object libraries needed to be able to get the full benefit of this addon.

Thanks guys. Thanks to your help this newbie succeeded installing the EBKT scenery and now I do see a difference. Next step is to install all the object libraries needed to be able to get the full benefit of this addon.

Alright! On to bigger challenges!;)

Hi Filip,

Glad you got it sorted.....

Just two quick observations on Object Libraries......

1. They normally contain both scenery .bgl files and texture files and are best placed into individual folders for each library.

2. They are best placed lower down the scenery Priority listing - best place for them is below any addon scenery BUT above the FSX default scenery entries. This will ensure that they are fully available to all addon scenery that uses them.

Happy flyin'

Regards

Brian

Archived