Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Motherboard, CPU and Memory, Old SSD and Hard Drive

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    You have the best hardware you can get and are going to mess it all up because of software? MoxNix. If I was you I would install Win 7 Ultimate (if 64 bit) and get rid of obnoxious, snooping, Win 10. But that just me. But, yes, that image is for Win 10. Back up files. The file system is same (ntfs).

So you hook everything up. You boot to 10. Uninstall 10. Reboot. Put Win 7 disc in optical drive. Reboot and go from there. You best only have the SSD hooked up. Leave the HDDrive disconnected for now. Once Win 7 and your SSD are working then hook up HDDrive and it should recognize it. Your files are still there and safe irregardless.

I find Win 10 a pita. It calls home with all the info it can garner from ALL activity. Why? No matter. I don't like that. And if you change anything it refuses to work. It has an 'attitude'. They made Win 10 for business work (so they can sell you Office 65=TEXT not GRAPHICS) so not for 'games' with 'controllers'.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    The latest CPUs aren't supported on anything less than Windows 10. And with ShutUp10 you can disable just about everything you could want to.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Windows 10 works just fine for games too.

2. Default

Big t,
    that sounds promising. Didn't know this.

It still depends a bit on which edition of Windows 10 you have.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/tra...icense-new-pc/

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    It still depends a bit on which edition of Windows 10 you have.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/tra...icense-new-pc/
    This is good information too. I am pretty sure I have a digital license. I have a Microsoft account and there it says that I do. I upgraded to Windows 10 when Microsoft was allowing a free upgrade. At the time I had Win 7 Ultimate and when I upgraded I was given the option to upgrade to Win 10 Pro and I did. I am going to keep at this until I know it can be done. A couple of years ago I had to reinstall everything when I got my SSD. I don't want to do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    The latest CPUs aren't supported on anything less than Windows 10. And with ShutUp10 you can disable just about everything you could want to.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Windows 10 works just fine for games too.
    I agree. I never had any problems with Win 10 and it was running FSX just fine on my computer. The guts of my computer are getting old, at least 10 to 12 years now. I need new stuff. You have to keep moving forward. Win 7 was good and I liked it but it is an antique now. Surely there is a way to do this upgrade without starting over completely.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT-65 View Post
    I agree. I never had any problems with Win 10 and it was running FSX just fine on my computer. The guts of my computer are getting old, at least 10 to 12 years now. I need new stuff. You have to keep moving forward. Win 7 was good and I liked it but it is an antique now. Surely there is a way to do this upgrade without starting over completely.
    You can certainly try just booting the computer from the current drive and try. I have done it a couple of times before, however, be prepared to reinstall from scratch if something goes wrong. Going from one Intel system to another shouldn't be too bad (Intel to/from AMD can be trickier, though it does work too).

The first step is to download the drivers for your new motherboard, especially the chipset and network drivers, and have them on the boot drive as well as on a USB stick (to be safe). Next clear out drivers and any associated utilities for the old hardware on your current system before disassembling it. It would be a good idea to make sure Windows is fully up to date too on the existing system. And make sure to have serial numbers or product keys handy for any commercial software you may have as some of those may also have ties to the old hardware and need to be re-activated too.

If it works it will be much faster than reinstalling and re-configuring everything, but as I noted above, be prepared to reinstall. In other words, backup everything you don't want to lose.

It's called sysprep, and I have used it successfully with migrating my old computer to my new computer in my Sig. I really don't recommend this route. You should try this and just transfer your software over using an external large capacity USB stick or USB external HDD. https://www.easeus.com/free-pc-transfer-software/

Once you build your computer, install Windows 10 with your 7 key, (I think you can do that) and install the motherboard drivers from the motherboard website. I wouldn't use the disk that comes with the motherboard as it's likely those drivers will be old. It's nice to have in a pinch or no Internet.

Be sure to enable the XMP profile for your RAM and to turn on AHCI in BIOS before you install Windows. Just go into BIOS and configure everything before you install the OS. Do not use the fast boot feature prior to installing Windows. Only after.

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7| i5 6600k | Evo 212 cooler | 2666 MHz Ballistix Tactical RAM | Crucial MX300 256GB SSD | 1 TB Hitachi platter | GTX 1050TI | Antec 750 gold | Logitech Z 5300 5.1 audio
    I hate Windows 10, get used to it.
    My forum project

Okay, I just realized that software is a whopping 50 bucks. For free you can only transfer two programs. So here's what I did for sysprep.

I did not follow this guide since I use Win 7. But this guide is pretty much the same and applies to 10. https://www.petri.com/using-syspre-windows-10

Before you do that though, go in with the program Revo Uninstaller in safe mode and uninstall your video card driver and audio driver using Revo Uninstaller.

Now go into control panel into device manager and remove your network adapters.

Now you can run sysprep. Once the PC shuts down DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT reboot it. You will only boot this hard drive in your new computer as it's now ready for the new machine.

If all goes well you should have your data intact with Win 10. Just furnish your Win 10 or 7 product key. I'm pretty sure you can use the 7 key so I've read, but I'm not entirely sure about it. Like I said, I only use 7.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 05-18-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7| i5 6600k | Evo 212 cooler | 2666 MHz Ballistix Tactical RAM | Crucial MX300 256GB SSD | 1 TB Hitachi platter | GTX 1050TI | Antec 750 gold | Logitech Z 5300 5.1 audio
    I hate Windows 10, get used to it.
    My forum project

One final tip:

The win 10 install will NOT be up to date. You will have to be prepared to download gigs and gigs of updated files so getting the online accessibility should be your first priority followed by at least a day or two for online updates - many are sequential so will only update after a prior update.

Under NO circumstances attempt a copy, install or load of your FSX installation until those precious Windows Updates are complete.

10. Default

Note, setting xmp profile before installing Windows is not a good idea. Xmp is an overclock setting. You should not use overclock settings while running an installer program. Especially not when something as important as an OS is being installed. Write errors can occur more easily when ram or processor are overclocked.

Xmp is an overclock setting for the ram. Within spec, so relatively safe. But still better to engage it after the installer finishes and you made sure Windows runs well.

But, I agree with loki. You can plug the old ssd drive in and just see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12