Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Motherboard, CPU and Memory, Old SSD and Hard Drive

1. Default

Here is an update on replacing motherboard, CPU and Memory without reinstalling Windows and all my programs. I got the new Giabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 motherboard, i7 8700K CPU, 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000 memory and Cooler Master MA610P Air cooler. I took out my old motherboard with CPU, memory and Cooler attached and put all the new stuff in. I left all my drives in place with Windows and everything on them. I plugged it in, started it up and everything worked as hoped. The only thing I had to do was reactivated Windows 10. I had to do this by calling Windows Tech Support. They did it for me no problem. i have done a thorough test of my drives, programs and especially FSX. It all works. After I found out how to identify all the old drivers I did go into Device Manager and delete a ton or old drivers, now everything is like new. So it seems that as long as you are using Windows 10 this sort of an upgrade is not a big problem. FSX performance is greatly improved.

Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 motherboard, i7 8700K CPU OCed to 4.8 GHz with Cooler Master MA610P Air Cooler, 16 GB G.Skill Trident DDR4 3000 memory, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 1 TB Western Digital external backup HDD, 2 DVD RW Drives, Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply, 3 Asus 24 inch monitors in 5760 x 1080 resolution. Saitek X52 Flight System, Logitech G27 Racing Wheel and Pedal set, Windows 10 Pro.
    Last edited by BigT-65; 05-29-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added signature

I would roll back the OC to 4.2 Ghz. You shorten the life of CPU at 4.8 Ghz. It is GREAT (for a little while). Nobody's fault - but yours - if it ZAPS and quits next week/month. Too high a price to pay just to get 3 more frames per second. Nice job on re-install. Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    I would roll back the OC to 4.2 Ghz. You shorten the life of CPU at 4.8 Ghz. It is GREAT (for a little while). Nobody's fault - but yours - if it ZAPS and quits next week/month. Too high a price to pay just to get 3 more frames per second. Nice job on re-install. Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Thanks for your reply. I am going to do as you suggest and roll back the OC. I set it on Auto Turbo Boost and with FSX running it is between 4.3 and 4.4 GHz. Frame rates are about the same between 50 and 60 if not near any large cities. I have the limit set at 60.

Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 motherboard, Intel i7 8700K CPU Auto Turbo-Boost to 4.4 GHz with Cooler Master MA610P Air Cooler, 16 GB G.Skill Trident DDR4 3000 memory, Asus Strix GTX 960 4 GB GDDR5 OC edition graphics, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 1 TB Western Digital external backup HDD, 2 DVD RW Drives, Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply, 3 Asus 24 inch monitors in 5760 x 1080 resolution. Saitek X52 Flight System, Logitech G27 Racing Wheel and Pedal set, Windows 10 Pro.
    Last edited by BigT-65; 05-30-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Your frame limit shouldn't be that high. You want to give breathing room for other stuff. Set it at 25-30 FPS. Your eye won't see a difference. I personally set mine to 25. That is actually the European TV standard. Or at least in the UK.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

+1 . FSX frame rate should be LOCKED at 30 fps. That is plenty. No need for 60 fps. 4.3 to 4.4 is also plenty good and makes sense. I think you got all your Ducks lined up. Go fly!
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I agree on the frame rate question. If frame rated needed to be over 30 or so to watch a movie in a theater you can bet, they would do it. If you can't see flutter on the big screen of a movie theater I'd be totally shocked if it were a visible issue while simming!!

I call frame rate claims "Brag-ware." The poster is bragging about the money spent and other than inflating his/her own ego gains nothing from it. Except possibly some high cost equipment replacements in the future!!

HAHAHA! Exactly. I see all these young gamers say things like, " check it out yo! I have 75 FPS!" I'm like, so? Your point? All you needed was 25 to 30. LMAO!

But I digress. What really matters to the modern games is the resolution like 4K. But I could care less about that. Bad enough I locked my res in FSX.cfg to 1024 textures and set the cloud textures in Active Sky Cloud Art to 1024. Since FS is so damn CPU hungry, I don't want to over tax the system on fluff. I'd rather have my plane operate in a proficient manner without FPS drops due to the instrumentation. Such is the case with PMDG offerings.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

The TV frame rate is actually half the AC line frequency, so 25/sec in Europe and 30/sec in the US.

And Rupert has it right with the term Bragware!

CRJ raises good points with the resolution, I'll experiment a little with mine and see if I can get a smoother ride that way.

Jorgen

One thing tho. The res in FSX should be set to the 'native' (default) res of your monitor. That is a suggestion but I follow it. Your GPU needs all the help it can get to work at it's best ('smooth ride'). I always fly at 'Day' hours and use 'fair weather' (no clouds). When clouds 'pop up' (called 'imposter' clouds) I go into weather/custom/advanced and then just 'ok' out and those (phony) clouds will be gone. Easy fix for that. KISS (Keep It Simple Sir) is my motto. FSX is complicated enough as it is.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    I agree on the frame rate question. If frame rated needed to be over 30 or so to watch a movie in a theater you can bet, they would do it. If you can't see flutter on the big screen of a movie theater I'd be totally shocked if it were a visible issue while simming!!

I call frame rate claims "Brag-ware." The poster is bragging about the money spent and other than inflating his/her own ego gains nothing from it. Except possibly some high cost equipment replacements in the future!!
    I agree with the brag-ware thing. But it's just this. After wanting to upgrade my computer for the last two years, I finally did it. I was worried about how much of a hassle it would be, so I kept putting it off. Well, now I've done it and I just wanted to see what it can do. I just like the idea of knowing that it can run FSX with really high graphics settings. I have come back to reality now and reduced my maximum frame rate to 35.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3