Major texture issue!

Skywatcher12

Does anyone have any ideas? I only have an area around my aircraft that appears normal and then the rest goes to mush.

This has appeared out of nowhere globally. I have recently installed airports. To troubleshoot the problem I have replaced every folder and file in my FS installation with the default FS folders and files. No custom files were left in there at all. I additionally ran a default FS9.cfg, removed all nVidia graphics card settings for FS9 and the problem persisted. Does not appear to be any hardware issues on my PC. Got me stumped!

prob1.jpg

prob2.jpg

Mark Daniels

OK, thanks. Anyway, his problem is solved. He changed the visibility from unlimited (to 70 miles, I think)

Just to clarify, not resolved so people don't think the problem is gone. The problem is with more distant textures so I thought changing visibility settings would hide the problem. After a proper flight I found it does not.

Mark Daniels

It is not a problem. It is how FS9 works, always been that way, always will.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Mark, Stringbean is right, in that the tiling effect you're seeing is always there no matter what.

There are ways of covering it up though. I do it by editing the FS9.cfg file and changing a setting in FSUIPC:

In the [Weather] section:

DefaultVisibility=144841

Lower down the list you'll find:

MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=144840

Note that the atmospheric visibility is LESS than the terrain visibility.

If you reduce the atmospheric visibility further, to 96560 or 60 miles, this will cover up the tiling effect.

I actually use 48280 or 30 miles.

In FSUIPC I uncheck the 'Allow external programs to control FS own weather' box. External programs CAN still change the weather, but NOT the maximum unlimited visibility of 30 miles which I set in FS9.cfg above.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Mark, Stringbean is right, in that the tiling effect you're seeing is always there no matter what.

There are ways of covering it up though. I do it by editing the FS9.cfg file and changing a setting in FSUIPC:

In the [Weather] section:

DefaultVisibility=144841

Lower down the list you'll find:

MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=144840

Note that the atmospheric visibility is LESS than the terrain visibility.

If you reduce the atmospheric visibility further, to 96560 or 60 miles, this will cover up the tiling effect.

I actually use 48280 or 30 miles.

In FSUIPC I uncheck the 'Allow external programs to control FS own weather' box. External programs CAN still change the weather, but NOT the maximum unlimited visibility of 30 miles which I set in FS9.cfg above.

Tim,

I'm not disagreeing it's how FS works, I agree, it is.

What I'm beginning to believe is not everyone sees this effect in their FS under normal use. I'm beginning to believe some people see it all the time and others don't. That's why I asked the question of StringBean as it appears by his comments he sees this effect. You just answered what I asked of StringBean and obviously you see and look to hide the effect. Roger Wensley by his posts appears to have never seen it. I posted this same thread at AVSIM. To posters over there it appears I had a problem and they offered solutions. I would imagine if they saw this effect all the time they would have answered, "Hey, it's how FS works" but to them it appeared a problem as they don't see it.

I can assure you 100% I could not see it ever under normal use and now it can be clearly seen in my FS all the time.

I'm working on getting to the bottom of it all and think I'm getting somewhere but it's going to take weeks.

Mark Daniels

I'm working on getting to the bottom of it all and think I'm getting somewhere but it's going to take weeks.

I hope not! Try the settings in my previous post and you should see an improvement if not a cure.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I hope not! Try the settings in my previous post and you should see an improvement if not a cure.

The settings I'm running now worked perfectly before as I never saw this problem until it magically appeared and became a problem. Thanks but I don't want to hide the problem, I want to fix it and get rid of it! lol

What I understand of FS after the years I've used it I understand very well. This is something I don't understand well and I'm just someone who can't leave something unresolved or patched when I know it shouldn't be there in the first place. I also think the cause introduces other small issues but I really don't want to post anything else till I have definitive results.

Mark Daniels

Should add, in the past I could always run visibility at unlimited. I did run it marginally less than this and never saw the problem. It simply wasn't there. The area that now turns to mush would draw faster than I could see it. Now it doesn't.
Mark Daniels

But, and this is a disappointing "but", I discovered today that is because I fly low in a single engine plane, reliving real life flights from ten years before when I flew along a Canadian river and through a range of low mountains while dodging clouds. While looking at a new and extensive scenery in the Northwest Territories flat lands from 19,000 feet today I had the same as you! So it is always there, waiting.

But, and this is a disappointing "but", I discovered today that is because I fly low in a single engine plane, reliving real life flights from ten years before when I flew along a Canadian river and through a range of low mountains while dodging clouds. While looking at a new and extensive scenery in the Northwest Territories flat lands from 19,000 feet today I had the same as you! So it is always there, waiting.

For users who have no texture problem as I have described in this thread, I STRONGLY suggest you DO NOT read on!

Roger,

Well, yes, I realized this a couple of days ago same as you. I installed FS9 on my laptop, same thing. I then checked a friends PC who also runs FS9 and same thing. I PM'd tiger1962 and StringBean to let them know as they were completely correct. I thought it best not respond in this thread to not mention my realization to everyone as many people are completely unaware of how FS works. It can go unnoticed for years or forever for many people and as you can see, it's better if you stay blind to it! It is simply the way FS renders and I have since found it appears possibly how all flight and combat sims render the ground.

My friend who hadn't noticed it for 15 years and myself are now permanently scarred! lol

Mark Daniels

Archived