F18 Avionics - How to turn them on?

Guest Marian43

Guest Marian43

Okay guys this is probably a very basic question, but I'm quite new to that whole simulator-thing.

When I hop into the F-18, sometimes I start with turned on avionics, but most of the time I don't and I just can't get them to turn on.

The battery master switch is on and I pressed the shortcut to the avionics master switch, but these damn displays won't start up. I'm pretty sure I am missing something very basic, but the engines are started.

I also can't find anything on the internet.

Thanks

If the engines are started. as you say, and the battery is on, and probably very low voltage, nest thing to check is the generators/alternators on to keep up the voltage.

Just a tip if you would like to not have to worry about the Avionics switch in the future. Set up a cold and dark "default flight" with the engines off and all electrical off but leave the Avionic switch ON.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I presume you mean the default F-18, in FSX Acceleration, yes?

Make sure, first, you start the sim with the default plane and flight. The trike over Friday Harbour.

Easiest way to do that quickly is to edit your FSX.cfg file. ONLY ever open it for editing with NotePad, the little editor that comes with Windows. Never edit any kind of .cfg file with anything else. Never, ever use a word processor of any kind. They will mess up .cfg files.

Look for a line that reads Situation= bla, bla, bla. What comes after the equals sign is irrelevent. Or, ill-elephant, as my kids used to say. Delete everything after the equals sign. Save off the file, close it, and start up FSX. It will have the default, default flight loaded for you..

Once that's loaded up, on the Free Flight page, go ahead and switch to the F-18, and select Fly Now.

As a side note, if it were me, I'd change the starting airport, so you don't start up at 5,000' off the ground. But hey, that's up to you :D

If you want, NOW load up a saved, cold-n-dark F-18 set up.

Select Battery ON, and fire up the APU. Once it's going, start the right engine, and switch it's generator on. Turn on the Avionics switch once you've got the generator going. Your displays should fire right up when you switch on the generator. The Avionics should all start up on just the APU, but they're a pretty good load on it. It's better to start and engine, then the Avionics.

Now, start the left engine, and switch it's generator on. Once it's going good, the APU should shut it' self off after a few seconds.

Fly away :D

If you're wondering why the right engine first, it's so that the parking brake hydraulics are at full pressure. They can bleed down when the right engine is off, and if you start the left engine first, you can start cruising down the runway, before you're ready.

Now, having said all that, if I were you, I would download and install the FS Dream Team, FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C, v18.3. It's the latest and greatest offering from the BA team, and it ROCKS. BEST FCS for an F-18 available for the sims, and the FDE is absolutely top notch. AND it's TacPac enabled, if you like that sort of thing.

I can give you the link if you want. It makes the default F-18 look like a tricycle by comparison. MAYBE a Big Wheel, but not quite that good :D

Then download Javier's Nimitz v2, and Orion's AICarriers.NET, for seaborne ops. Want it even better? Install vLSO from Paddles, and you've got one realistic set-up. I'll tell you though, the AI LSO's are grumpy, and mean. Perfectionists. They hate me, I know that...

Enjoy!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Side Note: The FA-18C V18.3 download is a HUGE 884 Mb zip file. Almost 1 Gb.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Side Note: The FA-18C V18.3 download is a HUGE 884 Mb zip file. Almost 1 Gb.

Chuck B

Napamule

There's 80 different paints included for it. The basic aircraft takes up a lot less space. You could download and install, then delete the paints you don't want to shrink things down a triffle :D

Then stash the download .zip file someplace, or delete it, and boom, problem solved.

It's worth it though. Some really quality paints in it. They did some super good work.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived