How to keep the aircraft wheels locked in the up position?

ColR1948

I asked this on the FSX forum, I think I read somewhere the best was was to use MCX to lock the wheels up but I may have misread it, I have got MCX but couldn't see where to do this.

I was told in the other forum it can't be done with MCX but it can be done in the aircraft.cfg I looked in to it and changed the contact points on sections 11&12 to zero but it made no difference, I then altered the points after that to zero and tested each time but again no difference.

The reason I wanted this is I have a few amphibian aircraft I'm using as AI and wanted the wheels to stay locked up, more for visual purposes really as I have them flying OK.

What I do at the moment is change the contact points to lower the aircraft so it sits slightly lower in the water and hides the wheels, but obviously as it leaves the water the gear is down till it reaches a certain height before it retracts.

Same with landing, it lowers the gear but once on the water you don't see it because as I said I lowered the points.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Col.

Hi,

1. Import plane into MCX.

2. Open the Animation Manager (button along the top).

3. Click the Select None button.

4. Click the box twice for everything in the list that has the name gear in it.

5. Slide the slider at the bottom of the window so the gear is retracted. (Usually at 0).

6. Click the Fix Selected Animations button.

7. Slide the slider and check that the gear no longer extends, and that nothing else is a problem.

8. Close the Animation Manager with the red X at the upper right of the box.

9. Click Export Object along the top.

10. In the Save as Type drop down box, choose the MDL file type you need.

11. Give the MDL file a NEW NAME - do not override the original MDL file (unless you have backed it up somewhere else).

12. Click the Save button.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the instructions, I followed them to the letter, after I changed the model, I tested it in the sim, watched it taxi, it bounced a bit then as it left the water the gear was still down.

The model I tried was the MAAM XC-47 floatplane, I haven't tried it on anything else, so is it the model that won't allow modifications I wonder?

I'll go and try a different aircraft, I will report back.

Col.

Something must have happened to MCX, when I click to close the animation with the redX I get the blue wheel spinning then at the top I get 'program not responding' nothing happens after that, if I click the redX again I get the popup to close the program.

Col.

Model Converter X (10)

I thought he was using FSX at first, but this is posted in the FS9 forum, so I are confoosed too...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I am using FSX, but the reason I posted here was, I saw a thread somewhere where Tom Gibson commented on using MCX to change certain model features, plus on the FSX forum a guy there said it couldn't be done using MCX.

Well I know Tom comes on here so that was one reason I posted plus some of the aircraft I'm using are FS9 models, I hope this relieves your confusion lol.

Col.

MCX is ModelconverterX, and I just tried my instructions above and it worked fine.

Note that if you change the name of the MDL file you will also need to change the name of the MDL file listed in the model.cfg file, found in the same folder as the MDL files. If not, FS will use the original MDL file.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi Tom, try as I may I still can't get it to work, like I said in my above posts it is more for visual than anything else so I can live with it.

Thank you once again for helping out, I do appreciate it.

I post a pic of my version of MCX, is that the screen you get when importing a model?

Col.MCX screen.jpg

Archived