Square blocks around lights...

Hi all!

Well suddenly I now have blocks around lighting, whether it be on the aircraft I'm flying or lights on the runway or taxiway et cetera.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution?

I also used to be able to screen print, but now all I get is a black screen from it. So I've had to take a photo of the screen.

I've attached a couple of images so you can see what I mean. You can finally see the flight simulator logo in the box of light.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Steve - Is this a default aircraft, freeware? I recently had a freeward aircraft I downloaded and in the lighting section of aircraft.cfg, I noticed they showed shockwave reference which I did not have. I got rid of any references to shockwave, and the aircraft lighting worked fine. That's for aircraft! As far as runway and taxiway lighting, that is puzzling!

Good luck, looks like Mr Z "is on this" and I am sure he can find the help you need! God only knows he's been there for me plenty of times!

Rick

There is a download for fsx of a file: halo.bmp

that causes these effect problems. Did you install that?

(i think it's in folder ../microsoft flight simulator x/effects/texture)

If you did, restore the default file.

(the black printscreen is not because of halo.bmp)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks like some light effects have become contaminated. Any new downloads or install of any new aircraft before this happened?

Hi, yes it was either the freeware Mallard or Goose from Rokoooo. I've uninstalled them both now and won't bother with them again.

There is a download for fsx of a file: halo.bmp

that causes these effect problems. Did you install that?

(i think it's in folder ../microsoft flight simulator x/effects/texture)

If you did, restore the default file.

(the black printscreen is not because of halo.bmp)

No, I didn't install that. It was after installing a couple of freeware aircraft from the Rikoooo website. No problems with other aircraft in the past.

Thanks for you message!;-)

OK so after reading a few similar threads and the seeming possibility that it has something weirdly to do with the gauges, I downloaded an FSX Gauges and Effects Recovery Tool from the Rikoooo website.

After running and restoring the default files it now seems that the problem is fixed. I've tried different aircraft just to be sure and all now show normal lighting.;-)

Here is a link to the Recovery Tool...

https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/8/256

Many thanks to all who have replied and offered their help.;-)

Nice find and thanks for the follow up so others who may have this issue will know how to fix it. Downloading that now to file away in case I need it. Download mighty slow though. I have a 100 MbPS connection and it's like 100KbPS. Edit- Just realized why the connection is so slow. I'm using the free download service. LOL

Another avenue you could have pursued is a repair install using the FSX disks. But I read to do that you first have to uninstall the FSX service packs. Never ran a repair install myself, and hope I never have to. I make periodic clones of my computer to an external HDD, so I guess if I needed to copy over good Sim files I'd just pull out my clone and copy from that. I also plan on buying a blu-ray burner and using double layer disks, split the Sim in two and burn that to two disks every 6 months or so.

• 1 month later...
Nice find and thanks for the follow up so others who may have this issue will know how to fix it. Downloading that now to file away in case I need it. Download mighty slow though. I have a 100 MbPS connection and it's like 100KbPS. Edit- Just realized why the connection is so slow. I'm using the free download service.

Many thanks CRJ!

I'm thinking of getting a Blu-Ray burner too. Mighty useful! And yes, the free Rikoooo service is SLOW but it gets there in the end! Giggity!

Archived