Can't get fsx to load, where to look for problem?

Good morning! I have tried to double click on my desktop icon for FSX. The large FSX square appears, only to disappear several seconds later. I have tried to run the Repair disks, same thing? Anyone who might know where to start looking?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions! - Rick

So the splash screen never really appears? Have you tried going to My Documents/Flight Simulator X folder...open it and rename logbook.bin to something like logbook_orig.bin and then see if FSX will start?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr Z - splash screen (large X) does appear, but falls off, not to open the program!

My Documents/Flight Simulator X folder appears to only have saved flight plans?

Looks like this!

logbook.JPG

Mr Z - I did find the file and renamed it, restarted the computer and the splash screen stayed up longer, but still fell off! No, I have not looked at the Events viewer, I probably wouldn't know how to read it anyway? Any suggestions?

What passes the process from the splash screen to the opening of the program. Is there like an autoexec.bat or similar in FSX?

Should I try to run the repair disc again, just for the "hey" of it?

Mr Z - I did find the file and renamed it, restarted the computer and the splash screen stayed up longer, but still fell off! No, I have not looked at the Events viewer, I probably wouldn't know how to read it anyway? Any suggestions?

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a

Faulting process id: 0x748

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4

Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll

Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,

you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->

Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.

Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Something to contemplate......you said you ran the Repair option with the discs. Did you uninstall SP1 and SP2 first? If not, I think you are screwed. It happened to me about 6 months ago. You may be in for a total reinstall.

Something to contemplate......you said you ran the Repair option with the discs. Did you uninstall SP1 and SP2 first? If not, I think you are screwed. It happened to me about 6 months ago. You may be in for a total reinstall.

I have always run the repair discs without removing anything. I don't know if I even have SP1 or SP2, as I have never downloaded the acceleration disk.

I pulled up the event viewer, nothing relating to FSX

You know, Mr Z, this morning I had explorer.exe fail to come up several times, and I finally did a system restore back to a previous time. I then got everything working, but could not open FSX? When I did a repair disc and went into my files I have several of my add-on aircraft that show today's date on them, as if it is appearing that they have been updated somehow? I have never seen those dates change from the original date of download! Something strange is going on!

Mr Z - I don't know if this helped or not, but I ran the repair discs again, and I am up and running!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! to say the least!

Thanks, I did manage to learn a few things this morning from you comments! Have a super day!

Rick

Change the FSX.CFG to FSX.CFG.OLD. Give it another try.

Cheers,

Mabe - Sorry, I didn't see your post until now, but I do appreciate you responding! I did get it going, don't know if it was the second repair disc run or what? Don't really care now that it's going! What a scare! My wife reads books, I fly the flight sim!

Thanks and have a nice day! - Rick

Sometimes the Situation= line in the FSX.cfg file just needs everything after the = deleted to solve that problem.

Another thing that can cause it is if the logbook.bin, in the same folder as the FSX.CFG file, is corrupted. There are a number of Logbook repair softwares available here in the library to fix that little irritant.

That happens on occasion if you edit a logbook entry. Date, flight hours, whatever...

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Glad I could be of help!

Good luck. :cool:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived