Thread: DC3 Airways announces Berlin Airlift series 2018!

Default DC3 Airways announces Berlin Airlift series 2018!

DC3 Airways Multiplayer Division announces it's 2018 re-enactment and commemoration of the Berlin Airlift, which began back in June 1948.

There are commemorative events being held this June in Berlin I understand, and DCA will also do it's own tribute flights commencing Saturday 9th June for 5 weeks, each session commencing at 18:00z.

The dates for this mini series are for the 5 Saturdays 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th June and 7th July.

More details will be appended to this post as details are finalised. For the moment please familiarise yourselves with the attached charts etc. to get an idea of what the airlift was about. I have also included some links to get a historical perspective on the events of 1948/49 and to get an appreciation of what we will be trying to replicate.

Essentially there were a number of airfields in western Germany that the British, French and Americans used to transport supplies to the beleaguered people of West Berlin, in effect providing a lifeline to 2 million Berliners.

The airlift involved implementing corridors, waypoints and altitude and speed restrictions to maximise the tonnage into the city and maximise the flights both in and out of the 3 German airports.

Pilots will need to be able to navigate via NDB's, control airspeed in climb and descent and to adhere to departure and approach procedures to ensure separation and safe passage in what will undoubtedly be busy airspace. It will challenge us in different ways and make us better appreciate the skills and efforts of the men of 1948/49 who ensured the freedom of West Berlin and ultimately ensured the unification of Germany in 1989.

Files will be provided to implement the numerous NDB's used and textual descriptions of the routes we will undertake. Flight plan files for software such as Plan-G, FS Commander and LittleNavmap will NOT be provided nor should they be created. By all means use your flight planning software as an electronic paper chart but by not connecting your sim software to it you are ensuring a greater immersion and realism to fly like they did in reality, using cockpit instruments, speed and altitude etc. rather than any autopilot or 'follow this route' options.

These 5 sessions will be opened up to other organisations to participate, such as Bluegrass, Flightsim.com and such so that we can have a maximum participation to fill the skies and perhaps non DCA pilots will fly some of the other non Douglas aircraft types to provide a wider respresentation of the event with aircraft such as the Sunderland flying boat, HP Hastings, Avro Tudor etc..

Further details will be posted in a week or so, so check back for more information as regards routs, weather etc..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chart #2 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	402.2 KB 
ID:	202878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airlift Fields and Routes (Custom).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	377.0 KB 
ID:	202879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berlin Area Procedures FS2004.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	202880  

Cool

Brilliant mate, thanks!!

Folks, the events produced and run by DCA have been of the best on the internet.

This will prove to be well worth the time and effort for set up.

Being prepared ahead of time is essential.

Always a very supportive and friendly crowd.

Cheers Glen,
    salt_air

Extensive flight planning is the key to proper operation.

If anyone from Flightsim.com or elsewhere is interested in participating in this event would they please post their interest here and state what flight simulation software they use.

Our multiplayer events take place on FSINN but you can also connect using FSD Proxy and Vpilot once supplied with the connection details.

We are currently reviewing the best means to facilitate non DCA members taking part.

Oh man! Do I wish I could join in this year.
    I participated in the 2015 or 2016 Operation Market Garden event (I can't remember exact which/when), and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was a real joy to work with the DCA folks, getting the right plane set up, the scenerys loaded, and the FSINN comms set up and running.

Sadly, some medical problems preclude my participation this year. My ISP seems to to be randomly in and out as well.

I still wish I could join DCA in this amazing event. It actually felt like I was THERE. Never had a more enjoyable experience.

If you want a realistic, pleasant, totally amazing MP experience, the DCA events are IT!!!

Pat☺
    Last edited by PhantomTweak; 05-06-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now