Private Pilot Medical Question

Hello, i'm in the beginning stages towards my dream career as an airline pilot, and just finished my ground school class. I'm going to begin my flight lessons, and I am getting my private pilot medical on May 10 (Currently April 27). I'm not really sure what the AME is going to look for, but I want to go to a party tonight. I'm a little paranoid about this whole medical thing because I dont want any alchol showing up on my test (especially because im under 21). Do they look at that stuff? I don't smoke so I know i'll be fine for a drug test tho. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

KISS (keep it simple, stupid)! as in don't do anything that will affect your medical tests. You better believe there will be blood test, urine sample(s), Maybe even as far as heart tests (EKG). Do your partying after the medical exam.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

was an aerospace physiologist for the navy many eons ago, The FAA has a set of guideline for a flight surgeon who does your exam. How ever each particular airlines have their own requirements also. How ever I would be more worried about you psychological status....really, a life changing goal is about to come your way and your concern is rather you should drink or not. You need to grow up and take this more seriously. I've picked up pilot part over to much cough syrup.
Computer, lots of electrical thingys

Yeah, the Navy is pretty twitchy about things like that. They don't even permit the use of energy drinks for the pilots/flight crewmen. None of them. Same for a lot of "supplements". I don't even think they allow things like GNC's MegaMen supplement. They show up on a urinalysis, you got problems with the Flight Surgeon, CO, etc.

Of course, coffee is permitted. Heck, in the Navy, I think it's encouraged!

When I was in, working 2300-0700, I'd go through almost 3 liters of the stuff a night, and I wasn't the heaviest coffee-er. We'd open the shop on Sunday night, drain the leftover coffee that had been sitting all weekend, and nuke it while fresh was being brewed. Called it Officer's Tarring Compound.

:p

It's the life-blood of the Navy/Marines, especially in the Aviation community.

Have fun, and great good fortune in you career! I hope it's a long, boring one.

Excitement is NOT a thing pilots look for!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

You may want to talk to your CFI before you get your medical.

Things to consider:

Do I need a 1, 2, 3rd class? You may want to start out with the 3rd.

Do I want to get the medical before I start the actual flying?

One thing is definite, as others have mentioned, you Do Not want to mix the Flying with any alcohol or drugs, or any other reality altering substances. Flying will give you all the Highs you need, and in some cases some pilots use other artificial means to cope with it because it becomes too much to handle. When and if that happens stay away from flying, the two do not mix.

As we all know, a miscalculation in flight simming often can lead to many problems...

Not to have a clear head, and a lack of laser focus in real flights can often ruin your whole day....

(That also includes your passengers' day as well).

• 1 month later...
Back when I started flying the scale of medicals depended on age. Until 40 years of age an air medical was valid for five years and was a simple exercise - eyesight, hearing, lifestyle questions, listening through a stethoscope, checking weight and so forth. Basic stuff. From forty years of age the ECG makes an appearance and the period shortens to two years. At my age (an ancient fifty seven, I might expect a full medical every six months)

Archived