Fsw

andyjohnston

FSW got off to a really slow start while the other Big Three flight sim apps were forging ahead, esp.

with all the new fabulous payware being offered. I think there was never a WOW factor with FSW to draw enough simmers to switch in any significant numbers... But, I do feel bad for the Dovetail team now left to ponder their futures...

There was so much wrong... Paying for a beta release?

Erm... asking the community for help? Not a bad thing, but each & everyone of us have different requirements for our hobby, then... Steam, DLC's, the list goes on.

Really, no surprise here, their accountants & shareholders saw the light first.

Methinks DTG must stick to trains & fishing?

After the "Flight" debacle I was hoping these larger developers would learn a lesson.

Okay, we will pay $50-65 for the simulator. Don't ask us to pay another $40.00 for one

incomplete aircraft DLC. Seriously? Yes, I know how many hours it takes to develop these

products, I've been doing it myself for the last 24 years. You never ever make back what you

put in on hours. I think something these folks do not realize is by sheer longevity WE actually

own this hobby, we've earned it by right of passage through blood, sweat, and tears and our own development efforts; both freeware and commercial. Here is the kicker:

I've just spent the last month by customer request developing new audio packages for the aircraft in FSW! Wow, what a cosmic joke on me!! But this is a good example of what happens to us little guys

in the simulation world. Approximately 340 hours of work down the tubes! POOF!!

Okay, done with my little rant :)

Cheers and Blue Skies everyone!

Aaron

Aaron

In a way, you can see that MS were right to quit 10 years ago. FSX took it about as far as is possible without inordinate amounts of work, possibly never to see the returns.

Probably the same reason Nextgen FS never got going too.

It's a shame and i applaud Dovetail for giving it a go, though for me i think they should have waited until their sim was better than FSX until releasing it.

Aerofly FS2 seems to be shaping up well but i still await certain aspects to be added before jumping ship from FSX.

At the end of the day we all want different things from our simulators and i suspect it's just about impossible to please everyone.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Since FSW is off the table, I have to wonder if they will go back to working on FSX SE. There is still so much that can be done since this is used quite extensively next to the regular FSX version.

Edward K.

They don't have the rights to do anything more than fix enough to get FSX running on Steam and replace the multiplayer. Any new development has to be for a new sim based on the MS flight sim code.

What amazes me is the number of people, maybe not so much here but certainly at the "A" forum, seemingly defending DTG. Guys, these people took your money, then ganked you. The company is still trading - it's not like they went out of business and they still have all that early access money for something that will never be finished. In any other line of business, that would be classed as fraud and the perpetrator find themselves in court. Instead of which DTG and Steam hide behind EULA's and T&C's and because it's software, everyone just seems to think aw that's okay then. If it was a builder who half finished your house but was working on one in the next street, there would be trouble!
Vern.

They don't have the rights to do anything more than fix enough to get FSX running on Steam and replace the multiplayer. Any new development has to be for a new sim based on the MS flight sim code.

Which FSW would have been since I read FSW was based on FSX. From what I have found online, DTG did come out with patches for FSX SE after the initial release to fix performance issues. If they can do this, then there could be other areas that they can work with.

Again, the agreement they had forbid them from making anything more than minor fixes to FSX to distribute it through Steam. Enhancements to FSX itself, beyond replacing the original Gamespy based multiplayer, were not allowed. All other development work had to be part of a new sim, even if that new sim was based on the code for FSX. Dovetail clarified this multiple times when they first acquired the rights from MS. So, no, they can't develop FSX any further without the license agreement being changed.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-flight-simulator-series-to-live-on-but-n/1100-6421000/

Which FSW would have been since I read FSW was based on FSX. From what I have found online, DTG did come out with patches for FSX SE after the initial release to fix performance issues. If they can do this, then there could be other areas that they can work with.

You can wish until the cows come home, but there is not going to be any further development for FSX SE.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Archived