Flightsim world closure announced by DTG:

HyFlyer

Not a surprise. I know there were some updates to the UI, but other than that I don't know if they ever did anything with this program which they themselves said was incomplete.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

This flightsim had such future potential if they had only made it a little bit backward compatible with the thousands of FSX addons. I wouldn't expect everything to work. Plus the interface was not user friendly. I am saddened but not surprised.

Flight Simming is a tough market to crack unless you have very deep pockets. It relies on a relatively small number of users who have come to expect the entire world at a level of fidelity undreamed of even ten years ago. Without vast resources and the ability to almost instantly integrate most existing add-ons, any such project is doomed to failure. The popularity of the Flight Sim franchise has, in many ways, stymied any radical new development. Flight enthusiasts well understand the effects of weight and inertia. My hat is off to Dovetail for giving it a shot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

You are absolutely correct. I said exactly that to Dovetail Games, if only they had listened many many people must have also told them that backward compatibilty was a must to help sell the product to get it going. In the right hands it could have been an FSX replacement because let's face it and this is exactly what I said `Most people only want a 64bit FSX' we have everything else. Ah well lockeed Martin listened!

I wonder if Steam will now be investigating Dovetail activities? Here we have a company that has reneged on its early access promise despite having quite possibly taken over £1million in sales (Steam Spy shows up to 50k copies sold) but are now sitting behind the ea "policy" and Steam's autobot refund refuser. Yet just today they issued another train sim DLC at £25 a shot.

There must be something that can be done to bring this company to boot - it's not the money (I put £20 of fuel in the car each week) more the principle that in any other walk of business this type of action would be regarded as fraud.

Vern.

Read the EULA, Vern, for god's sake man. YOU agreed to buy the software AS IS with no guarantee of it ever being completed in any way. Steam's refund policy for ALL game titles is less than 2 hour's play within 2 weeks of purchase, and always has been. Grow up.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Read the EULA, Vern, for god's sake man. YOU agreed to buy the software AS IS with no guarantee of it ever being completed in any way. Steam's refund policy for ALL game titles is less than 2 hour's play within 2 weeks of purchase, and always has been. Grow up.

Stockholm Syndrome at its finest... only around software. The company took in a large number of people and several £100k on the grounds of a software product that just needed a bit of community polish. They walk away from it after a year whether due to financial circumstances or professional incompetency leaving a half finished game (we didn't even get a passenger jet), still holding on to our money and don't give a carp about the people they ganked - merrily continuing to sell their train sim products at £25 a crack.

Hide behind EA agreement and EULA's all you like, that is still sharp practice. At best, Steam should be booting them as a developer who's products they sell and I for one will consider contacting Trading Standards to get their take on the matter.

Vern.

I hope you can get Legal Aid Vern, a fool and his money.... Keep us posted on your progress mate!

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Now it's your turn to "grow up". No-one is going to take DTG or Steam to court over £20 (and unfortunately they know it), but I do hope enough people hear of this saga think twice before giving them any more money for a single piece of their other mundane software.
Vern.

So you've read the DTG EULA and Steam's T's & C's at last then. Welcome to Big School.

Alright then Mr Keyboard Lawyer, let's spin this another way. Given that Valve and DTG *can* hide behind their EULA etc...

1. Do you think it is right that a company can act in this way?

2. Do you think it is ethical for a company to act in this way?

3. Do you think it is right for a company to take customers' money on the premise a product is almost ready but to involve the community in the final stages, then pull the plug?

4. Do you think it right that a company still trading and employing several score people can simply walk away from an under development product because it no longer meets their business case, despite having taken peoples' money, without any recourse?

5. Will you be happy to buy future products from Dovetail Games?

6. Do you work for Dovetail Games and therefore posting from a biased point of view?

Vern.

1-4: Yes, as already explained to you

5: Maybe

6: No

If you buy into Early Access - there is no guarantee that the product will ever be finished, so no one to blame but one’s self. And to be honest FSW is very usable in its present form, maybe not to what expectations some may have, but is a nice limited entertainment product that can still be used.

In fact I just loaded MS Flight which is still available for download and had a few hours of fun messing with it once again.

So since FSW is usable in its present form, and many got it for free for having purchased Flight School that was known to be a limited production - or paid less than $40.00 for nearly a hundred hours of entertainment in my case - I do not understand the whining and complaining that frankly sounds like a toddler who lost their toy out of the pram...

I also have nearly 4500 hours in their Train Simulator product. While there are nits and problems with both their and 3rd party DLC, I have never felt ripped off since all purchases are voluntary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

That's was I was thinking. Those of us who used and enjoyed Flight found ourselves in the same situation. Except Flight was done by Microsoft, lot a little company like DTG.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

I was hoping for further development, I thought it had great potential. But I don't feel cheated, I bought the Flight School out of curiosity for $15 and they gave me FSW for free.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

I seen this coming to. I also seen the Froogle sim video about this. all they wanted to was push DLC instead of trying to invite the big developers of software like A2A or PMDG or any thing like that. so with no add-ons like for FSX or prepared or X-plane I could see it wasn't going any where. plus on steam it just got nothing but negative reviews any way. people go by reviews for a product. and see all negative and got turned off to the whole thing.
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

all they wanted to was push DLC instead of trying to invite the big developers of software like A2A or PMDG or any thing like that.

When Microsoft leased the FSX licence to Dovetail Games in preference to a rival bid from a consortium of well-known flightsim developers and publishers, those developers and publishers closed ranks against Dovetail Games.

If you've ever wondered why AES Credits don't work in FSX:SE, and never will, now you know.

That's why those 'in the know' initially predicted the inevitable failure of FSW.

Those who jumped on the bandwagon added the lack of content, the business plan and anything else they could think of, but the root cause went deeper, wider, and much further back than that.

i know businesses need to make money. but like the video I seen that's all DTG was doing on there face book page. I seen pictures of the P40 they had made for example it looked like $%^& compared to the A2A one. the only scenery they had that I'm aware of was the big bear stuff. which imo did not look to good either. it looked like the textures were missing. it's not FSX or the other big sims. I didn't think it would last.
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

Archived