Wanting to learn something with FSX

Downwind66

I have had a first and I will describe best as I can:

Downloaded an Airbus A319, upon flying I noticed a very pleasing instrument panel, unlike what I have seen before with any of the Airbus lines. My question to you all, is when I go into the aircraft file and open the panel for this new download, this is what is see:

FOLDER A321

FOLDER GPWS

FOLDER reb-gauges

FOLDER Z_AB320KM

Looks pretty straight forward, but when opening each one, they are EMPTY!!! How can one get a perfectly working panel and have all it's folders empty?

Question 2 - What is GPWS that appears on the panel? I assume that mean Ground Proximity Warning System? What and when will this appear? So far, I only get one little tab highlighted out of maybe 8 in the window? What does each tab represent?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Rick

Under the panel.cfg do you see code there that says it's aliased to anything? Also, the panel.cfg will list the gauges and you can use the program everything.exe from Void Tools to look for those gauges.

Edit-

Tried downloading the plane but it's caped to a slow 50K per second. Ain't no one got time for that. Especially for a 30 MB file.

Under the panel.cfg do you see code there that says it's aliased to anything? Also, the panel.cfg will list the gauges and you can use the program everything.exe from Void Tools to look for those gauges.

Edit-

Tried downloading the plane but it's caped to a slow 50K per second. Ain't no one got time for that. Especially for a 30 MB file.

Aaron - That's the strange part! I looked for anything saying "aliased", nothing! Just 4 folders with nothing in them. I have never seen anything like it. Not complaining, I love the panel that it gives me. You didn't hear this from me, I even tried copying the "PANEL" folder and moving it to another aircraft, and wouldn't you know, it worked on that aircraft! How can you copy nothing and apply it to another aircraft and have it work? That is why my post says, "Wanting to learn something with FSX!"

I was curious and had a little time so I downloaded it.

I use 7Zip to extract all my downloads, and use the mouse right click menu to 7zip extract here (directly to the folder I downloaded it into - for later storage).

All my folders from the DL are populated with files.......

including the \Panel \Panel\A321 \Panel\GPWS \Panel\rcb-gauges \Panel\Z_AB320KM

But..... all the file icons are "feint" (like they were greyed out) non-solid file icons are shown only in the \Panel & sub-folders & \Model folder (strange!! - Cant work this out) its as though the decompressed DL has not fully extracted or the file attribute has been locked to "read only" because all other icons appear normal.

Here's a few pics of folders/files from my test install, see the feint file icons)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202792[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]202793[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]202794[/ATTACH]

Incidently - this aircraft appears to use both the default A321 interior model VC, and the A319-100 2D - No VC panel. So the VC is aliased to the default A321 per the model.cfg and for 2D uses the supplied Panel bitmap .bmp's and gauges.

On the simivation download page the authors info says that this A319-100 uses a default A321 2D panel and has (no VC) panel. The POSKY model has been retrofitted by the author where POSKY had no further intention to update for use in FSX as it was made and tested in FS2004 only, but now works in FSX and now has a VC aliased to the default A321.

Only thing I can suggest to the OP is to make sure you have selected in your Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder options > View tab > "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" then you might see the files however feintly displayed. If you still don't see the files within these Panel folders then you may have an incomplete/corrupt Download or the package did not extract properly. Why not give 7Zip or WinZip a try, try to avoid the OS extraction tool. Always extract .zip packages to a temporary folder or one you create, examine the folder/file structure and read all docs before installing to your sim, make backups in your sim where possible overwrites might occur, (saves on headaches).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202795[/ATTACH]

The only things you need to do with the installation is move or copy/paste the "Frontier Airlines" folder to your "\SimObjects\Airplanes" folder and the contents of the "effects" folder into your FSX "Effects" folder. You will also be asked via Trust dialog on first use to trust the GPWS gauge in your FSX.cfg "Say yes" to add the gauge to your cfg.

Some differences noted in VC between the default A321 and this A319 would be the more subdued cockpit and internal lighting, whereas the default A321 has a more overbright flooded lighting effect.

The GPWS panel is available in the 2D panel view (just adjacent and to the right of the MFD (you'll see it is labelled "GPWS")

It all seems to work and the Model & textures look quite nice. I did however have a CTD on exit but most likely there is a conflicting gauge or effect file in the package or the whole Panel folder file icons problem is presenting as a CTD on exit but not in the Sim. (more investigation is needed)

Hope that helps

Ran out of time to add to my above post - additional info on the GPWS

The GPWS panel is available in the 2D panel view (just adjacent and to the right of the MFD (you'll see it is labelled "GPWS") This "GroundProximityWarningSystem" indicates (altitude callout, terrain warning, glideslope, alarms) it is on automatically, you deactivate by clicking on the individual buttons (they will turn red) on the panel, hovering over the letters GPWS you can increase /decrease decision height, left of GPWS is TOGA on/off and right of GPWS is ON/off toggle "test-mode" where all buttons turn yellow. (remember its a basic gauge bitmap, so the buttons are the small rectangles indicated by popup yellow descriptions as you hover the mouse over each one) When you're in the air the buttons become indicator lamps displaying a yellow visual warning on each activated button with a corresponding verbal warning if the warning parameters are met, if you are not in danger they will remain grey. The only button in normal safe flight indicated as on may be the TOGA toggle indicated with yellow lamp.

Thanks Jethrom! Still remains a mystery to me! That is why I wanted to get the forum's member's opinion, as I had never seen anything like this before.

When I downloaded, I chose "download to save" then extracted from download to a Temp Folder I have created. From there, I do go in and read the "Readme" to see what special things I have to look for in getting the aircraft to the proper place. When I got everything the way I wanted, I opened the aircraft for a test flight, only to find square images around some of the exterior lighting. Most of the files in the effects folder was for files I already had, so I let them stay without overwriting. On more research, I discovered in the aircraft CFG file, the developer had chosen to go with Shockwave on some of his lighting entries which I suspected and confirmed was causing the square image around some of the aircraft lights. Lights 2,3,6 and 7 I deleted the Shockwave reference and went with the file format he had included in his original effects folder and agreed with my A320 lighting sections, and the problem with the square image lighting went away. I did, however, keep the 3 shockwave landing light entries, and checked those to be sure they worked, which they did!

Oh well, I guess I will just keep an eye on this particular download to make sure there are no future issues that may come up un-expectantly!

Thanks again Jethrom for all your input! - Rick

Jethrom - I took your advice, opened Windows Explorer Tools and checked the "Show hidden files...."

and now I can see the additional files in the Panel folder! I do like that panel and would have loved to use it on some of my other Airbus aircraft, but, I am not taking a chance on something being wrong with that download! Oh well, didn't learn all the whys and wherefors for this download, but I know more this more morning about it, than what I knew yesterday!

Thanks - Rick

Excellent Rick, so you now see the files in each folder of the Panel folder including the root Panel folder.

I've been doing a little investigation as to why my icons were greyed out (feint), and found that every file in the Panel folder and subfolders had a "Hidden attribute" applied to every file.

It was not possible to remove the attribute at the folder properties level, so I opened each of the folders and selected all files within, when highlighted I right clicked properties and removed the check from the Attributes "hidden box" clicked on "apply" then "OK" to close the dialog and voila, all icons are now fully visible un-greyed like all my other icons.

You should do the above process for all files in the following folders in your "\SimObjects\Frontier Airlines" installation:

\Panel

\Panel\A321

\Panel\GPWS

\Panel\rcb-gauges

\Panel\Z_AB320KM

\model

\sound

I'm off to test wether this makes a difference where I was having CTD's since test install and this aircraft. Fingers crossed as well because I too like the Panel in this A319-100 and the Frontier external texture.

I didn't notice any lighting irregularities as you did, because I run A2A Redux Shockwave lights for most of my aircraft fleet already.

I would strongly advise not using the panel as substitute in your Default A321 because you would then not have a default A321 panel to which this panel and model is aliased.

Cheers Jethro

Hi Rick,

That should be Ok as long as the aircraft's model - internal .mdl is able to incorporate the VC panel's

I'm not a panel modeller but I would think the easiest way would be to alaise the panel.cfg of the other Airbus's to this one, making sure they are not still configured or aliased to their current 2D & VC cockpits. (Sounds simple but to be honest, theres a lot of mucking around just to find it doesn't work as expected, especially with the additional Panels and model complications)

One thing I should add to my previous post is changing the Hidden attribute also for all the files in the \Sound folder as done for the \Panel and \Model folders

I will correct this in the above post to show same edit addition.

Excellent Rick, so you now see the files in each folder of the Panel folder including the root Panel folder.

I've been doing a little investigation as to why my icons were greyed out (feint), and found that every file in the Panel folder and subfolders had a "Hidden attribute" applied to every file.

It was not possible to remove the attribute at the folder properties level, so I opened each of the folders and selected all files within, when highlighted I right clicked properties and removed the check from the Attributes "hidden box" clicked on "apply" then "OK" to close the dialog and voila, all icons are now fully visible un-greyed like all my other icons.

You should do the above process for all files in the following folders in your "\SimObjects\Frontier Airlines" installation:

\Panel

\Panel\A321

\Panel\GPWS

\Panel\rcb-gauges

\Panel\Z_AB320KM

\model

Cheers Jethro

Jethro - Done! Let me know how you make out on the test! So far you have been "spot on" in the info you are giving me! Glad you like this panel as much as I do! Maybe you can figure out how it could be used for other "non-default" aircraft!

Hi Rick, will do on the test, when I have some time I'll also test the panel in some of my other freeware Airbus tubes that have no VC aliased. I think The lighting in this cockpit setup is impressive by comparison.

Can you give me a link to the Delta & JetBlue A320's you mentioned above. That way I can experiment directly, and pass on the result and/or what config to use when aliasing the panel.

Cheers Jethro

Jethro - I copied the panel over to those 2 - A320's and all works well. I am, however, getting the same error message on exiting as I get with the A319. Let me see if I can find those links.

Here's the link to the Delta A320: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3774/fsx-delta-airlines-airbus-a320/

Here's the Jet Blue link: https://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-21077.html

Jethro - Okay, I've been whittling away at the Panel folder. This is what I moved to a Temp file, didn't really need the GPWS, didn't do much for my flying. Also, other items I moved:

GPWS

rcb-gauges

GPWS_sound.gau

panel.BackupXGaugeWizard

panel.XGaugeWizard

PAPA320_W (this is a cabinet folder)

I test flew the aircraft and all flies well. Also, when exiting, I do not get any error message!!! It's the way I like it, check it out, see what you think?

Rick

Hi Rick,

Well I'm back after a few hours kip!

Read your latest post/s. After a few late nite/early morning flying hours, (Many CTD's when exiting sim or changing from fullscreen to Window mode or returning from time season reset to load different TOD - "immediate crash")).

Essentially the plane flew well & behaved as expected, I also had a chance to familiarise myself with the panels and functions of various ops, took a hard look at the model, livery & panel, and the way it flys, and I like it. I will test out the Delta and JetBlue liveries soon.

Thanks for those aircraft links, and the extra info on possible folders/files that may be causing the CTD and error.

I kinda suspected it might be an incompatible GPWS or rcb gauge that may have been causing the CTD's, after all they were made for FS2004. Its nice to have such things to play with but they can also be infuriating when bleeping warnings, (they always send me into a state of confusion when there are multiple warnings telling me just how badly I'm handling the controls). This I too can live/fly without.

Glad to know that the \Z_AB320KM & \A321 folders can stay without causing issues, as it is part of the main & upper panel and crucial systems.

The programmable Honeywell FMC can stay as well I guess without causing issues.

Happy also to know you had successful test/s implementing the Panel/s into your other Airbus's.

I will do the same, thankyou for your perseverance.

Happy flights

Cheers Jethro

Archived