Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIDs/STARs/Transitions/Vias. Some practical advice, please?

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    where did this "manual" waypoint come from, is that something you added?
    Quote Originally Posted by martinstebbing View Post
    No, it is generated by LittleNavMap along with the STAR. From what I have been told on X-Plane forums, this is perfectly normal.
    If the software is going to add waypoints that do not actually exist, all bets are off.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

If the software is going to add waypoints that do not actually exist
    Manual is not a waypoint. It is an indication that a heading, track or a hold is held until terminated by ATC ('Manual termination').. If you Google 'Procedural Leg Types', it is explained in most of the pdf files that come up (at least the ones I have downloaded).

Manual is not a waypoint.
    On your screen shot it sure looks like a waypoint. In any case, that means it's not part of the STAR, just an artifact of the software. And those of us who don't run that software can't help with that -- in fact it might be that X-Plane does something weird, for all I know, since I don't use it either. Whatever it is, it's different from the real world, so you need experts on that.

Perhaps the X-Plane forum might have been more help for you, and since there are differences from what the real world does -- perhaps they can help. Or perhaps there's a forum for your software?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes, I can get help with both on other forums, but I think that I have to accept that many things in X-Plane, good as they are, are never going to be perfectly exact replicas of the real world. (And since I am not a real-world pilot of Airbuses or Boeings, I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway when it comes to the finer details).

The 'Manual' indication on the map is not an invention of LittleNavMap - it is just how the map indicates the end point of a Manual Termination procedure. How closely that procedure in the map software reflects Manual Termination procedures in the real world, I couldn't say.

In essence, given that by adding Transitions and Vias to my flight plans over the past few days, I have got some odd results in the aircraft FMC (fairly long detours in the wrong direction, for instance), and that I am in front of my PC console and not real cockpit instruments, I think I should compromise between what I understand to be real-world procedure and what I can realistically achieve in X-Plane (taking into account the limitations of X-Plane, my ATC programme and of my ability to get my head around the finer points of this)... or I shall never get any actual flying done.
    Last edited by martinstebbing; 04-23-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Well, hopefully you have something to work with now, so good luck.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks. By the time I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks I'll doubtless have forgotten half of it!

Quote Originally Posted by martinstebbing View Post
    Using your analogy of a car - not so good for me as I have never driven a car in the 60 years of my life
    OMG - How is such a thing even POSSIBLE in the developed world? I'm aghast and mystified.

In some large cities there are some folks who have always depended on public transportation such as cabs, buses and subways or other trains for example. A place such as New York or London likely has quite a few people like that, Los Angeles probably not so much.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I moved away from London to get away from that problem.
    It was much simpler, driving in Southampton!

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass View Post
    OMG - How is such a thing even POSSIBLE in the developed world? I'm aghast and mystified.
    My great grandfather was born and lived in Chicago all his life. He'd take the trolley and I'm sure other forms of public transportation as the years went on. When his wife (my great grandma) wanted to move to the suburbs he said no way!

My mom told me a story once when she worked at a company back in the '70s and she had to call a guy in New York. They got to talking about cars or what ever and the guy in New York said to my mom it must be super expensive to drive as he didn't.

When you live in a big city like New York or Chicago, public transpiration is the mainstay and you find your self shoping for groceries once everyday bringing the bags with you on the subway, in a cab, a bus or now in an Uber or Lyft. People do drive, but by in large most city dwellers utilize public transportation. Especially since it'd take you an hour to get from one side of the city to the next! How public safety gets around I'll never know. In New York fashion: "Hey jacko! You see these flashing lights here? It means MOVE!"

Now Los Angeles was mentioned. I used to live in southern California myself and it's called the freeway capital of the word. You would not believe all of the freeways out there. Hell of it is, when there's the usual motor vehicle accident your typical hour long commute turns into three hours! Which means when you plan your commute to work you plan accordingly.

Now LA has public transportation and there's a train, but it's not like New York or even Chicago's L (Elevated train) that goes all the way up to Fox Lake, Illinois.

Anyway, to bind this Convo. to the realm of aviation, bring on the flying cars! LOL I think with the advent of the drone we'll see to it that happens to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    I moved away from London to get away from that problem.
    It was much simpler, driving in Southampton!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwEeO5lFaQw

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass View Post

How is it even possible that there are tribes in the Amazon that have never seen modern man let alone know man stepped foot on the moon they see at night, know about these automobiles, planes, trains and other things like the Internet?
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 12-09-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast