FS9 graphics anomaly

Jack Keenan

After running FS9 (and update and no cd patch) fine for several months on a Dell Inspiron Icore7 with plenty of storage space, suddenly the sky is black with white clouds, and buildings are replaced by black squares? In addition, there seem to be hesitations in flight. I fly mostly large airliners. Hoping that someone may be able to suggest a possible cause and solution. For now I'm "grounded".

I had seen this anomaly before, and concluded that the culprit was too many open background windows running, and closing them seemed to solve the problem, but not this time.

Thanks much for any assistance.

Jack Keenan

You didn't by chance convert your textures to 32 bit or some other format, did you? If I remember correctly they must remain as DXT3 format or anomalies may occur.

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

Not intentionally, I simply installed per instructions. My flying was between late 80's (FS 3.1) and 2005, just returned to it last November. My knowledge of computers is fairly limited, sounds like I should read up on 32 bit vs. 64 bit?

I did notice that actually the "black squares" (markers) represent trees, and also cover nav lights on aircraft when in spot view. Coincident with the appearance of this anomaly was a Windows update performed overnight on Apr. 10. "System restore" to a prior date was unsuccessful.

I think my solution is to uninstall/reinstall FS2004?

Thanks so much for your response.

Jack

Hi Jack Q/ Are all the clouds showing as black squares or just some and others still normal, are trees displaying as the should, have you just installed other software. Its important to find where the problem is. Cloud textures are Extended 32 bit 888-8 format with Alpha and Mip map levels: trees are DXT1 format also with Alpha and Mip map levels. A 64 bit system would not effect clouds in this way but it still could be a windows issue I presume you are now running win 10, check the forums with regard to the latest on this subject.

Howard

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004916148824 (Sorry No Friends please)

Thanks so much Howard. The problem disappeared after de-selecting "Add-on scenery", then re-starting and re-selecting "Add-on scenery", as administrator...not sure how or why that magic happened...;-)

Anyway, yes to Windows 10, and clouds were "normal" (white) against a black sky, and it turned out that trees (not buildings) and aircraft lights were replaced by black squares, those for trees showed a tree in white over black square, they appeared to replace every tree seen. I hadn't installed any new software, but have noticed that several downloaded planes do strange things.

I've now been flying for a couple of days, without issue.

I appreciate your comment Howard, Thanks.

Archived