Fsx to P3DV3 or V4. Can my pc handle it?

chris07

Hi guys, looking for some advice. Im an avid FSX user and have invested a lot of time (and money) on varuous addons over the years. Visually, it looks great but sadly being 32 bit FSX sp2 is now showing its age and im sick of the constant OOMs when i fky over London!

My pc specs are:

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit sp1

Intel i5 6600k overclocked to 4.4ghz

16gb corsair ram

Nvidia GTX970 graphics 4gb

Dedicated 250gb ssd for flight sim

1tb hard drive

Im looking to make the leap to P3D either v3.4, or V4. I fly a lot of heavy stuff such as PMDG, Aerosoft airbus etc and love ORBX, UK2000, Fly Tampa etc as well as Activesky weather. My home airport of Newcastle is not yet V4 compatible, so will my pc run P3DV3 better than FSX? Im not after miracles, just nice smooth fps and the occasional microstutter in complex scenery.

Thanks for your advice :)

As Prepar3dv3 is 32-bit, that rules that one out. It has slightly better memory management, but as v4 is 64-bit that's the one you want.

It will NOT run faster than the FSX you have now, but it WILL allow the available VAS to exceed the 32-bit limit, and make more use of the 16 gb of memory.

P3d (all flavours) is available on a sale-or-return basis so you can buy it to try it, and it doesn't work on your rig you can get your money back.

Do NOT rely on all your FSX addons working in P3Dv4 and ONLY use p3dv4-approved addons in the sim. Many developers have modified their fsx (or 32-bit) offerings for the 64-bit sim, and I'll say this only once as its obvious:

P3D IS NOT FSX.

Some addons you will have to re-purchase (PMDG) Others will have to have updates added, or the product re-downloaded to get to the P3dV4 installers. The Good News is all your ORBX product can be updated for free. The Bad News is that it does not use the approved install method for P3Dv4 so it will interfere with the basic sim installation. Slightly better news is that it is highly automated through FTX Central.

Good luck.

Archived