Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spitfire_MkVc Tropicalised Patrolling Along Algeria's Shores!

Yes. I had one in a dusty tropical country on one Peugeot. The principle was that ahead of the usual air filter, was a oil bathed one, a one where oil -- engine oil, simply -- was found and when the air passed through, any dust, sand particles were trapped. The oil usually was to be changed when the engine oil was (oil change). A other trick for those tropical countries was that car's "silent blocks" (don't know if that terms in English) were reinforced to make suspension tougher

On the other hand, I gathered some data about what I was writing about the French Air Force by 1940 then 1942 (sorry for the length):
    "September 1938, the French Air Force had only 493 fighters, 644 bombers and attack aircraft, and 340 reconnaissance and observation aircraft, i.e. 1 509 aircraft, whose state was good, but the vast majority of which were obsolete. The plans to make up for the delay compared to the rearmament of the third Reich could not succeed, despite the enormous efforts of the French aeronautical industry, production of which only increased in 1939 [and the modern planes of that time were rapidly destroyed on ground, or in fight]"
    "[by late 1942] the French got their first glimpse of Allied airpower. Compared to France’s aging fleet, the Spitfires, P-40s, P-38s, B-17s were awe-inspiring: roaring, swift, and lethal". And also: Some cadets were even trained in the USA selves
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

2. Default

Great capture Gérard!

Oil Bath air cleaners: Having lived in So. Ca. for several years I always used an oil bath air cleaner where you actually poured clean oil into it and the cleaner element stayed wet.

After moving to Ky my girl friend, who was long term borrowing that car at the time, took it in for a gasoline fill-up. (Remember this was early 1970's so they still had some full service gas stations.) The kid who pumped her gas showed her how "dirty and oily" the air filter was and sold her a new paper one.

She was so proud of herself for taking care of my car she bragged about it to me!!

So I went off to the gas station in a serious huff, threatened the owner bodily, etc. End of story, he called the kid back in to work without telling him why. We then discovered the kid had installed my "dirty and oily" oil bath air cleaner in his own car!!

Sometimes I feel the end of "full-service" isn't as bad as it sometimes seems!

Michael

Thanks for the comment! Hope the digressions following my lapse didn't hinder you to like the plane !
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Quote Originally Posted by flightsimg View Post
    Thanks for the comment! Hope the digressions following my lapse didn't hinder you to like the plane !
    I like the plane just fine!! In fact I've been having a good time flying the JustFlight Dunkirk Spitfire myself. And though Jan probably wouldn't notice either way, I'm thrilled that it has landing gear as well!!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    flying the JustFlight Dunkirk Spitfire myself
    Yes, I thought about your new plane when I found that one. A fine one too. I think I saw some kind of it, in a aviation review I had suscribed to when having my site about the French Air Force in May 1940

"Sometimes I feel the end of "full-service" isn't as bad as it sometimes seems!" The guy was just a oil-bathed filter tester

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2