Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire_MkVc Tropicalised Patrolling Along Algeria's Shores!

Default Spitfire_MkVc Tropicalised Patrolling Along Algeria's Shores!

After the Allied landed in North Africa by November 1942, they pushed towards Tunisia. Here is a USAF Spitfire_MkVc Tropicalised patrolling along the northeastern shores of Algeria! One plane published today in the File Library!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spitmkVc.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	202757
    The 'c' in MkVc is for clipped wings, I think. 'Tropicalized' is for engine filter dedidated to tropical conditions. That plane was a update to the Spitfire who had fought in 1940. Some U.S. squadrons flew her
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Very nice Gérard. We do not see a Spitfire with US Army Air Corps markings very often.
    Larry

Nice to see a Spit with a white Star indeed !! I had a "tropicalized" DC-3 once, after I lost a door. Happened just above Adam's house. Coincidence....NOT my fault.
    Last edited by peer01; 04-16-2018 at 06:54 PM.

I had a "tropicalized" DC-3 once, after I lost a door. Happened just above Adam's house. Coincidence....NOT my fault.
    Yeah, visiting the wine-n-cheeze storage for an inspection, Jan, on the way back, got hit by a little turbulence. Reached out to steady himself, and grabbed the door's Jettison handle by mistake. Plane then threw him the other way, thus PULLING the handle hard. Lucky for him, he managed to release the handle just in the nick of time. After all his parachute harness had been loosened to allow more room for cheese.
    The rip-cord handle was also concealed by his Mae West, which he, for some reason won't get aboard a plane without. Even flying over the Sahara Desert.
    With the turbulence, the door didn't actually depart the aircraft for a second, allowing him time to let go the handle. Sadly, all this occurred just a hair before they passed over Adam's, causing the door to depart the aircraft, and fall on a trajectory, which, sadly, intercepted Adam's roof. Would have been a great aim if it had been a bombing run.

Now, aren't you all glad it had a happy ending??

Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    on the way back, got hit by a little turbulence. Reached out to steady himself,...
    Tropicalized just means equipped for the harsh conditions of the Tropics. That still exist for cars for those arid countries, with mostly a oil-bath air filter. That makes that dust and sand particles get trapped before the air reaches the carburetor and cause trouble

Thanks, on the other hand, for the comments. I even think such Spitfires were used after the Allied landing to update French air force pilots who found themselves in North Africa, with modern planes (landing gear, flaps, etc.)
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

"I even think such Spitfires were used after the Allied landing to update French air force pilots who found themselves in North Africa, with modern planes (landing gear, flaps, etc.) " Do I understand that French planes weren't equipped with landing gears and flaps?

Quote Originally Posted by peer01 View Post
    "Do I understand that French planes weren't equipped with landing gears and flaps?
    As I deviced once a website about the French Air Force by May 1940, when Germany attacked West, you may understand like that.
    Most of the French planes of the time were outpaced, generally, except the famed Dewoitine 520 or the Curtiss which France bought from the USA.

The remaining of the most recent warplanes programs had been foiled by the 'Front populaire' strikes. That's why authors about the period are underscoring that, despite that, French pilots, scored well against the Luftwaffe. They also often question, on the other hand, whether the RAF did not spare its best planes which equiped the British Expeditionary Force, on the continent, like the Spitfire, for the expected Battle of England

And that's why, when Allies landed in North Africa by November 1942, they upgraded French pilots who were serving there, to latest airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by flightsimg View Post
    As I deviced once a website about the French Air Force by May 1940, when Germany attacked West, you may understand like that.
    Most of the French planes of the time were outpaced, generally, except the famed Dewoitine 520 or the Curtiss which France bought from the USA.

The remaining of the most recent warplanes programs had been foiled by the 'Front populaire' strikes. That's why authors about the period are underscoring that, despite that, French pilots, scored well against the Luftwaffe. They also often question, on the other hand, whether the RAF did not spare its best planes which equiped the British Expeditionary Force, on the continent, like the Spitfire, for the expected Battle of England

And that's why, when Allies landed in North Africa by November 1942, they upgraded French pilots who were serving there, to latest airplanes
    Yep!! I can assure you I'd rather fly a plane with landing gear installed! Unless of course I was a graduate of the PeerHoven Flight School where the emphasis is obviously on water landings only!!

That upgrade to install landing gear must have been a real favorite among those French who weren't that fond of swimming after every flight!!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Yep!! I can assure you I'd rather fly a plane with landing gear installed! Unless of course I was a graduate of the PeerHoven Flight School where the emphasis is obviously on water landings only!!

That upgrade to install landing gear must have been a real favorite among those French who weren't that fond of swimming after every flight!!

Michael
    Hey, I got it! Retractable landing gear I meant!

Tropicalized just means equipped for the harsh conditions of the Tropics. That still exist for cars for those arid countries, with mostly a oil-bath air filter. That makes that dust and sand particles get trapped before the air reaches the carburetor and cause trouble
    I did that for my 1987 4Runner when I lived in Yuma! A very dusty, sandy, hot, and miserable place.
    I bought the truck in '89, had it ever since.

Replaced the factory type air filter with a K&N filter. While not "oil bathed", I think, it IS oil "soaked". IE: There isn't liquid oil circulating through it, but during the initial install, and after cleaning the filter, you spray it with oil, thus "soaked". Works extremely well. Cleans the air wonderfully, not even allowing the very fine dust particles Yuma is so famous for to enter the engine. Breathes better than the factory type air filter, too. Fuel injected, so no carb, but still needs clean air to breathe.

In Yuma, it needed cleaning about once every 2 months of driving, but regular air filters need replacing after that period anyway. Saves a ton of money in replacement filters.I told you Yuma doth sucketh...

Still cleans for a treat, even though I live in Oregon, now. Only needs cleaning once a year up here.
    Love that little truck...

Sorry. Back to airplanes, and His Highness' adventures!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast