FSX fatal error Win10 - not able to fix

dacair

Hello,

I got fatal error on FSX SP2 on Win10 and not able to fix.

Few days ago, I moved folders Documents,Pictures,... folders from drive C to D but now even I try move it back still not working.

May this be the issue?

Event view log:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0009b71e

Faulting process id: 0x26ec

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d49d37bc0a31

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: ad05f897-460a-4f21-a4b3-60a7656df376

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I use Tileproxy and many settings, usually takes days to set everything after a reinstall. I would like to fix it instead.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I could speculate that your registry acquired a problem when you moved those folders. Flight1 has a free registry fixer that MIGHT fix the issue, but I don't have a link for it. Search the Flight1 website for "registry fixer" and you should find it. No guarantees it will fix the issue, but worth a shot.

And if it only takes you days to reinstall then you're lucky. I had a hard drive issue (caused by myself) and reinstallation of everything took nearly 2 years! But my installation is huge.

Jorgen

I tend to agree with Jorgan, it may well now be, that FSX can't find the associated folders/files as installed, and the registry now points to a non existent location. The "Documents" folder contains a folder called "Flight Simulator X Files" containing not only saved flights but your logbook.BIN file and any FSX setup configuration file you may have saved, also the "Pictures" folder (the default save location for any "V" key snapshots taken while simming, may also nolonger be reflected in your registry.

If you have not placed the folders you previously moved, back exactly to the default locations, your sim will not start or exit prematurely with an error, particularly with regard to logbook.BIN

The OS registry should not have changed all by itself to reflect your new folder relocations, but would require the (F1 Registry fix tool) or by moving all folders back to their original locations, where the current registry records remain unchanged.

Its hard to say wether an FSX repair or a registry repair would resolve your situation, best to try firstly returning ALL folders to their original locations including Documents\Flight Simulator X Files & Pictures folders.

If the sim then starts and runs as before the move (no harm done), If you wish to move FSX for reasons of drive space) then you should only move the Main sim "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" folder to D:\FSX\ (a folder you create, one directory in from the root Drive directory) (example: D:\FSX\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\) and use the Flight1 Registry Fix tool to reflect the new Drive and folder location of your sim.

Core FSX folders should remain on your C: drive as they were installed.

The Main FSX root folder "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" can be moved to the new drive & folder location, (you must point the registry to reflect this new location for FSX).

Core folders in locations such as below should remain in their installed default locations:

1. C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files (flights logbook & FSXsetup config saves)

2. C:\Users\yourusername\Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files (V key snapshots)

3. C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (FSX core configs and folders)

4. C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX (Shaders & Shaders10)

5. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (Scenery library Indexes .dat & active Scenery.cfg)

Perhaps you can tell us exactly which folders you moved, for not only the FSX sim but also for the above 5 mentioned folders.

Cheers Jethro

@Jethrom, I the only folders I moved are:

C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\ including all folders and Flight Simulator X Files as well

C:\Users\yourusername\Downloads\

C:\Users\yourusername\Pictures\

C:\Users\yourusername\Music\

C:\Users\yourusername\Videos\

Regards,

Cristi

Hello Cristi,

Thanks for the extra info on your folder/s moved.

Have you now returned them to default locations, as installed.

The use of Tile Proxy makes trouble shooting FSX a little/lot more difficult for me, as I do not use TP.

Not saying I wouldn't like to try it someday, HD PR scenery tiles look nice, but unfortunately PR tiles would override my Orbx products, it also means I have little to no understanding of its folder structure or config requirements.

Are you saying FSX now runs without error when TP is not active.

Reason I ask is in Reference to Tile Proxy, although I have never used TP (I have not got the Internet speed bandwidth or capacity to use it).

I have tried to get some idea on what to expect as far as setup and special configuration changes TP utilises in FSX (by reading the info from the link below), the info may provide an answer to what is at the heart of why your FSX now runs without Tile Proxy and crashes when Tile Proxy is used.

Here is the link to my TP search: http://edtruthan.com/tileproxy/tutorial/

Perhaps you could have a read through the TP Tutorial and the links within the document, it may point to a possible issue caused by moving those Default folders, perhaps also because I don't know specifically what or where TP loads or saves its content (Online Map Sources) from the internet onto your PC the document may indicate a setup issue in your FSX installation.

A TP folder or config file may have been altered or damaged, perhaps the ProxyUser.ini has become corrupt (wherever that is saved or applied).

The TP forum might also be a good source for info about TP crashing FSX when loaded (active).

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/284-the-tileproxy-project-forum/

I'm sorry I am unable to add anything more, Tile Proxy will take me some time to gain an understanding, it might even require me to install set it up and try it in order to understand any of the potential errors caused by moving folders and installing to non default locations. I can't see myself upsetting my current sim setup just to test the process.

Perhaps A TP expert can lend a hand and offer some insights.

Cheers Jethro

Archived