dit dit da da dit dit da?

Luckypup

Hi - I'm a Constellation fan and have several versions of all the models of the Connie, from L049 to L1649. I fly the FSDZigns L049a most of time. The other version of the L049 (and I can find no credits for it) flies as well as the FSDZigns Connie but does not have ILS. It does have a transponder that won't shut up. I've tried everything I can think of but it won't turn off. dit dit da da dit dit.......

This is driving me nuts. Please if anybody knows how to turn off the transponder please let me in on the secret.

Steve

First off, it is not the transponder making the noise, the transponder makes no noise.

This is an easy fix, find your default flight file, it has an .flt extension and will be in your Documents folder.

Open it with Notepad and find the [Avionics.0] section, it should look something like...

[Avionics.0]
Comm1Active=122.950
Comm1Standby=118.000
Comm2Active=119.900
Comm2Standby=121.700
Nav1Active=110.30
Nav1Standby=110.60
OBS1=340
Nav2Active=116.80
Nav2Standby=109.60
OBS2=315
Transponder=1200
ADFActive=353
ADF2Active=281
ComTransmit=1
ComReceiveBoth=False
AudioNav1Listen=False
AudioNav2Listen=False
AudioMarkerListen=False
AudioDmeListen=False
AudioAdfListen=False
AudioAdf2Listen=False

Make sure that those last six lines are all set to false and save the file.

If you have a bunch of regularly used 'saved flights', you might need to change them all.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Look at your radios panel, each control box (NAV1, NAV2, ADF etc) should have a switch or knob that likely says "IDENT". That is what allows the crew to positively ensure they are receiving the station they have tuned in - once done, they turn it off.

More modern airplanes likely have an audio control panel, where all these IDENT selections are grouped on a separate panel rather than the individual control boxes. Likely your Connie has the individual switches on each separate control box, or "head".

If no success, it may be the DME, which does not normally have a separate ident from the VOR/ILS it is coupled with.

Try CONT+4, which I believe is the default DME audio control.

I have to fire up the Sim to see it, but there should be a key command to turn off the beacon marker audio and the Nav audio. If you have a switch, maybe invisible, inside the aircraft then you can turn it off from there.

Or simply change the Nav 1 and Nav 2 radio frequencies. Unless of course you fly using VORs, NDBs and the ILS.

And you should know that dit da dit da is Morse code, right? It's the identifier for the VOR, NDB or ILS depending on what your radios your tuned to. The transponder makes no noise as already said. It's just a pulse coded modulated frequency that tells ATC and other aircraft where your at, your speed and height. Typically, the frequency is 1090 MHz. There's another in the 900 MHz band.

I have a SDR (Software Defined Radio) USB stick that I can plug into my smartphone and with an App I can see aircraft around me. The SDR is a tunable radio and the App centers the radio on 1090 MHz. You can buy a SDR like SDR# and contribute to this website. Great thing about the website is everything is unfiltered. I've seen FBI aircraft circle around Tampa Bay and I've see Air Force One. http://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

HAHA Looking at it now I see Daryl Earnhardt's plane, a Walmart Exec jet, and a Nike Exec jet. Must be nice...

Bean - Sorry but I can't find the files you mentioned.

Steve

Depending on which version of Windows you have, you will have a folder named Flight Simulator Files in either your Documents, or My Documents folder.

This is where your saved flights are stored.

If you saved a flight and designated it as your default flight, the .flt file will be here. That is the file you want to edit.

As for the other suggestions to turn off the ID on the radios and/or audio panel, all good ideas, I have seen situations where the saved flight was set to hear the ID for a radio that did not exist in a particular plane, so there was no radio to turn off.

Also, my proposed fix is persistent where turning off the ID in the plane (even with keyboard commands) would have to be done every time a new flight was loaded.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting....the problem seems to have solved itself. Of course I was puling switches and fooling around and that might have done it. In any case, thanks all for the help.

Or you have flown out of range of the broadcasting station..........the broadcast range of the such aids is small

Regards

Brian

Archived