Flying the Jetranger is easier in FSX than 2004

N33029

Gang,

After watching the helicopter scenes in "Apocalypse Now" and another excellent video on YouTube, I decided to try out the Bell 206 Jetranger one more time. I usually had problems with it in FS 2004 because it would pitch forward before I could lift off, and it would crash or, with the crash settings off, it would bounce around a lot. In FS X, this is not a problem for me. My landings look O.K. to me but the Flight Analysis shows they are hard landings all, above 400 fpm. But I feel confident that I can get gentle and land closer to exactly where I want to.

"Magic Carpet Ride"

Now to figure out how to install the forum's UH-1 into Steam - I saw the instructions before.

Best,

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Ok, just which Huey were you discussing?

Install into Steam is no different than into FSX Boxed. If it's got an autoinstaller, you point it at the main FSX folder. If it's a manual install, unzip the downloaded zip file into an empty Temp folder someplace, and copy it over to FSX:SE. Quick, simple, easy, painless.

Now that we have that all out of the way, I very strongly suggest Helicopter Total Realism v 6.2. It works great in FSX:SE. I use it every time I fly a helicopter. It makes helicopters in MSFS fly, and respond to control inputs, in a manner very much similar to real ones. Not the way they are normally made to fly in the sim. You can find it over on the Hovercontrol forums, or just google Fred Naar HTR v6.2 . It is very near the top of the returns. You can find a .cfg file for your particular bird in the forum, or in HC's file download menu.

Or make your own. It's an eye-opening experience. The documentation included in the HTR download tells you exactly which line in a .cfg file does what, and how to change it to alter your helicopter's behaviour to what you feel it should be. You can take and make a copy of the default Bell 206 .cfg file and modify it for your chosen bird.

Another excellent read for helicopter flyers in MSFS are these articles: HERE and HERE.

Jordan Moore is a very famous developer in sim helicopter circles. Brilliant man, knows FS helicopters inside and out. I strongly suggest reading his articles.

The Hovercontrol forums are another very good source of information.

HC also has some excellent downloads available, scenery, paints for helicopters, panels, different types of helo's from a variety of devs, etc etc.

The whole point here is that MSFS, whatever flavor you prefer, whether Steam, Boxed, FS9, whatever, doesn't make helicopters fly very realistically. Easy, maybe, but choppers aren't easy to fly. All of the foregoing is in an effort to make them act, and react to your inputs, more realistically. Most real world helicopter flyers don't like flying them in the sim because there isn't any "feel", or seat-of-the-pants, input for the pilot. But there isn't in fixed wing planes either, so what the heck.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived