How to 'Unbloat' a huge 34GB Flight Sim 9? It's getting way too big!!!

JonBuck

After years of use my FS9 has grown huge...now over 34GB...with lots of acft, added scenery and add-ons like Instant Scenery and such. I do a lot of scenery work on my airports and airfields which takes the sim take a long time to load. So large a file that I even lose parts of it when I try to copy FS9 into DROPBOX. I have to use external disk drives for the backup and it takes so long I just walk away for a couple of hours. To use old Flt Sim friend OPA's term, it's just plain bloated!

Is it possible to create multiple copies out of this huge mess, such as one for Europe, one for U.S. East, another for U.S. West, and perhaps the Pacific and take, say the U.S. West FS9 and delete acft and airports in the East, Europe and Pacific areas...then turn around and do the same for the other 3 areas? Each one would be smaller and consequently load and probably run faster (at least that's the idea). Can that be done? If so, how? I have been able to do it with MS Train Simulator, but Flt Sim seems more complex.

In reading posts in this forum I understand there can only be one 'saved flights'. But how would you handle add-ons like Instant Scenery, and utilities like AFCADs and such? Will they work in the copies or require me to install them in each individual sim copy? For instance, would I have to buy additional copies of "Instant Scenery" and install them in each separate 'mini' FS9 version? I kinda suspect the answer will be yes.

I also understand that I can create multiple installs using the FS9 disks: one for Europe, one for U.S. West, etc....and that would be akin to starting all over again from scratch with 'mini' Flt Sims.

I know I'm not the first guy to run into this problem and I certainly won't be the last. It's getting a bit out of hand and I sure would appreciate some ideas and advice from the community. How have you handled this situation??

JonB :confused:

My FS2004 weighed in at about 55GB. Now it's backed up to two external HDDs. Right now I fly FSX, but I invested a lot in FS2004.

The reason why the Sim loads so slow on start up is primarily due to aircraft. If you don't use a great majority of them, minus AI, uninstall them or cut and paste the planes to a different spot on a HDD until you want one. Another factor is your CPU speed. When I ran a Q6600 my Sim would take at least 3 minutes to load. Now with my i5 6600k the Sim loads in about 1.5 minutes. That's with well over 1,000 different AI planes and flyable A/C.

Another thing that you can do is install scenery to a second hard drive. Usually with the install of scenery you get an option as to where you want to install it. When I used FS2004 and had Bluesky Scenery I installed it to D drive. Sometimes however you may need to mod the scenery.cfg file to point to the correct path.

I plan on buying Mega Scenery Earth and will install it to my internal mechanical. No way do I want to fill the precious space of my 256GB SSD and do all those writes as SSDs don't like so many writes to disk. Albeit, that could have been an issue with early SSDs. Perhaps the wear leveling has improved now. I don't know.

I bought a bigger hard drive, and then a second one to hold a disk image of the first. My FS2004 folder is currently 154GB - that may be obese to some, but to me it's just more to love...

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I have 4 versions, maxing out at 70+GB for my largest.

It's very easy to have multiple versions. I have a basic default version on my portable drive that I copy and paste if I want another version, remembering to rename both the main folder and the FS9.exe to something like FS9.1.exe

I have a normal version, very large, a Golden Wings version, a Ford Tri-Motor version and another Flight Sim SE super edition that all of us use at our VA club meetings, so we all have the same scenery and planes. That version is about 14GB

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived