Motor noise ?

GBJim

Sometimes ...... When I switch from inside the cabin to an outside view, the sound of the motor doesn't follow the throttle setting. For example; when I reduce the throttle while flying from inside the cockpit, the sound of the motor idles down beautifully, but then, if I go to an outside view, the motor is screaming away wide open. Any ideas on what might be happening, and how to fix it ?

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Hi Jim,

Yes, this is an age old quirk within FSX, there is only a work around however, but no definitive fix.

The sound discrepancy issue not normally noticed in the air, but can sometimes be noticed after landing where the user switches from VC to outside view. The engine sounds, may! depending on who knows what! be at full throttle sound, and yet the aircraft is stationary and throttles at idle or just open with the aircraft slowly taxiing.

The quick and dirty way to reset the FSX sound is to toggle your keyboard "q" key, to briefly turn the sound off and then on again, the engine sounds will then match your throttle position. This can be done at any time in the air, on the ground, or upside down. Wherever & whenever the sound does not seem to match your TP.

Cheers Jethro

Hi Jim,

Yes, this is an age old quirk within FSX, there is only a work around however, but no definitive fix.

The sound discrepancy issue not normally noticed in the air, but can sometimes be noticed after landing where the user switches from VC to outside view. The engine sounds, may! depending on who knows what! be at full throttle sound, and yet the aircraft is stationary and throttles at idle or just open with the aircraft slowly taxiing.

The quick and dirty way to reset the FSX sound is to toggle your keyboard "q" key, to briefly turn the sound off and then on again, the engine sounds will then match your throttle position. This can be done at any time in the air, on the ground, or upside down. Wherever & whenever the sound does not seem to match your TP.

Cheers Jethro

" can sometimes be noticed after landing where the user switches from VC to outside view. " -

Yes Jethro, this is exactly what is happening. I'm sorry to hear that there is no real fix, but relieved to hear that it's a known FSX quirk, and does happen to others. I will try toggling the "q" key and see what happens. I can probably live with this.

Thanks for your help. - Jim

If the 'q' key doesn't do the job, going to full throttle for a couple of seconds will bring it back to normal until the next time you switch views.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I have now tried both the Q key and going briefly to full throttle, and both work very well, and bring the engine sound back to normal. Thank you gentlemen for your great help. It's just too bad that it's a Microsoft quirk that has never been fixed. :rolleyes:

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
This issue has been a thorn in my side for so long. So glad to finally see this thread. Here I thought it was something goofy with my computer. The thing is, it now happens to planes that didn't do it originally. Originally it was only a couple planes that did that when switching views. Now, it's half my planes. But, it's only the prop planes. And it doesn't matter if their payware or freeware.

This issue has been a thorn in my side for so long. So glad to finally see this thread. Here I thought it was something goofy with my computer. The thing is, it now happens to planes that didn't do it originally. Originally it was only a couple planes that did that when switching views. Now, it's half my planes. But, it's only the prop planes. And it doesn't matter if their payware or freeware.

Time to upgrade your PC. The problem is exacerbated by trying to get Ferrari performance from Fiat 500 hardware.

Submit specs for your hardware and your FSX .cfg content. We'll soon be able to detect the weakest link!

Before blaming any hardware I would take a look at the Sound folder of the A/C in question. If misdirected, all MSFS (since MSFS2002 that I know) try to correct the problem with something else. The moment you would start flipping views you would notice/hear something wrong with the sounds.

Use Aliases to known good Sound folders to test/check.

Cheers,

Archived