Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Steam Downloads ?

1. Default

Adding Steam to an already working Sim is just going to complicate the whole mess. Why would anyone do that for a small apparent improvement?

Be different if you were buying a FPS or you never had FSX boxed from the begin with. But I digress, I like my optical media. The hell I'm letting crap interact on my PC. Bad enough I can't stand Origin and BF3 suxx so I promptly uninstalled it. Long live BF2 with the AIX mod!
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    Adding Steam to an already working Sim is just going to complicate the whole mess. Why would anyone do that for a small apparent improvement?
    I guess that depends on your definition of small.

For the OP, one benefit is he gets the Acceleration pac for $7.50, lots of people paid $30 for it.

Should he ever need/chose to reinstall, Steam eliminates the Microsoft activation which has been known to cause grief to some, though I have never had a problem with it.

Also, any addons purchased through Steam are a one click installation, which could greatly simplify a re-install.

As the HighMemFix and UIAutomationCore.dll fix are included in the Steam version you do not have to remember to execute them during a re-install, if you are even aware of them to begin with.

And the performance enhancements are real, if small.

I would say that all of that for less than lunch at McDonalds would be worth at least looking at.

peace,
    the Bean

[added]Also, you do not "add" Steam to your current installation, they are 2 separate installations that have no affect on each other.[/added]
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Be different if you were buying a FPS or you never had FSX boxed from the begin with. But I digress, I like my optical media. The hell I'm letting crap interact on my PC. Bad enough I can't stand Origin and BF3 suxx so I promptly uninstalled it. Long live BF2 with the AIX mod!
    Optical media like FSX that still depend on Microsoft's product activation servers?

And comparing Valve and Steam to EA and their Origin software is a poor comparison. EA has a very spotty record when it comes to both DRM and treatment of legitimate users. With Steam, Valve came up with a decent compromise between user experience while still providing a reasonable amount of protection for their, and other's, games.

Also, remember that FSX-SE is a 32bit program that runs in a 64bit operating system.
    As development has been frozen, there will not be any further updates or upgrades to FSX-SE.
    No matter how much total memory is in your PC, a 32bit program will any address a total of 4GB RAM. This includes the RAM of the PC plus the graphics card RAM. A 64bit program, such as below, running in a 64bit environment, does not have this restriction, & will use whatever RAM is available.

Fllight Sim World, from Steam as well,(not forgetting P3D), IS a 64bit program that is being upgraded and developed as we speak.

Having said that, there are thousand of add-ons out there for FSX/FSX-SE, will many still being released.

Kind Regards,
    Robin

So you're basing this on your personal experience with Steam and FSX:SE? If so, my experience (and that of many others worldwide) is just the opposite. What problems have you had with Steam? What makes it a "whole mess"?

As StringBean said, you don't add Steam to FSX. Steam allows you to buy, install, update and run your games (including FSX:SE) as easily as possible. After FSX:SE is installed you don't even need to be online - you can run it in offline mode. Once FSX:SE is running, Steam itself has no effect on performance and is completely transparent to the user. In flight, apart from slightly better performance there's no way of telling whether you're running FSX:SE or FSX boxed Gold Edition.
    Last edited by lesh; 03-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Robin wrote: "No matter how much total memory is in your PC, a 32bit program will any address a total of 4GB RAM. This includes the RAM of the PC plus the graphics card RAM."

The second sentence is not correct. A 32-bit program will address a maximum of 4 GB of VAS (Virtual Address Space) in RAM - the graphics card VRAM is not included in the VAS.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    Robin wrote: "No matter how much total memory is in your PC, a 32bit program will any address a total of 4GB RAM. This includes the RAM of the PC plus the graphics card RAM."

The second sentence is not correct. A 32-bit program will address a maximum of 4 GB of VAS (Virtual Address Space) in RAM - the graphics card VRAM is not included in the VAS.

Jorgen
    Correct if you're talking about a 64 bit OS. If you run an app in a 32 bit OS it gets 4GB VAS - normally 2GB is for the system/kernel and 2GB minus the VRAM is for the app. If the app is Large Address Aware then up to 3GB of VAS can be allocated to it. However, in a 64 bit OS a 32 bit app can use the whole of the 4GB VAS. VRAM does still apparently use a tiny amount of VAS but it's insignificant compared to what can happen in a 32 bit OS

Blog Entries

Not at all sure why you are so down on Steam. Personal preference, I guess. I have both the boxed version of FSX and Steam installed, and prefer the steam version. It provides better performance for me than the boxed version.
    Absolutely no problems with Steam.

Darrell

Steam brings FSX via another layer of delivery and sophistication.

Given that some simmers shouldn't be in charge of boiling water, much less a sophisticated gaming product, for some that may be a very good thing, while for everyone else it's not a bad thing.

Besides it's the only platform flogging the game for a fiver in one of its regular fire sales.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    As the HighMemFix and UIAutomationCore.dll fix are included in the Steam version you do not have to remember to execute them during a re-install, if you are even aware of them to begin with.
    What is HighMemFix? I already have the UIAutomationCore.dll and found out I needed that right away after right clicking in the Sim several times and a crash.

Edit-

Found it at this over written article. https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4737/
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 03-26-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3