FSX 747 Reverse Thrust

lpklem

FSX question, I was able to assign a button for 747 thrust reversers (all 4 engines) but I have not found a was to increase reverse thrust on all 4 engines at once, how can I tie the throttles together so upon landing I can get more than 10% reverse thrust?

Actually, Zip, I think you can.

Don't bother with a button. When you land, hit F1 as normal, to cut to idle, then start hitting F2. That will activate the reversers, and increase reverse thrust to it's max. You will need to hit F2 several times, but eventually, the reverse thrust will be as high as it goes. It does NOT go as high as normal thrust, however. To return to idle from reverse, hit F1 again.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

FSX question, I was able to assign a button for 747 thrust reversers (all 4 engines) but I have not found a was to increase reverse thrust on all 4 engines at once, how can I tie the throttles together so upon landing I can get more than 10% reverse thrust?

Fundamental error, about 10% effective reverse thrust is all these big engines deliver.

As long as you use F1, followed by press and hold F2, you've got all there is.

Use your menu to go to the OPTIONS/SETTINGS/CONTROLS/ "BUTTONS/KEYS" tab.

Scroll down to find "Throttle (decrease quickly)" and assign a joystick button to it.

THEN -- make the slider bar for that button go to the far right; this allows constant repeat of the command as you hold the button down, and will go to full reverse thrust capability (as set by the air file ) as rapidly as possible. I have used this for years and it works great (jets only).

As said by others, the throttles have to be at idle first - (single joystick slider should use all levers simultaneously anyway). Full reverse is not full forward thrust capability in real life or in FS

I'm surprised by the numbers you give. 10%? 25%?

If I press and hold F2 in the default 747, with reversers deployed the N1 goes up to 63.2 %

(click image for larger view)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202215[/ATTACH]

N1 is the speed of the low pressure compressor and has little to do with thrust except in the most general of sense. The real 747 manages about 74% N1 at a maximum but that is NOT - repeat NOT - the amount of reverse thrust. I do not intend to explain why, you can look it up if you want. This is purely to prevent the spread of misinformation.

`Normal` reverse thrust is idle reverse, used for a mximum of 20 seconds. Again I don't intend to tell you why, but a good engineering will explain

Well, that may be, but N1 is the only thrust readout you've got to go on in fs.

It is a percentage. And equates I think also nicely to a percentage of full thrust.

And he (OP) needs to see if his reverse is fully engaged.

Apart from that N1 indication I see no other thing he has to go on.

(or is there perhaps a "actual thrust"-indicator.)?

It may be less in real life, I don't know so won't dispute that.

I get the feeling his plane is not taxiing backwards. And it should be able to do that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, that may be, but N1 is the only thrust readout you've got to go on in fs.

It is a percentage. And equates I think also nicely to a percentage of full thrust.

And he (OP) needs to see if his reverse is fully engaged.

Apart from that N1 indication I see no other thing he has to go on.

(or is there perhaps a "actual thrust"-indicator.)?

It may be less in real life, I don't know so won't dispute that.

I get the feeling his plane is not taxiing backwards. And it should be able to do that.

Now you're confusing real life with sim. In the sim you define the amount of reverse thrust through the aircraft.cfg and the .air file.

A fully loaded 747 doesnt taxi backwards using reverse thrust - it would be dangerous. They're pushed back because it's more efficient, better for the envrionment and safer. And I don't see that as as the problem as that is simply not mentioned as the problem by the OP.

More likely is he simply didn't know about the F1, F2 combination.

Archived