Computer nerd needed

Lord_Nibbo

Opening a CFG file I've always right clicked on the cfg then selected "Open With" then selected "Notepad" If I do that now when I right click on "Open With" I get this pop up saying...

Opening notepad.jpg

Ok I can also double click on the cfg and it opens it using Notepad or I can open it by clicking on edit but what has caused this to change and give me this popup warning?

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

what has caused this to change and give me this popup warning?

Probably pointless to speculate but it's a Windows issue, nothing to do with P3D. Most likely you installed something that changed some defaults - unscrupulous developers will often do this without asking. The message tells you how to fix it - just go to Control Panel/Default Programs and reset the default program for files with '.cfg' extensions to Notepad.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Why this has been moved to P3D is beyond me. It happens with all files, the one in the screen shot was just to show what happens. It also happens when I try to open any in FSX. That is the reason I asked for a computer nerd.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Probably pointless to speculate but it's a Windows issue, nothing to do with P3D. Most likely you installed something that changed some defaults - unscrupulous developers will often do this without asking. The message tells you how to fix it - just go to Control Panel/Default Programs and reset the default program for files with '.cfg' extensions to Notepad.

I've tried to do that Mark, but it's not a program as such so I can't associate it.

I've tried to do that Mark, but it's not a program as such so I can't associate it.

I don't understand what you mean. You need to associate the file extension (.cfg) with a default program (it sounds like you want it to be Notepad). What is stopping you from doing this?

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

It was probably moved here, as I suggested, because Simobjects.cfg is a file unique to P3D.

Jorgen

That's ok, but the problem isn't just that cfg but any files on my system be it a cfg or even a dds and that includes all those in FSX and P3Dv4 again I'll say what the problem is.... If I right click on a file and then click on "open with" I get that popup .... I do not get the choice of what to open it with.

I don't understand what you mean. You need to associate the file extension (.cfg) with a default program (it sounds like you want it to be Notepad). What is stopping you from doing this?

OK in the "Default Programs" "Set Associations" I probably got dozens of file types associated with Notepad and the .cfg file types are listed as being associated with Notepad. If I left click on any .cfg or even left click on edit the cfg will open using Notepad.

So why am I getting this pop up warning if I right click and then select "open with"? Can someone try this and see if they get the same popup?

On another note:

Do not edit P3D V4 .cfg files with Windows Notepad. Starting with 4.0 the cfg files are encoded UTF-16 / UCS2 LE and not ASCII like they used to be. Windows Notepad is incapable of handling this text encoding, so you are running the risk of breaking the file.

Use Notepad++ instead, it is freeware.

Oliver Binder

LORBY-SI

Not true. Windows 10 notepad does the job just fine.

Jorgen

Not ENTIRELY true. If notepad is set to save files in ANSI format it will cause P3D to crash and necessitate a repair install. If you know how to change the encoding you are fine.

Part of the problem is that some of the cfg files are saved in the new format and others are "regular" txt files.

Notepad++ is recommended because it will adjust accordingly where w10 notepad will not.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Unfortunately I have seen quite a few have issues with that same notepad. As I said, not all of the cfg files will react that way. Easiest way to check is back up the cfg file before edit (should be done anyway). If new one works, you're good to go.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Fine. If it works for you, keep using it but please do not tell others they are wrong when they say to use something else. It does NOT work for many people.

The MAIN point is - be SURE the program you are using supports and saves in the proper format or you WILL have issues. If it does save in the proper format, you are good to go.

So far, Windows 10 Notepad does NOT save it in the proper format for everyone so be cautious or just use Notepad++ and be done with it.

Enough said.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived