Thinking of changing to fsx with a new computer on the way

BONDENO

With getting a new computer on windows 10 home 64 bit

Processor (CPU)

Intel Core i5 7500 (3.4/3.8ghz Quad Core) 6mb Cache -

Motherboard

ASUS H110M-A/M.2 - H110, USB 3.0, SATA3 (M-ATX)

Memory (RAM)

8GB Kingston DDR4 2133MHz (1x8GB

Graphics

2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 - DVI, HDMI, DP, 3D -

i have added myself to fs9 alot of ai aircraft and spent lots of work on it, i dont use many aircraft that i actually fly.

if i start a fresh with fsx will take me ages as i try to add all the company ai i can, advice guys please ?

I have FS9 and FSX Accel installed on drive D and have no problems. In fact I have 'Old FSX' still there with some airplanes I wanted to keep. And I have FS9 Golden Wings install too. 4 sims on 1 HDrive.

Your PC is OK. Your OS (Win 10 64 bit) is OK. So what storage device (HD or SSD) are you going to use? And where are you going to install FSX? C drive or D drive? Of course you DON'T install to C\Program Files .. or D\Program Files.. as Windows permissions will prevent you from making ANY changes to files installed there. You CAN install to C\FSX or D\FSX. It's ok. No fancy folder structure is required. 'C' , 'FSX' . Or, 'D' , 'FSX'. Done! Optimize your BIOS with up to date chip set driver. Optimize your video card with latest (working) driver. Do the fsx.cfg tweaks. Get rid of 'bloatware' and reduce processes and progs running in background. Calibrate your joystick. Go fly.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

its a 1TB/8GB SSHD Hybrid Drive

Thanks for the advice and your time, dont know much about the bios bit , dont know what bloatwre is either if am honest.

I will be running with lots of ai traffic if i get this after me putting them on again and would like to run a third party weather system was still worried about frame rates with them running

When you buy a rig the bios will have 'older' drivers (used when the mb was manufactured) than the 'updated' (recent) drivers for your mother board that are available at MB's manufterer's web site. You are buying the MB 'today' but it's a year old (and so are the 'chip set drivers' (google this).

Bloatware are programs, and 'apps' that are put there by manufacturer. YOU don't need all of that and won't use 5% of them. But they take up space and are set up to run (even if you don't want them to run) when you turn on your PC and they WILL be using your resources (HD space, CPU, and memory) and that will effect your frame rates when running sim. You can remove the programs, and apps, you don't need by 'uninstalling'. I use 'IOBIT UNINSTALLER'. Free and it works good as it also removes the 'registry entries' (google this too).

So...you can't eat your cake and have it too. You have to get rid of anything NOT NEEDED running in background (ie: bloatware) if you plan to 'push' your CPU (and still get good FPS) when you do add AI and Weather. You can try running sim with 'unlimited' frame rate but best advice is to LOCK frame rate at 30 fps. You will learn all of this in time. One step at a time. So be cool and read up. Only way to learn is by experience. And....(some) trial & error and sometimes Windows will throw you a curve and renders your sim performance down to 15 fps (or worse). We have all been there..done that. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Some advice specific to adding your AI......

You can use most FS9 AI stuff in FSX without any issues. I have a lot of FS9 stuff, mainly MAIW, running in my FSX setup. Some though, will have issues and will be either unusable or have missing parts, such as undercarriage. Only testing in FSX will highlight this. However, you will likely be able to find a suitable FSX replacement model.

The only thing that needs to be done, in most cases, is to convert the FS9 traffic files so that they run in FSX - it is worth noting that a single FS9 traffic file will disable all other FSX traffic files, including the default one. I suggest using a program called AIFP if you don't already use it - see HERE for info, the download link is at the bottom of the page. Unlike TTools, which is for FS9 only, AIFP is for both FS9 and FSX and will allow you to do batches of files to quicken the process of converting them.

As for installing, it is simply a case of copying your current AI model folders into FSX. This can be directly into the Simobjects\airplanes folder OR in a dedicated AI folder under Simobjects or indeed within the FSX root folder is you so wish. If you use any folder other than the default folders provided under the main Simbojects folder you will need to make an entry in the [Main] section of the FSX.cfg file that points to the location, similar to this example:

[Main]

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\AIWOAI

SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\AIFastJets

SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\AIHeavies

SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\AIHelicopters

SimObjectPaths.10=SimObjects\AITrainers

SimObjectPaths.11=D:\MySimObjects\HJG

In this example, the SimObjectPaths.0 to .5 entries are the FSX default folders, 6 to 10 are entries I have added to reflect the location of the folders created by me to store AI models. The entry for 11 is an example of the required path if you choose to store the items outside of the FSX folder.

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to be aware of, and I hope this doesn't happen to you, but my experience with buying a new computer turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. About five years ago, I bought a new Gateway i5-2320. I optioned a dedicated video card. The first thing I noticed when I ran FS9 was that it mangled my logbook, due to it making entries in dd/mm/yyy format instead of the former m/d/yyyy format. Also, when I tried to access the kneeboard in full screen mode, the kneeboard came up behind the main window rather than on top of it, so I could not see it. The GPS flickered as well. I ended up using the Gateway to surf the net, and my old Dells for my FS8 and FS9.

Lately, (when using the Gateway for testing or to demonstrate something to someone) I've noticed that when droning along with the AP set to altitude hold, the A/C will suddenly pitch up or down by more than twenty degrees. Oh joy!

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Elmer J. Fudd

Archived