Starting again

Scorpion

I have just downloaded Little Navmap and decided to try to use it by planning and plotting route.

This is what I did EGNM - EGNJ – EGBB – EGTK – EGTE – EGFE – EIDW – EGNT

Bradford - Humberside - Birmingham - Kidlington - Exeter - Haverfordwest - Dublin - Newcastle. I didn't use GPS at all.

My problem is that not all beacons or airports have VOR or ADFS, so is it cheating to keep the map open so that I can see where I am going. Are there any tips or tricks that might help.

I still have a lot to learn but now with my map I am looking forward to it.

Couple really basic tools that make navigation a snap: A watch of some sort, like a stop-watch or wristwatch. An airspeed indicator. A set of AAA maps (or equivalent). And the most important, but generally least used: The pilot's brain. It should be for something other than keeping his ears apart, after all.

Simply look at the distance on the map, let's say 100 miles, for example, from airport A to airport B. Your plane flies at 50 mph, again, just for example. Since R*T=D (Rate times time equals distance) 50 MPH Times 2 hours will take you 100 miles. Now, just watch your compass. You should be close to airport B. Real close. After the two hours have elapsed, and presuming you stayed the course, as the saying goes. Just enter the pattern and land. Or change course to the next target. Don't forget to have the distance and your plane's speed already calculated! Just fly the new heading till you get there.

If you're not entirely sure where you are, circle the town's water tower. They usually have the name in big, bold letters on it. Then just look at your AAA maps for a major crossroads, or a main road you can follow to the airport.

No reason you can't use the Little Navmap display in place of the AAA maps.

Simple, huh?

Good luck, fair winds, and as always, have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I have just downloaded Little Navmap and decided to try to use it by planning and plotting route.

This is what I did EGNM - EGNJ – EGBB – EGTK – EGTE – EGFE – EIDW – EGNT

Bradford - Humberside - Birmingham - Kidlington - Exeter - Haverfordwest - Dublin - Newcastle. I didn't use GPS at all.

My problem is that not all beacons or airports have VOR or ADFS, so is it cheating to keep the map open so that I can see where I am going. Are there any tips or tricks that might help.

I still have a lot to learn but now with my map I am looking forward to it.

In my real aircraft I carry an iPad with ForeFlight and it does much the same thing, so it's not cheating...

Thanks for the help. I hope that you all don't mind my asking all of these questions?

I have been looking up Heathrow-EGLL and Gatwick-EGKK both have the same frequency 113.6?

NDB Burnham-421.0 is the closest to heathrow but what should I use for Gatwick? The ILS is 110.90 for Gatwick and Heathrow has many, as I feel like a complete idiot should I just toss a coin to pick one

Terry

I have just had a thought is it best, once I get close to use my GPS to guide me to the chosen runway?

Make a note of the runway numbers, for these are headings that will line you up for the landing. When you are flying towards an airport that has ILS, and you want to land there, then dial in the runway heading into your VOR. Fly in a direction that will intercept that heading radial. When the VOR centre needle lines up vertically, then turn the plane onto the same heading, which you do by moving the bug on heading indicator. You will now be flying in the direction of the end of the runway. Use the AP and activate the APR button. The AP will then keep you on track right to the runway threshold. Use the horizontal needle on the VOR to line up with the glidepath.

Heathrow ILS is 110.3 and Gatwick is 110.9.

I'm also a newbie at this, only a couple of months into it. I am using Plan G as my flight planner and find it uncomplicated to use.

Last bit of advice, you should look at You Tube tutorials, there are some good ones there.

Archived