SRX2012 update uploaded March 2018

pvarn

Over two years since the last update of the flight model, panel, sounds and effects for the freeware Alphasim SR-71a.

In the next 24-48 hours you should find file: srx2012updt4n3.zip in the FSX modern military library. Correction: srx2012updt4n3a.zip

For those who already have this installed, all you need is this update file and over-write all that you have and add some files from this distribution.

If you do not yet have it fully installed, you will need the original six installation files extracted and placed in your FSX installation. The list of files is in both the update description and detailed installation instructions README within the distribution. The HISTORY text file contains a list of past update file features.

The original six distribution files will create an FSX Deluxe only installation. After adding this new update file, you will have an updated Deluxe OR Acceleration/Gold/Steam installation.

** P3D V4 is NOT supported due to the age of the 3D model from Alphasim which crashes P3D V4. There is nothing I can do about this. If you think you might enjoy the model but are a P3D user, I believe it's possible to have both MS FSX and P3D versions installed if you are so inclined.

Please take a look at the promotion and training videos on YouTube for this model to be sure this is something you will enjoy because the installation and the learning curve is more than most people are used to in an FSX model.

Those who already have a working installation of this model only need to extract the contents of this update file to their computer.

Be sure to look at the reference image for the panel contained in the flight manual to be sure you have the panel installed correctly.

The flight model and panel are tightly integrated. The panel and model will not work with other 3D models nor will other 3D models, panels or flight models from other distributions work with this model. Mixing and matching will not work and still retain the performance and features of this distribution.

For those completely new to the model, you'll find the initial installation a bit lengthy. Learning to fly the model is daunting because much of the real world pilot work load of the original aircraft has been emulated. To help learn the model, there are many training and demonstration videos available on YouTube by searching the exact text: "srx2012 Paul Varn". The flightsim.com library also has an FSX "adventure" scripted training mission when loaded into the sim, takes you on a real world simulated Beale Air Force Base "BECKY" training sortie with step by step instructions. There is a highly detailed Web Browser based operator manual which is fully indexed, linked with related images. Detailed kneeboard specifications and checklist for all operations of the aircraft are available with shift-10. Learning to fly this model without skimming through the manual will be very difficult as there are many unique gauges not found on other aircraft which need to be operated precisely.

While there is a lot of speculation about the performance of the SR-71, this model is specifically designed to adhere to the methods and procedures used by the US Air Force as detailed in the official flight manual. The model will fly as the real world pilots were trained to fly it and under the right conditions will meet or exceed real world documented SR-71 speed and altitude records.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

ANOTHER update!? Let me know when your final version is available as a single download - even if it's 299 Mb. Cheesh.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi Paul,

Ignore Chuck - keep the updates coming as and when you feel the need to release them. At least you are still supporting your creation unlike many other contributors/developers.

Actually, regarding Chuck's comments - its a bit ironic (and hypercritical) considering what he states in post #1 of this THREAD regarding support from developers. I also remember him making similar comments in a another thread regarding the use of the comments field where he also commented on the lack of updates/support from developers.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for your support, longbreak754.

I discovered an error and uploaded a correction file: srx2012updt4n3a.zip

For those who have already extracted the last file, all acceleration users need is the ACC folder *.AIR file. Sorry I missed this.

Although I have one last feature I've been testing for a few years I'd like to add, available time and health may conspire to keep this current update the last.

I've been working on a hidden gauge which the GPS automatically calculates the turn prediction based on distance, angle and speed further reducing the pilot navigation work load. Although I personally feel this would make the GPS behave more like the SR-71 navigation and allow pilots to navigate easier, I may never finish this feature.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I'll re-quote from the 3rd paragraph from post #1:

"P3D V4 is NOT supported due to the age of the 3D model from Alphasim. There is nothing I can do about this."

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Pv-

• 6 months later...

The latest SR-71 version, FSX Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird SRX2012 Update 4N3a, is fantastic :). It represents years of work by Paul and is the best SR-71 sim IMO. Thanks for this great model!

This version seems to be more sensitive to properly following the descent schedule. I recently started flying it again and discovered I was way too sloppy on descents and experienced several compressor stalls as a result, when doing the numerous refuels on KBAB to EGLF record run.

Paul, let me know if you would like help with the advanced turn gauge you mentioned.

Safe landings,

Laser

Archived