ILS available?

Luckypup

This may be stupid question but, is it possible to ad. in some manner, ILS capability to A/C that don't have it? I would like to add ILS capability to the default DC-3 and/or the MAAM Sim Dc-3.

Steve

Steve - This might be your lucky day? I found what you are looking for on Simviation. I use FSX, but the download does not specify 2004 or FSX. Title of the download is DC3 2D panel upgrade V2 by Grant06. Works like a champ, but it is missing the NAV/GPS switch, but I took care of that, using a switch from another aircraft panel cfg. Let me know if it works out for you, and if so, if you need the info on the switch I added, let me know!

Rick

Hi Rick - Thanks for the info. I found the file you mentioned but it specifically states it's for FSX. I have FSX but don't use it. I have too many planes & repaints etc on 2004.

I did however find, on Simviation panels page 18, a panel that appantly is for the 2004 default DC -3 by CliveRyan but it looks terribly complicated to load and I'll have to study it for awhile.

Steve

Sorry, Steve, I went back in on the site and saw the listing that shows FSX, HOWEVER, I knew I hadn't lost my mind, just yet, so I did a search on FSX, panels and on PG 8, they show the same listing which does not specify FSX or 2004. The size of the download and the number of downloads agree with the listing you found. It doesn't matter, it's got to be one of the same!

I hope you have luck in the listing you found. It makes a difference in having the autopilot and the ILS capability, and I am having so much fun with this aircraft now. Before, if you wanted to fly any distance at all, you were constantly changing the trim wheel, chasing the changes in altitude! Plane wasn't worth the effort in anything beyond just being able to do landing patterns! Now, I can venture out a bit!

If you don't have luck in the Clive download, you might want to see if the FSX download might work for your aircraft. I have had more that one occasion where I have used a 2004 download in FSX, maybe you might get lucky using an FSX download on a 2004 aircraft. Save your original panel file and if it doesn't work, just move the original panel back and life goes on! If it does work, it is well worth the effort!

Good luck! - Rick

This is why I have invested in FS Panel Studio. It will allow you to easily change a cockpit. Even the VC, but you have to copy replace the gauge to the exact same coordinates and size for it to show up correctly in the VC. If you try to edit a paid-for A/C, it's a little more difficult. I edited the PMDG 737 in FS2004 once to add a button to launch a flight attendant sound panel (can't remember the name), but it was like the whole VC had an invisible gauge covering that had to be temp moved so I can place my button gauge. Then I brought the invisible gauge covering back.

Steve - Don't even try to download the FSX download. I had FS 2004 on my computer, I tried downloading it to the 2004 program. It was nice enough to give me all the new goodies that you are looking for, but, it deleted all the original gauges. I deleted the program in its entirety, as I was going to do that anyway. My neighbor is wanting to play around with flight sim but I don't think he has the horsepower to use FSX. I will give him the 2004 program and that will make him happy!

Anyway, I wish you well in the Clive download. If you can get that to work, the DC will be a new happy addition to your flight simming! Enjoy - Rick

Well. thanks guys. Rick, I found the 2004 download you mention and I've read the READ.ME file and I'm hesitant to try to load it. I've got to study it a bit I also found a mod for the MAAMSIM panel. Just go to simviation and type the keyword MAAM and enter the 2004 Panel search parameters.

Steve - Read above! DO NOT try to download the one that worked in my FSX aircraft file. It will give you all you are looking for, but it will take whatever is left and delete it. It will give you a panel with a lot of holes! Try on your own, stick with the 2004 downloads and hopefully you will find something that will work?

Good luck! - Rick

My apologies Steve! I just tried to download some panels for myself, and I guess the freebie days are gone? Need to sign up for premium memberships, I believe $4.99 for 3 months or 14.99/year!

I have downloaded plenty in the past by signing in to Google, now it takes you right to the Premium membership sign-in screen! Sorry, I'll keep looking for another site that offers the basic freeware downloads!

+1 on FS Panel Studio. It's chief advantage is it loads your aircraft panels for its background and then you can insert, delete, resize, and move around gauges without having to reload the model to see the changes. FS does not have to run to see them. I did quite a bit of modification using airliners.net cockpit photos.

You can also grab gauges from different models from the FS gauges folder or from the gauges folder within an aircraft folder.

I recommend the CD version as to upgrade to a new version it is much simpler. It is sold by flight1:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FL1-FPS-001

and the author's product page is here:

http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

and that page states it will edit FS9 and the Steam version of FSX.

I use it on Win 7 Pro but the author's page states that it can be used with Win 7, 8, and 10.

There is another product that might interest you and that is a set of gauges:

http://secure.simmarket.com/ernie-alston-integrated-simavionics-group-1-(isg1).phtml

The author has a download library of free completed contributed panels and the panel.cfgs were created by fspanel studio. To use these gauges some .ini files may need editing for the dynamics of the gauge such as v-speed parameters.

http://www.isgsim.com/ is the author's page for the gauges and panel.cfg downloads.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steve - I understand and that's the one you should try to download. I was just giving you a "heads up" not to try the FSX download, as I had already tried it on my FS 2004! Does not work!

Good luck and keep us posted on the download! Have a nice day! - Rick

I really don't understand the issue!

The default MAAM-SIM panel has a VOR1 gauge anyway, as I suggested above (but seem to have been ignored).

Take a look at http://www.maam.org/flightsim/PACKAGES/R4D.htm . The fourth image down shows the panel. In the lower left corner is the VOR1 gauge. There's an even larger view a couple of images below that. Another image shows one on the co-pilot's panel too.

Scroll further down to "User's Manual" and an illostration labels it as VOR1 OBI if you still don't believe me.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

John - I don't know what Steve has, he wanted a download for the default DC3 and/or Maam

I have FSX and found a download to give me everything Steve is wanting. I tried the download in FS9 and it would not work. Below is what I have on my DC3 and am enjoying every minute of it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202178[/ATTACH]

As you can see, my download gave me HSI, VOR, 2 fuel flows, trim wheel, trim indicator, auto pilot. I had to add the NAV/GPS switch just left of auto pilot. I am sure Steve will sort out what he has and also take your information and decide what works best for him!

Thanks - Rick

John - I don't know what Steve has, he wanted a download for the default DC3 and/or Maam

In the first post he intimated he had both.

Which is why I suggested he alisased the MAAM one to the MS aircraft. I have done that myself and there do not seem to be any incompatabilities.

I'm not discrediting the one you are using, Rick, and perhaps some don't like the Sperry autopilot but the majority of DC-3s today have the Sperry removed and have no autopilot at all! One real-world DC-3 pilot once said to me "flying a DC-3 is like driving a car - you really don't need an autopilot". I have tried that and in FS that is true too. The only problem I have there is that I'm rather prone to nodding off in front of a computer screen . . .

Best regards,

John

John - Please clarify, where do you see a Sperry autopilot in my panel pic? I agree that an auto pilot in a DC3 might not be the "Macho thing" to do in RW flying, it is needed for me, in a flight Sim world chasing altitudes with a trim wheel!

As far as the autopilot goes, looks like a modern day Bendix-King to me? Just the name Sperry sounds antiquated to me! I haven't been out of RW flying that long, but when I was, the Sperry name never came up, of course I wasn't flying vintage DC3's either! Today, I am dealing with flight sim vintage aircraft w/ modern electronics! JMHO

John - Please clarify, where do you see a Sperry autopilot in my panel pic? I agree that an auto pilot in a DC3 might not be the "Macho thing" to do in RW flying, it is needed for me, in a flight Sim world chasing altitudes with a trim wheel!

As far as the autopilot goes, looks like a modern day Bendix-King to me? Just the name Sperry sounds antiquated to me! I haven't been out of RW flying that long, but when I was, the Sperry name never came up, of course I wasn't flying vintage DC3's either! Today, I am dealing with flight sim vintage aircraft w/ modern electronics! JMHO

Sorry if I caused confusion - I was trying to say some might not like the Sperry in the MAAM panel and prefer the one you are using.

I think the Sperry APs fell out of use at an early date, perhaps through lack of parts. In FS, you can still easily lock at desired altitude with keypresses Z and Ctrl Z. Climb and descent rate can be managed but it is fiddly. You can turn using it too, but it isn't a case of setting a heading as on modern APs. Similar principle APs were provided on 1950s airliners, right through to early jets.

I don't have any wish to tell people what AP they choose to use. I just can't puzzle out the OP's reluctance to use a ready-made panel he will already have on his system that already has a VOR1 gauge present.

Best regards,

John

John - I understand! I do like the looks of the Maam pics you have provided. I am currently having some computer issues and recently uninstalled my FS 2004. I am sure, in due time, Steve will make his decision of which way to go, to give himself what he is looking for!

Thanks, John, and have a nice day! - Rick

Well, I want to thank everybody. I've been reading thru the instructions and I'm afraid to even try. I've downloaded and installed a bunch of airplanes but this is just too much for me. Rick, that panel looks great and it appears to be what I want but if I try to load it I'll screw everything up. Shoot, I don't even know what 'aliasing' means.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Steve

Steve - Yes, you do not want to download what I have for FSX. Did you read John Hinson's thread about the Maam download? Apparently, from what he said it has what you might be looking for? Check it out, I don't have the Maam download, but if you have it, you might be in business?

Lots of luck, hope you find something! - Rick

John is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to flight simming, so you might want to reach out to him after reading his Maam post. He'll help you if he can!

Steve - Aliasing is, let me try to make this as simple as can be. If I had a J3 Cub, and wanted it to sound like a Bombardier CRJ700 (as absurd as that might sound), I could do that by going in on the J3 Cub sound folder and instruct it to use the CRJ700 sound! Usually, the line in the sound file would look like:

alias=bombardier_crj700\sound

Another example, right now I have a Piper Turbo Arrow that I needed a source for sound, so I chose the Mooney Bravo and the sound file looks like this:

alias=mooney_bravo\sound

You can do the same things for panels! All you are doing is using a source which you already have in your flight sim files and using it for another aircraft application, be it sound or panel!

I hope I didn't confuse you more! Good luck, this will all happen, just have to be patient and listen to the help some of these "long time simmers" have to offer! That's what I like about these forums, you can learn a lot from the people who have been doing this for a long time! - Rick

Steve - Found these this morning on SurClaro website https://www.surclaro.com/fs2004-downloads.html

Pg 8 Douglas DC3 panel by Silva

Pg47 DC3 IFR Panel by MacMillan

Pg48 Douglas DC3 2d IFR Panel

Pictures are small, hard to see what is included. You can always download each, if it's not what you want, delete it and move on to the next one!

"Let's do this!"

Good luck - Rick

Steve - I apologize, this site for the downloads, apparently the freebie downloads are gone, now Premium at $4.99 for 3 months or $14.99 for a year. I tried to download a couple of panels for myself and got the same response. I have downloaded several in the past with no problems, but the new option is up to you! Out of 3 downloads I have offered, you may get one that suits you?

Good luck! - Rick

OK, I've sorted thru all of Simviation's 2004 Panel files and (after a good nights sleep) am ready to see if I can this. Before I start I have one very basic question: By ILS capability, I mean that the auto pilot takes over and lands the airplane if the proper runway frequency is input to NAV 1 and the APPROACH button is pushed.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to land it myself but I'm fairly good at it, but every now and then I like to set it up on final and watch the DC_3 get all dirtied up, gear and flaps down, as it lands. I take over a mile or so out. An excellent example of what I want is the FSDesigns L049 Connie.

The files I'm looking at are ;

DC-3 Twin panel package by Mark Beaumont on Pg 2 and his DC-3 Single Panel IFR update on pg 4

DC-3 Modernized gauges also by Mark Beaumont on pg 9

DC3 Photo real Re-built Panel shareware Will Fisher on pg 13

Douglas DC-3 Reworked Panel by Carlo van Erp on pg 15. This the only one that specifically mentions backcourse and approach buttons.

Archived