Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ILS Training ?

Default ILS Training ?

I am trying to learn how to land using ILS. What does the instrument that I must use look like, must it be turned on manually, and can you recommend a good plane to start with ?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GBJim View Post
    I am trying to learn how to land using ILS. What does the instrument that I must use look like, must it be turned on manually, and can you recommend a good plane to start with ?

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    You can use the standard fsx Cessna 172. If you use the one which has the glass cockpit the instrument is on the pfd. Press the CDI soft button at the bottom of the pfd so that VOR1 shows then tune your Nav1 to the ils frequency. Once you are in range you will see a broken line on the Vor1 instrument just like if you were using the gps. Also you will see a tape next to it which shows the glideslope. If the green diamond is shown at the top of the tape you are too low. If it shows at the bottom you are too high.

Good luck
    Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GBJim View Post
    I am trying to learn how to land using ILS. What does the instrument that I must use look like, must it be turned on manually, and can you recommend a good plane to start with?

Jim
    All these questions, and more, are answered in the FSX Learning Center.

Start with that.

If not in the glass cockpit then the VOR1 gauge will look like this:

Name:  index.jpeg
Views: 286
Size:  9.4 KB
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Hi Jim - Take in all that has been suggested so far. There are also some good videos on YouTube on ILS landings, both small aircraft and large! Once you get the ILS landings down, you will wonder why you didn't learn them earlier!

Happy flying and good luck! - Rick

Stinger, I am lost and ready to give up. I can't find a pdf, CDI soft button, or VOR1 anywhere. I am a lost soul and will be flying recklessly without ILS forever. I cannot get those needles to move no how. I am doomed !

Jim
    Last edited by GBJim; 03-13-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Jim - Don't give up so easily! I don't know where you live and don't know if you have access to YouTube videos? There are plenty on there and are easier to follow, rather than any of us trying to explain it to you! Do a search in YouTube Cessna 172 ILS approach and landing. Also, do a google search, on the same and there are lots of articles, but illustration/pictures are lacking!
    Hang in there, you'll get it. Take notes, if you later find you don't understand your own notes, go back to the video and watch it again, as many times it takes to sink in!

Don't give up! You can do it! - Rick

Good luck! - Rick

Jim[/QUOTE]

Get a hold of yourself. Don't jump yet, regain control and land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuEI5JQDBc

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post
    Hi Jim - Take in all that has been suggested so far. There are also some good videos on YouTube on ILS landings, both small aircraft and large! Once you get the ILS landings down, you will wonder why you didn't learn them earlier!

Happy flying and good luck! - Rick
    Did you change the NAV/GPS switch to NAV? Without that the VOR/ILS stuff doesn't work.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast