First Flying car available for purchase

In spite of the article's claim, it's not the first, and it's apparently not even fully certified yet. Back in the 1950s, you could have bought Molt Taylor's Aerocar. It was fully certified, and there were a very few made. Of course they were expensive ($25,000, a lot of money back then) and the demand never materialized.

A number of years ago, one paid a visit here in the Denver area, to Jeffco (BJC), now called Rocky Mountain Metropolitan. I was lucky enough to be able to not only get a look at it, but to watch it fly. It has a rather unique sound. Neat stuff.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

In spite of the article's claim, it's not the first, and it's apparently not even fully certified yet. Back in the 1950s, you could have bought Molt Taylor's Aerocar. It was fully certified, and there were a very few made. Of course they were expensive ($25,000, a lot of money back then) and the demand never materialized.

A number of years ago, one paid a visit here in the Denver area, to Jeffco (BJC), now called Rocky Mountain Metropolitan. I was lucky enough to be able to not only get a look at it, but to watch it fly. It has a rather unique sound. Neat stuff.

Thanks Larry! I've always loved the Aerocar. I'm sure these guys in Switzerland are thinking theirs is the first of the "modern area" to be for sale to the general public. Never saw one in person, only on the newsreels on TV.

Hell, I'm still waiting for my "promised" jet-pack!;)

Love that Bob! showing the Aerocar in action

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Wont be able to fly from anything other than airfields or airports. No point to this POS (sorry PAL) if you have to drive to the airfield anyway - might as well keep your `cheap` 2-seat Diamond DA20-100 (same Rotax engine, less than half the fuel consumption) there and fly to the nearest airfield to your destination, and hire a car.

It's an autogyro so can't be certified for anything other than Day (and possibly Night) VFR. So you can't take to the skies because the weather has jammed up the roads.

Total useful load is 546lb / 246 kilos. It carries 100 l of fuel (at 0.71-0.77 Kg/L that's about 71-77 kilos), leaving just 155 kilos for `Driver` and passenger after you subtract the 20 kilo max baggage.

But to offset that weight requires increased fuel burn and the Thing only lists an airborne range of 400 km at MTOW (with 1/2 hr reserve). So you can't go places in it...

Next, the Rotax engine used is NOT Euro 4 compliant or approved for road use so I doubt it can be licensed for the road anywhere in Europe...

... not only does $622,000 not add up, neither do its performance figures. About as much us as a chocolate fireguard.

Don't get swept up by the hype. :rolleyes:

Archived