Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need to change turning radius for Jens B. Kristensen's Vickers Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by asos View Post
    Can one of you two (or both) post a whole text section similar to the one I posted so I can have tight turns on the ground please?

What fascinates me is how you two guys gained your impressive knowledge of these parameters?
    Tutorial somewhere or through trial and error?
    If thru a tutorial, please post a link for me here.

Nick
    A hell of a lot of reading, Nick. Here and sites like AVSIM and SOH. Also the eagerness to help fellow simmers like yourself. Google is a good friend for finding answers even for questions I have no interest in, personally, but to learn and pass on to others.

Copy the [Contact points] by napamule2 in post #6.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Quote: '..so I can have tight turns on the ground please?'

The only thing you are going to be able to have is SLOW TURNS (by prudent management of throttle). No 'tight' turns at 20 kts (or 10 kts for that matter) are possible. The model does not have that 'capability'. It's big, it's heavy, and it's clumsy. It did not have brakes. It landed on grass fields (not pavement). It 'jamed' at 87 kts and landed at 45 kts. It is not a Cessna. So accept that limitation or go home.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I hope I didn't sound 'angry'. Not my intention. I just want to firmly emphasise that this may be a 'beast' when it comes to handling but in other ways it's a fantastic job by Mr Christensen with the FDEs (dynamics). He MUST of put in a lot of hours of work on the cfg and air file to make this 'brick' work like he intended. Very interesting method(s). For example: (SAVE a copy of cfg first): cut the weight in half and the MOI's by 1/3 and see what happens. With positive pitch trim you can fly around at 45 kts because...he made the 'oswald_efficiency_factor=1.300' (ie: wing efficiency). I get more of a kick messing with FDEs than actually flying it. But that's just me. If you want to fly it at 180 kts, do aerobatic rolls, and 'make sharp turns' on taxi, to put into a video to show what a hot-shot you are then that ain't going to happen. If you do achieve that please post the changes here. I would like to see them (as if). Happy Flying (anyway).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Blog Entries

Thanks Napamule and Zippy...

Will do as advised.

I am also thinking of give the aircraft the airfile of DC-3 (suitably renamed), to make it fly faster--will report results here when I have tested that.

Nick

Ha Ha. The jokes on you. He already used the DC3 air file. Ask me how I know. It's the aircraft cfg that he did all the work on. You will be working on it until Easter. Ha. Have fun!
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    PS: Sorry I mispelled Jan's name: it's Kristensen with a 'K' not a 'C'.

Asos,
    Not back yet? What happened? Got lost? Need help (hehe). Just kidding. I have been doing this for 15 years so I don't expect you to learn it all in a day. I used the DC3 cfg and air file, just for fun, and it cruise at 220 kts yet lands at 58 kts. Turns on a dime. Made a video (link below).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Link: https://youtu.be/OfeZadBrS68

Blog Entries

Napamule,

Saw your video-it sure turns on a dime--can you send me the two files please through https://www.filemail.com/

Sending you my regular email address through pm.

Nick

Blog Entries

I have been making a fictional repaint of the Vernon. I may also weather it a little.
    See screenshots here.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2