Going to build full cockpit sim. Any suggestions, advices...?

zhuleny

Hello people.

After long time of "flying" on MS FS, recently I got b-day gift - flying experience in real cockpit simulator of big commercial airliner. You know, those semi-professional full scale realistic imitation of cockpit used for public and also training pilots...

I was so excited from this experience, that I could not sleep for few days and more and more realized, that I want something like that in my home. Now my "flying room" with ordinary joystick and monitor looks suddenly so dull...

So... Is there anybody who already have that, build it or purchase some parts of such thing?

Any suggestion what I should do, what should not, what I need to be aware of and so on...?

I can honestly say that I am skilled with tools like screwdriver, soldering iron and such DIY things... I understand electric scheme and signature of components well enough that I can build or complete electronics components or wiring by myself, so I do not need to purchase expensive already-made panels or hardware parts. If I get proper detailed guide of building this or that, I can do it.

Oh, maybe I should mention I have 3D printer, so there is another advantage to build many parts cheaply.

I also still not decided, whether to build Boeing or Airbus cockpit. Personally I don't mind, I am happy with both, but I have no idea of advantages and disadvantages of each that aircraft cockpits.

Well, price is not everything, but I am not millionaire, so cut expenses as low as possible is important part of what and how I will build.

I would go as close as possible to imitating real cockpit layout, but it don't need to be perfect.

Another question - possible to use laptops for avionics? I have two spare Dell Latitude E6400 laptops, so I hope I can use them for avionics. Both have VGA and Display port. How many computers I need? And how many displays for projecting scenery I can/need/should connect?

Thank you very much for any advice and direction.

Jan H.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to build a home sim? Have a look here - http://www.flightvectors.com. We design and manufacture posters and panel sets for the training industry but these are a great low cost way to get a complete cockpit environment that you can build on. We can print onto paper, self-adhesive vinyl, photo board, aluminium sandwich - in fact any material.

B737 Trainer 2 Sm.jpg

B737 Trainer Sm.jpg

Hello people.

After long time of "flying" on MS FS, recently I got b-day gift - flying experience in real cockpit simulator of big commercial airliner. You know, those semi-professional full scale realistic imitation of cockpit used for public and also training pilots...

I was so excited from this experience, that I could not sleep for few days and more and more realized, that I want something like that in my home. Now my "flying room" with ordinary joystick and monitor looks suddenly so dull...

So... Is there anybody who already have that, build it or purchase some parts of such thing?

Any suggestion what I should do, what should not, what I need to be aware of and so on...?

I can honestly say that I am skilled with tools like screwdriver, soldering iron and such DIY things... I understand electric scheme and signature of components well enough that I can build or complete electronics components or wiring by myself, so I do not need to purchase expensive already-made panels or hardware parts. If I get proper detailed guide of building this or that, I can do it.

Oh, maybe I should mention I have 3D printer, so there is another advantage to build many parts cheaply.

I also still not decided, whether to build Boeing or Airbus cockpit. Personally I don't mind, I am happy with both, but I have no idea of advantages and disadvantages of each that aircraft cockpits.

Well, price is not everything, but I am not millionaire, so cut expenses as low as possible is important part of what and how I will build.

I would go as close as possible to imitating real cockpit layout, but it don't need to be perfect.

Another question - possible to use laptops for avionics? I have two spare Dell Latitude E6400 laptops, so I hope I can use them for avionics. Both have VGA and Display port. How many computers I need? And how many displays for projecting scenery I can/need/should connect?

Thank you very much for any advice and direction.

Jan H.

Hi im new here and pretty much want to build my own 737 pit from scratch. I have no flight experience i just got a motion simulator for racing and just recently drifted into flight hoping to deal with my fear of flying by getting to know an aircraft i guess plus it seemed like a cool idea.

Been looking in various cnc routers to make panels and vids on wiring up ect .a few places for a throttle and yoke and hopefully it get this project started by xmas.

I have absolutely no idea what 8m doing but that's the challenge for me

Archived