Screenshots for Scenery I am creating for FSX and P3D

rjord

I have started designing my own scenery for FSX and P3D at the same time as updating airports in Australia to a 2018 version.

A big learning curve as I had no idea how to create new scenery until I started looking at it on the weekend. So instead of starting at a large airport such as Sydney Kingsford International I will start with a much smaller airport.

Below is a test shot of Lord Howe Island after adding photo-real landscape and water.....work very much in progress.

The size of the BGL file for Lord Howe Island is 105MB.

Lord Howe Island1.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

Looking like a fine endeavour, mostly with autogen available with the photoreal concept. Keep us updated as that will more than interest the community :):):)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Hi!

Looking like a fine endeavour, mostly with autogen available with the photoreal concept. Keep us updated as that will more than interest the community :):):)

Thanks for that........ I intend to post pictures here often with each of the airports I add starting first off in Australia and then other countries.

I think this project takes a lot of time at the start researching exactly how to do this scenery but hopefully after finishing Lord Howe Island I can get airports out a lot quicker.

If anyone has a wish list for Australian airports they would like me to look at please feel free to make a suggestion here.

By default Lord Howe Island in FSX only has General Aviation Traffic going to the airport....however in real life there are many aircraft that land at the airport such as the Qantas Dash 8s.

This morning I added a 7 day schedule for the Dash 8s using the actual flights that arrived or left the airport in the last week.

Ran a test of the new AI but they did not appear at the airport so need to find out what happened.

I did create the following screenshot while watching a General Aviation aircraft head towards Lord Howe Island on its flight from Port Macquarie. This tested how real the island looked from a distance.

Lord Howe Island3.jpg

I will soon start replacing the ship traffic around Australia........ when flying along the coast there should be more ships anchored off the coast of ports like Sydney as well as travelling up and down the coast.

As you can see in the picture below there are 4 ships off the coast of Sydney at the moment so I would like to see at least 2 or 3 at least showing in FSX.

The trick is not to reduce the performance of the flight sim when adding the ship traffic.

Ships01.jpg

Ships02.jpg

You're doing some serious good work here!! Having said that, good luck keeping your performance up! Everything you add makes that tougher.

My hat's off to you. Please keep us updated as you continue!!:cool:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Looks very good already, my hat off:cool::cool::pilot:

That looks like the perfect airport for a certain Royal Aviator we all know!

Water at both ends for him to land in. Just perfect.

:D :D :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi again!

Just a suggestion about your idea to have more ships about Australia. Maybe you could first consider that some freewares exists which yield ships traffic worldwide. That would allow you to focus upon airports and terrain maybe :cool:

check on that site at the files library with such keywords like 'AI ships FSX' On those freewares one is my creation :):) (and not based upon real ships schedules or types but unto giving a statistically true traffic worldwide). Which means, for example, that you shouldn't have those ships you want necessarily always off Sydney, for example

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Another set of keywords that will return some great results for ships is Henrik Nielsen. Plug those into either the library here, or Google. You'll get a ton of returns. Henrick is staggeringly prolific, and the quality of his ships, as well as the routes they run around the world, is extremely high quality. All FREE too!

Naturally, you may want to add in a few SAR boats at the ends of the runway for His Peerness :D :p

Still, looking very very good!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Another set of keywords that will return some great results for ships is Henrik Nielsen. Plug those into either the library here, or Google. You'll get a ton of returns. Henrick is staggeringly prolific, and the quality of his ships, as well as the routes they run around the world, is extremely high quality. All FREE too!

Naturally, you may want to add in a few SAR boats at the ends of the runway for His Peerness :D :p

Still, looking very very good!

Pat☺

Hey Pat,

Round me up a H-46 and I'll be happy to "stand by" in case a Jan rescue is needed. At least I promise I'll at least be standing by the "barbie!"

I remember Klee and I both did very well on Jan's tab when we attempted S&R for him last year in Northern Europe!! ;):p:p

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

You're doing some serious good work here!! Having said that, good luck keeping your performance up! Everything you add makes that tougher.

My hat's off to you. Please keep us updated as you continue!!:cool:

My main aim is to keep priority on performance. My main desktop computer I use for gaming is out of action so am using a backup machine which is unable to run the latest version of P3D.

So am designing the scenery in FSX in the meantime. With my machine specs below FSX and my addon scenery for Lord Howe Island are running without any performance issue.

windows specs.jpg

The priority of the projects is to have priority on the airports and scenery with ships being a secondary priority.

When I get back from work I will be redoing the photo real scenery for Lord Howe island.

The first picture below shows a much looking greener Lorde Howe Island.... Google Earth is a browner color and obviously was taken during a hot summer.

The second picture is what I intend to use as the replacement scenery.

Lord Howe Island4.jpg

I have also uninstalled Orbx Global Scenery to make sure my airport is stock Fsx and then my add on.

I had gone into Fsx settings soy custom entries in the configuration file disappeared. But will put those back when I have redone the scenery later today.

When looking at creating scenery for a flight simulator there is no better source of ideas than to look at an actual flight simulator here in Sydney. So looking at the Qantas flight simulator for example it has given me an idea on the compromise needed for photorealism scenery and autogen.

Of course when creating photogenic scenary I would then ask why not just use Orbx Global Scenery.

Well after looking at the Qantas Flight Simulator I have an idea of scenery which will be different to Orbx.

And much work will be needed on my scenery for the airport runways and taxiway textures.

After adding the new "Green" texture for Lord Howe Island and prior to adding the water mask.

At this stage the scenery is dark and stands out from the FSX base scenery but improves after compiling the scenery masks.

Lorde Howe Island and surrounding ocean will be contained within 5 BGL files.

The next step to creating the scenery masks is to create the water mask which means tracing a line around the island and marking where the water is in the scenery.

Lord Howe Island5.jpg

With some photo-scenery I have seen in FSX I have been taxing down towards the runway and passed over the image of a 737 flattened like a pancake beneath me which came from the original satellite image.

This kind of spoiled the enjoyment of that airport.

With my addon scenery the photo scenery for Sydney airport has being heavily modified and as you can see below there are no aircraft of any size at Sydney Kingsford Smith airport.

The rest of today will be spent compiling the scenery into FSX and doing some tests.

no aircraft.jpg

There will be more screenshots later this week but in the mean time I am adding an accurate AI Traffic to FSX and P3D using actual time tables for March 2018.

This will allow me to track individual aircraft and plot the actual airports that aircraft flew to that day.

Timetable.jpg

Archived