Willing to Pay to get Simming! Struggling to get Saitek equipment set up with FSX

Bought a new gaming PC and Saitek Ultimate Bundle to get started. It has been a nightmare. Here is what I am dealing with:

1. Only Yoke, Throttle controls and Rudders stay on: The other components do light up briefly when I turn the computer on, but then go dark (radio, multi, switch and instrument panels)

2. I was able to program the yoke and throttle in FSX - steam edition but not the rudders. Once I turned the game off, the controls were no longer programmed

I started reading the internet for help and it's like looking on the internet for medical symptoms. Just on the controls that aren't working some say it is a USB bus issue in Windows 10, other say don't use the Logitech drivers, etc., etc., etc.,

Is there a service or way to go step by step on this? I am willing to pay for service / support as it is mind numbing how many hours I have put into this without being able to use it...

PC: Alienware R7: intel i7-8700 - 3.2gHz processor, 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 - 2TB Hard drive

1. Welcome to the "World of Crazy"!

1a. Are you plugging all of those USB devices into your computer console? Not a great idea. Get yourself an inexpensive "powered" USB hub and plug it all into that.

2. Look into the possibility of using the paid version of FSUIPC to program all of your "goodies".

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

1. Only Yoke, Throttle controls and Rudders stay on: The other components do light up briefly when I turn the computer on, but then go dark (radio, multi, switch and instrument panels)

2. I was able to program the yoke and throttle in FSX - steam edition but not the rudders. Once I turned the game off, the controls were no longer programmed

Fix one thing at a time and don't go buying extra stuff you don't need (like FSUIPC).

For the yoke, throttle and rudders you need no software to get basic functionality. There is no reason you should not be able to use the rudder in FSX unless it is broken (very unlikely). You say setup is lost when you restart the game but this should not happen. Most likely you unplugged your controls from the USB ports, in which case FSX will guess what they are when you plug them back in and set default mappings. Most likely some of these will be wrong. So once you have programmed them, don't unplug them.

For the radio, multi and switch panels, have you tried running the test program for each of these panels? If a panel works with the test program and not with FSX the most likely explanation is you are simply not running the driver program. When you install each of the panels an entry is supposed to be inserted in a file called exe.xml so that the driver runs automatically with FSX. You can google how to fix that, but you can also try running the driver program manually instead.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

...The other components do light up briefly when I turn the computer on, but then go dark (radio, multi, switch and instrument panels)

Your symptom suggests the panels/FIP are not communicating with FSX as Mr. Hurst pointed out.

...other say don't use the Logitech drivers.

I will have to agree with this. I have 14 FIP's, 3 Radios, 1 Multi Panel, and 1 BIP. They ALL work fine with the original Saitek drivers. I recently tried the newer Logitech drivers myself and got the same issue where the panels don't communicate with FSX. Re-installed the Saitek and BAM! they are all working. The Logitech drivers don't inject themselves properly during installation into FSX like the Saiteks do. You can do some editing with the Logitechs or just install the Saiteks and be done with it.

Still available here...

http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full-3.html

I use...

FIP

Saitek_Pro_Flight_Instrument_Panel_7_0_47_1_x64_Software.exe

Multi/Radio/Switch Panel (Install only once for all three)

Saitek_Pro_Flight_Panels_00000003_Software_pfw.exe

FSX Plugin (This contains the displayed gauges for the FIP's)

Saitek_Pro_Flight_FSX_Plugin_7_0_50_1_x64_Software.exe

If you try them, be sure to UNINSTALL the Logitech drivers first.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

You don't say what operating system you are on but I am guessing Windows 10. Saitek panels get turned off in Windows 10 registry. Trust me I battled this also.

Go here and get this tool. The USB Enhanced Power tool. Plug in your devices and run this tool as administrator. It will fix your registry so that Windows 10 does not shut off the power to your panels. Follow the onscreen instructions.

http://uraster.com/en-us/products/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx

1. Welcome to the "World of Crazy"!

1a. Are you plugging all of those USB devices into your computer console? Not a great idea. Get yourself an inexpensive "powered" USB hub and plug it all into that.

2. Look into the possibility of using the paid version of FSUIPC to program all of your "goodies".

Once again Mr Zippy has probably located the cause of your issues!!Every device whether onboard or usb requires an exact number of watts to operate. In today's world multiple USB ports are often loaded up. When that happens all those USB devices suck their required wattage from the main processor frame rails. When that happens the voltage on the frame rails sags trying to supply the needed watts to everything on the main-frame. With low voltage excess amps are required to provide the watts required. Excess amps means hugely excess temperatures!!

Bottom Line!! If you have more than one or at the most two USB devices attached to your computer YOU REALLY NEED TO SPEND THE $20 OR LESS AND BUY A POWERED USB ADAPTER!!!!

And a paid FSUIPC will also handle many if not most of your usb issues. ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Bottom Line!! If you have more than one or at the most two USB devices attached to your computer YOU REALLY NEED TO SPEND THE $20 OR LESS AND BUY A POWERED USB ADAPTER!!!!

I don't have all the specs to hand, but each of these devices will load up your USB port with about 100mA (the radio panel is rated at 140mA, which is probably on the high side as it has all those LEDs). Any USB2 port must be able to supply up to 500mA (it's the standard), and most motherboards provide 10+ USB2 ports. There is nothing wrong with plugging your Saitek devices into separate USB ports. You don't need a powered hub until you run out of USB ports.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

The thing is that name-brand off-the-shelf systems often have power supplies that will just handle the system plus the mouse and keyboard that comes with it, and not much more.

Play it safe and comfortably and connect all USB devices through powered hubs, it's worth the (cheap) price.

Jorgen

One thing on multi port powered hubs.

Don't make the mistake of getting a 10 port hub. They usually come with a 3 amp power supply, which is only .3 amps per port. Each Saitek Flight Instrument Panel draws .5 amps.

Better to get a 4 port powered hub with a 2.5 amp power supply (or better the same 3 amp) which will give you .63~.75 amps per port.

I've got (5) 4 port hubs. 4 of them daisy chain into the 5th hub. So have 16 ports with .63 amps each.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

The thing is that name-brand off-the-shelf systems often have power supplies that will just handle the system plus the mouse and keyboard that comes with it, and not much more.

Play it safe and comfortably and connect all USB devices through powered hubs, it's worth the (cheap) price.

Jorgen

+1!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Make sure you turn off your 3.0 usb ports your using Saitek only likes 2.0 usb. Go into your BIOS and

go to Advanced>USB and changed the xHCI setting to disabled.. Worked for me. I also use FSUIPC but have the Saitek X52 pro, the Pro Yoke, Peddles and Switch box all working without a powered Hub. Once in awhile a recalibration but 90% 24/7 no issues.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

My god the advice here is horrible. He already said he tried a powered hub. I already gave him the exact answer to the problem yet he gives no reply. Also, Saitek doesn't care if it is USB 2.0 or 3.0, it works on both. If you don't own Saitek panels and have never dealt with them please do not give advice on them. You just confuse people with all this outlandish talk about power supplies and stuff.

He had already said the panels come on for a second when plugged in. This is a classic example of the windows 10 problem I referenced earlier. I have been using these panels since the day they were released. Let's see if he even responds as it has been 2 days.

My god the advice here is horrible. He already said he tried a powered hub. I already gave him the exact answer to the problem yet he gives no reply. Also, Saitek doesn't care if it is USB 2.0 or 3.0, it works on both. If you don't own Saitek panels and have never dealt with them please do not give advice on them. You just confuse people with all this outlandish talk about power supplies and stuff.

He had already said the panels come on for a second when plugged in. This is a classic example of the windows 10 problem I referenced earlier. I have been using these panels since the day they were released. Let's see if he even responds as it has been 2 days.

Well excuse me. But I to had issues and looked it up on line so MrUnsavory you might heed your own advice.

My Setup.jpg

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

You don't have the Multi-Panel OR the radio panel. So You have no idea what kinds of problem these 2 panels induce. I think my comment was right on.

I understand rather well. I looked up your link on how to fix the usb power issue in the registry and that is what I would do if I were using Windows 10. i can tell you with certainty that Saitek product do not work very well when trying to install their drivers and using a 3.0 port. Look that up yourself. I seldom post answers and then only when I am absolutely sure so I do not as you said hand out wrong advice, Ky switch box alone gave me a fit until I stumbled upon a thread actually walking me through the BIOS to disable my 3.0 usb. Before that I to was trying powered hubs the like. Anyway no matter.

Enjoy the Flight!

Mike G.

I have all my panels plugged in to the back of the yoke which is a powered hub. Off my yoke I go to a non powered USB 2.0 hub and have that plugged in to a Fresco USB 3.0 card. I use regular spad when flying 32bit sims and I use LINDA for P3DV4. Don't get me wrong. It just frustrates me when I see people start going in directions that will more then likely not help and are too difficult for a number of people in the hobby. After 38 years in the computer industry and dealing with customers always start with the easy stuff first. There were people on here who were jumping right to Power supply's and stuff.

Do the easy known fix's first. The Windows 10 fix is well known among people who have the powered panels. Trust me I know, I don't even want to recount how many hours I searched for an answer to this after going to Windows 10.

I also do not use the Logitech drivers as they are junk and always have been. As long as you have FSUIPC free on your computer, SPAD is the best program out there for the 32bit sims like FSX.

As I said earlier, I use LINDA for P3DV4 as it is free and does a great job once you set it up.

USB777 We may disagree on things but you will always be my brother in the skies. :)

Ross G.

I have all my panels plugged in to the back of the yoke which is a powered hub. Off my yoke I go to a non powered USB 2.0 hub and have that plugged in to a Fresco USB 3.0 card. I use regular spad when flying 32bit sims and I use LINDA for P3DV4. Don't get me wrong. It just frustrates me when I see people start going in directions that will more then likely not help and are too difficult for a number of people in the hobby. After 38 years in the computer industry and dealing with customers always start with the easy stuff first. There were people on here who were jumping right to Power supply's and stuff.

Do the easy known fix's first. The Windows 10 fix is well known among people who have the powered panels. Trust me I know, I don't even want to recount how many hours I searched for an answer to this after going to Windows 10.

I also do not use the Logitech drivers as they are junk and always have been. As long as you have FSUIPC free on your computer, SPAD is the best program out there for the 32bit sims like FSX.

As I said earlier, I use LINDA for P3DV4 as it is free and does a great job once you set it up.

USB777 We may disagree on things but you will always be my brother in the skies. :)

Ross G.

Everything's cool man! You have already taught me a few new things especially if I ever move to Windows 10. I did just come across this in my research since you aroused my curiosity you might read. I believe you already know what it's about from our conversation but to me it reinforced everything you and I both have said. Let me know what you think. I want to add the other Saitek boxes you have but I to will run into a USB problem. What about a power supply you can use with the Pro Yoke? I haven't been able to find one. That would give me a couple more ports.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/487471-guidelines-for-saitek-and-usb-hubs/

Mike G.

Ross G.

I just downloaded Linda. Never heard of it until talking to you. I kind of understand it as I use SPAD FSUIPC but what do you do with the _MACOSX? Is that for an Apple Computer?

Mike G.

Archived