Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Article: Op-Ed: Was Microsoft Flight Really That Bad?

1. Default Article: Op-Ed: Was Microsoft Flight Really That Bad?

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

I dont know what pair of rose tinted glasses this guy was wearing because they can turn a total loser into something not bad.
    Well before flight was released anyone who had been a sim enthusiast for some time could tell from the publicity shots , that this was going to be a turkey. And the sites around the world were full of criticism. Yet microsoft did not listen and pushed on with this loser. A sign of what they were producing " a game" sent shudders down the backs of every simmer around we dont play a game everyone said we use a simulation, but still M.S. didnt listen , Is this ringing alarm bells dovetail???? more publicity photos and a video were released which further reinforced the fact that Flight was a turkey . Yet again M,S. didnt listen so when it became close to release they foraged around the sim scene for a few well known site owners and publishers to witness Flight before release so they could paint a great picture of how good Flight was. Despite several pages of glowing reports anyone with any modicum of intelligence could see that a turkey was a turkey no matter how you talked it up . It had nothing going for it any 5 year old would have got bored after 5 minutes , it wasnt a simulation that was for sure , and it wasnt even a good game either. what made it worse was the fact that there was precious little scenery available for it and no aircraft because M.S. in their infinite wisdom wanted devs to sell their products through M.S. so it didnt take a great brain to figure out that wasnt going to happen and it didnt, sound familiar dovetail?? they could not even give it away in large quantities it was that bad! So bad managment once again showed that not listening to the public was not the way to go just like they did when they closed down Aces and stopped development on FSX. I am sure M.S. are very proud of getting rid of their best selling simulation that had been going since the 80's. After Flight was binned I felt very sorry for a few of the well known site owners that had been paid to release complimentary reports on Flight because ever since then I doubt they were ever taken seriously again.

3. Default

I agree. FS Steam is another turkey.

Don't think, that this is a rose tinted view of the sim. Certainly MS did some major mistake by trying to make money with the sim (btw is this wrong?). Of course it was very poor management that showed extremely little knowledge of the community. However Flight showed some improvements and although it was limited and game-like still had some interesting looks on offer. Nothing that would keep a real simmer going for very long but certainly it was a big step ahead from default FSX looks. That's what the video is pointing out and I think Michael is quite right.

For what it was, Flight was a *great* little sim. If they had given people what they really wanted, which was access to heavy irons and whatnot, it would've gone over great. The scenery (which was limited) was fantastic.

You can get it from one of the other sites completely free with everything unlocked and you can import the default FSX scenery library so you can fly GA anywhere in the world. People have also got aircraft such as the Beech Baron working in it.

Also, contrary to what the video says, there were some plopped runways.

I've always been disappointed it didn't go over better, but some people refused to accept anything that wasn't MSFS.
    Last edited by andyjohnston; 03-02-2018 at 05:17 PM.

6. Default

Personally I still get very much pleasure from the tried and tested 2004. Great scenery easily available and runs well on an average computer. There again I also bought FS 2000- took it back after 3 days!!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fsblibli View Post
    Don't think, that this is a rose tinted view of the sim. Certainly MS did some major mistake by trying to make money with the sim (btw is this wrong?). Of course it was very poor management that showed extremely little knowledge of the community. However Flight showed some improvements and although it was limited and game-like still had some interesting looks on offer. Nothing that would keep a real simmer going for very long but certainly it was a big step ahead from default FSX looks. That's what the video is pointing out and I think Michael is quite right.
    Trying to make money was certainly not wrong, I think it was just the "in app purchasing" model they used which wasn't popular. The software was designed to garner new users to flight simulation (according to MS Flight comments) but it didn't appeal enough to existing users or new users.

No comment. Two solid years of this pointless bickering was enough for me.

GFWL (Games for Windows Live) is what killed MS Flight for me. Could only run MS Flight once and after that had endless problems connecting and running the sim. I liked the little bit of MS Flight that I saw back then (and largely agree with above video), but if you have a piece of nonsense software always interfering, it is never going to fly, no matter how good the sim is. Same reason I avoid FSX/P3D add-ons with DRM registration.

10. Default

If had been made by someone other than MS it would possibly have been OK and gone on to greater things. However we expected more from Microsoft.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast