FSX with Google Earth scenery

bushp04

Have you seen any of the Youtube videos using FSX aircraft in Google Earth? Incredible!!! As real as it gets because Google takes real photos for its Google Earth application.

Just type "FSX in Google Earth" (without quote marks) in the Youtube search bar, and it will pull them up for you.

This HAS to the next generation of Flight Simulation!! IMHO (I could be wrong, now...) Watch the videos and see what you think!

Have good flights!

bushp04

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

• 3 months later...
I totally agree. The demo vids on YouTube are awesome. This would be as real as it gets. The videos mention something about an interface to use FSX in a mini-window to navigate through Google Earth. Let's hope it comes to be!

But pure photo scenery leaves the earth flat as a pancake, so when you land there is nothing. However, it looks great from about 3,000 feet and up. The reason good scenery cost money, is because it is very time consuming to construct 3D objects to match accurate photo scenery.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Well, Google Earth has a plethora of 3d objects, down to actual trees placed in the correct spot! I would assume that all of that would be on the table for a flight sim interface.

Of course, it would have to be online, since the biggest of our hard drives could probably hold about one block of Manhattan in the real Google Earth! Even so, and even if it cost money, it would be interesting to behold.

• 2 weeks later...
But pure photo scenery leaves the earth flat as a pancake, so when you land there is nothing. However, it looks great from about 3,000 feet and up. The reason good scenery cost money, is because it is very time consuming to construct 3D objects to match accurate photo scenery.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Yes, you're right, when you land, all the beautiful 3D "photoreal" scenery that you see from 3,000 feet up flattens into a huge parking lot. I haven't read anything on it for quite some time now, but I think Google used to have a program called 'sketch-up' for creating 3d objects. I started toying with it just before my FS9 PC exploded. Never got back to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Yes, you're right, when you land, all the beautiful 3D "photoreal" scenery that you see from 3,000 feet up flattens into a huge parking lot. I haven't read anything on it for quite some time now, but I think Google used to have a program called 'sketch-up' for creating 3d objects. I started toying with it just before my FS9 PC exploded. Never got back to it.

Google sold Sketchup years ago. These days they can generate 3D models of buildings en masse from multiple aerial photos, and supplement them with manually created models. Far more cities and towns now have 3D buildings, and even accurate trees, than they used to in Google Earth.

I recently downloaded the Oakland airport here in the library and the author stated he in fact used sketch up for the buildings. That was the first time I ever downloaded an airport using sketch up buildings. All others were probably made in Gmax or something. Then there's a lot that use building libraries you can download here in the library. I used these libraries with EZscenery object placer to create Area-51 in FS2004. Now I have Area-51 in FSX, but the author stuck a giant friggen crane there which is just not real at all and some other crap I need to sort out. Never mind the fact the AFCAD doesn't have parking. It was coded in ADE and I have AFX so I can't edit it. I need to try and get ADE to work. Had issues with it recognizing bglcomp.

Like was said before, Sketchup no longer works with Google Earth. But you can build custom objects and convert them for use with FSX/P3D scenery. The program is a lot easier to use than GMAX, although I always preferred FSDS myself (also much easier to use!)

As for current scenery in GE, yes, it's much more detailed. I can go down the street and look at my house (well, the scenery I have built/released for my area allows that too...)

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Archived