Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avebury Stones

Default Avebury Stones

For those who find Stonehenge smaller than expected, you might want to go about 26 miles South and see the Avebury Circle of Stones. Think of a large city block encircled by ditches, who knows what for, and upright standing stones. That's Avebury.

Having said that, this formation is often believed to be older than Stonehenge and many of the stones were tumbled over to be use for building and other reasons in the last few thousand years. But the ditches show the whole circumference where they once were.

Nearby you'll also find West Kennet (Kennett to some) Long Barrow, a man made earthen area which may be older yet. They're still trying to figure out exactly what those barrows, there are more than one nearby, were built for. Tombs, places of worship? Theories abound.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ave1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	201738

Name:	ave2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	201739

Name:	ave3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	201740

Name:	ave4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	201741

Name:	Kennet.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	201742

Michael
    Last edited by Rupert; 02-25-2018 at 03:01 PM.

About a totally other subject: I thought about your Bronco. When reviewing doc for my websites last week, I stumbled upon a new about a South African company competing in the US about a new fighter, or trainer, I don't remember exactly. I think it's the one on the picture below. I searched again on the site but I could not find the real passage and pic again!
    Name:  mwari.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  59.5 KB
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Effective 3/1/18: Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426

Landing illegally to get up close and personal with some very old, vertical stones; then chasing down yet a second grouping of ancient stones, one might conjure the notion you are contemplating the manufacture of high grade, professional level Curling Stones and you;re looking for the ideal starter block to launch your new venture. Consider this, though Michael, the demand for such a product has diminished considerably since yesterday. By the time you get your venture organized, Curling will be sound asleep for another four years; you will have removed yet another historical pice of questionable things left lying around by the Druids, and you will be lucky to recapture your costs in the sagging economy of the sport as all those exhausted Curler Athletes take their three and a half year vacation, a long rest necessary to prepare for the rigors of yet the next Olympiad and the necessity to precisely glide their stones gently down the ice in an effort to dislodge an opponent and score the very illusive point or two. Better you consider a future in condoms; those will sell.
    B55 Slug.jpg

Gee! I hadn't really taken it that far yet. I was just trying to get close to the stones at Stonehenge. The last time I went there they had a barrier up so you couldn't approach them. It was a piece of 1/4" or so twine strung about a foot off the ground all around the site. Of course since this was England, no one ever thought to step across that barrier!!

I was hoping everyone would get so interested in the plane that I could sneak in for a closer look!

As to Amesbury, I was way late there! Apparently the locals have used many of those stones for centuries. So it looked decimated enough that I didn't even bother finding a place to land.

There was a third stone trip on my part you're not even aware of. I went up to the Isle of Lewis hoping to find the Callinsh Stones. Based on pictures I'd seen, they were probably easier to harvest. In fact, that may be the case! I searched high and low all around the coordinates I found for them, and no stones!!!

But perhaps you are right (ONCE) There were a lot of stones thrown and slid around in South Korea during the last couple of weeks! Perhaps the locals have made a killing off them already!!

Michael
    Last edited by Rupert; 02-26-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Interesting thread. Curious what finds its way into a flight simulator.

I read that Stonehenge was build over a period of 1500 years.?!

And you thought your contractor was slow! -- Bob

"Gee! I hadn't really taken it that far yet"
    Hi! Most likely such areas are kind of a national monument but above all, you likely disturbed fairies and elves LOL
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Say Michael, my good friend, I followed all your instructions very carefully, but I haven't seen any Avebury Stone so far, and I 'm flying all day already. To be honest, I haven't seen anything for a long time!

Name:	2018-2-27_11-20-10-226.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	201753

Beware, Oh Great Noble Person and Natural Born Aviator, Michael is somewhat delusional. He sees stones everywhere. Must be something he ate, or perhaps a cork he tested.
    Last edited by KCD; 02-28-2018 at 05:45 AM.
    B55 Slug.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KCD View Post
    Beware, Oh Great Noble Person and Natural Born Aviator, Michael is somewhat delusional. He sees stones everywhere. Must be something he ate, or perhaps a cork he tested.
    Perhaps,

Having said that, I sometimes also see gaps where they're not expected. Perhaps you will view a post I'm about to put up concerning WBGG in Malaysia.

Michael

I never go to Malaysia, Michael, I prefer the homeland to the tropics, too many odd reptiles and other questionable creatures. Also, I've never gotten used to banging my shoes each morning before putting them on. Consequently, when there I suffer an inordinate amount of scorpion stings. I did, however, see your post on the subject and wonder who the architect might have been that designed such a flawed terminal. Was it a fellow named von Peerhoven by chance? Although I don't anticipate a landing there, could you please advise, is the general aviation terminal is equally flawed?
    B55 Slug.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast