Avebury Stones

Rupert

For those who find Stonehenge smaller than expected, you might want to go about 26 miles South and see the Avebury Circle of Stones. Think of a large city block encircled by ditches, who knows what for, and upright standing stones. That's Avebury.

Having said that, this formation is often believed to be older than Stonehenge and many of the stones were tumbled over to be use for building and other reasons in the last few thousand years. But the ditches show the whole circumference where they once were.

Nearby you'll also find West Kennet (Kennett to some) Long Barrow, a man made earthen area which may be older yet. They're still trying to figure out exactly what those barrows, there are more than one nearby, were built for. Tombs, places of worship? Theories abound.

ave1.jpg

ave2.jpg

ave3.jpg

ave4.jpg

Kennet.jpg

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

About a totally other subject: I thought about your Bronco. When reviewing doc for my websites last week, I stumbled upon a new about a South African company competing in the US about a new fighter, or trainer, I don't remember exactly. I think it's the one on the picture below. I searched again on the site but I could not find the real passage and pic again!

mwari.jpg

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Landing illegally to get up close and personal with some very old, vertical stones; then chasing down yet a second grouping of ancient stones, one might conjure the notion you are contemplating the manufacture of high grade, professional level Curling Stones and you;re looking for the ideal starter block to launch your new venture. Consider this, though Michael, the demand for such a product has diminished considerably since yesterday. By the time you get your venture organized, Curling will be sound asleep for another four years; you will have removed yet another historical pice of questionable things left lying around by the Druids, and you will be lucky to recapture your costs in the sagging economy of the sport as all those exhausted Curler Athletes take their three and a half year vacation, a long rest necessary to prepare for the rigors of yet the next Olympiad and the necessity to precisely glide their stones gently down the ice in an effort to dislodge an opponent and score the very illusive point or two. Better you consider a future in condoms; those will sell.

Gee! I hadn't really taken it that far yet. I was just trying to get close to the stones at Stonehenge. The last time I went there they had a barrier up so you couldn't approach them. It was a piece of 1/4" or so twine strung about a foot off the ground all around the site. Of course since this was England, no one ever thought to step across that barrier!!

I was hoping everyone would get so interested in the plane that I could sneak in for a closer look!

As to Amesbury, I was way late there! Apparently the locals have used many of those stones for centuries. So it looked decimated enough that I didn't even bother finding a place to land. :(

There was a third stone trip on my part you're not even aware of. ;) I went up to the Isle of Lewis hoping to find the Callinsh Stones. Based on pictures I'd seen, they were probably easier to harvest. In fact, that may be the case! I searched high and low all around the coordinates I found for them, and no stones!!!:confused:

But perhaps you are right (ONCE) There were a lot of stones thrown and slid around in South Korea during the last couple of weeks! Perhaps the locals have made a killing off them already!!;)

Michael

Interesting thread. Curious what finds its way into a flight simulator. :)

I read that Stonehenge was build over a period of 1500 years.?! :confused:

And you thought your contractor was slow! :eek::rolleyes: -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

"Gee! I hadn't really taken it that far yet"

Hi! Most likely such areas are kind of a national monument but above all, you likely disturbed fairies and elves LOL

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Say Michael, my good friend, I followed all your instructions very carefully, but I haven't seen any Avebury Stone so far, and I 'm flying all day already. To be honest, I haven't seen anything for a long time! :mad::mad:

2018-2-27_11-20-10-226.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Beware, Oh Great Noble Person and Natural Born Aviator, Michael is somewhat delusional. He sees stones everywhere. Must be something he ate, or perhaps a cork he tested.

Perhaps,

Having said that, I sometimes also see gaps where they're not expected. Perhaps you will view a post I'm about to put up concerning WBGG in Malaysia.;)

Michael

I never go to Malaysia, Michael, I prefer the homeland to the tropics, too many odd reptiles and other questionable creatures. Also, I've never gotten used to banging my shoes each morning before putting them on. Consequently, when there I suffer an inordinate amount of scorpion stings. I did, however, see your post on the subject and wonder who the architect might have been that designed such a flawed terminal. Was it a fellow named von Peerhoven by chance? Although I don't anticipate a landing there, could you please advise, is the general aviation terminal is equally flawed?

I never go to Malaysia, Michael, I prefer the homeland to the tropics, too many odd reptiles and other questionable creatures. Also, I've never gotten used to banging my shoes each morning before putting them on. Consequently, when there I suffer an inordinate amount of scorpion stings. I did, however,...

:):):):) Enjoyable post!

Interesting thread. Curious what finds its way into a flight simulator. :)

Bob

Reading some of your replies I often agree! Curious indeed.

In this case we're observing some of the ground detail to be found in FSX. ;)

Gentlemen,

The subject of this thread is stones, placed originally by Michael. There is not a wit curious about the posts to the thread; they have all either centered on stones, or of the mental capacity of the original poster who should continue to be held responsible for the contents and comments of the thread. Personally, I rather find the occasional discussion about stones somewhat refreshing. Now I wouldn't want to talk about them constantly, day-after-day, but once in a while is certainly within proper limits.

In this case we're observing some of the ground detail to be found in FSX. ;)

It's the ground details I'm speaking of. Not the fact that you posted about them.

As Ed Norton used to say, "Sheesh, what a grouch!" -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's the ground details I'm speaking of. Not the fact that you posted about them.

As Ed Norton used to say, "Sheesh, what a grouch!" -- Bob

Or Chester A. Riley "What a revolting development this is!"

Or Oliver Hardy to Stan Laurel "This is a fine mess you've gotten us into!"--- Charlie

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

"We'll tell the wives we've gone to Miami and they won't be any the wiser." (Stan to Ollie)

Does anyone younger than us even know who Laurel and Hardy were? -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone younger than us even know who Laurel and Hardy were?

Yes they do. There are some TV chanels which still air them at least under the form of cartoons!

"...As Ed Norton used to say...",

",,,or Chester A. Riley..."

"...or Oliver Hardy to Stan Laurel..."

Now after all of that, one would have to say,

"Who's on first?", Abbot and Costello...

All we beed now is Martin and Lewis!

Archived