FSX won't install need up to date solution

TomD26

I have a new windows 10 computer. FSX Deluxe won't install after numerous attempts. Error 1603, 1628, 1722 on different attempts. Have tried many fixes from many sites including this one. I have reset my PC and downloaded Microsoft 8928080. Many fixes are outdated. Today's date is 2/25/2018, anyone have a fix that will work all the current Windows 10 updates? About to throw in the towel and chuck FSX into the garbage.

I have a new windows 10 computer. FSX Deluxe won't install after numerous attempts. Error 1603, 1628, 1722 on different attempts. Have tried many fixes from many sites including this one. I have reset my PC and downloaded Microsoft 8928080. Many fixes are outdated. Today's date is 2/25/2018, anyone have a fix that will work all the current Windows 10 updates? About to throw in the towel and chuck FSX into the garbage.

READ the error messages and you will find they are based on Windows errors, not Flight Sim X.

FSX and Acceleration works just fine under W10, when you've installed it right.

Work through the messages and solve the problems one at a time.

Error 1603 and 1722 get fixed with kb 928080. Also on Win10.

Make sure to run the command prompt as admin to use kb928080.

There used to be a MS fixit download that fixed error 1628. That download is no longer available.

There is some MS info online on how to repair it manually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had the same. I worked through all the error messages, followed several video tutorials and things went from bad to worse. There were so many frigs and patches to both Windows and FSX that the whole thing was getting out of hand. I ended up doing a clean Windows install and buying X Plane instead. Even though I had invested in Orbx scenery and had an Aerosoft Airbus bought as a present last year I have no regrets. X Plane is an order of magnitude more stable and vastly superior in what it offers as a base package and is considerably easier to set up. I have had significantly less issues with X Plane and can't recommend it highly enough.

Alan

Based on the errors, all of which have several reasons as to why they are presented including issue with security permissions, corrupt system files or a broken/corrupted Windows InstallerShield process, I suggest that you try the following.....

A. Run the System File Check (SFC) utility - an in-built OS tool. SFC can be used to scan the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

I recommend you run the verify only option first to see what problems, if any, you have.

To run SFC go to start > run, type CMD in the box and click OK.

A command window will open and should show an entry similair to this - C:\Users\youracctname>.

Type cd\ and hit enter - this will take you back to the C:\ prompt.

To start SFC type one of the command lines listed below and hit enter:

sfc /verifyonly (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option no changes will be made if errors are found and when it has finished it will display a message either stating that Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations OR it will provide a list of problems found.

sfc /scannow (again note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option the program will automatically attempt to repair any errors found. At the end of the process one of the following messages will be displayed:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.

Note: The process can take a long while to run and may seem to have stalled - it hasn't just wait until you get the one of the messages stated above. If is also worth noting that you may have to run the utility several times to fix all the problems. If the first run found multiple problems and states that it was unable to fix some of them, rerun SFC again. This is because one or more of the un-repaired problem file(s) probably relies on one of the now fixed files to be running correctly to run itself.

B. Check for and uninstall any failed partial install of FSX. Do this by using the windows uninstall feature and by manually deleting any leftover folders/files that may be present. Check the main install location folder and the FSX related folders that may have been created at the following locations:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

C. Download and install a registry cleaning tool, such as CCleaner - the free version is all that is needed. Run it and once it has finished reboot.

D. LoadFSX disc 1 into the drive. If you have you system configured to auto-run installers stop it in this instance by pressing and holding the SHIFT key as you close the cd - this will temporarily disable the auto-run function as the CD is read.

E. Open a windows explorer view and double click on the CD drive icon to view the contents. Find the setuip.exe file and right click on it then select Run As Administrator.

F. Install FSX, ideally outside of the default install location offered. When prompted for disk 2 simply insert it as normal and let it run.

Hopefully, your install will go successfully.

Regards

Brian

So the answer for you was to give up and now complain about FSX and boast about X-Plane?........LOL

I have Windows 10 all up to date. I run FS9, FSX, FSX:Steam, Flight Sim World, P3D, Aerofly and X-Plane all on the same computer. If the operating system is installed properly and updated before installing any programs then it will work fine.

It was a combination of Windows 10 updating issues and FSX. Even with a clean install the FSX would not load the C++ libraries despite trying several times. I know some of you get sensitive when FSX is criticised, you poor sensitive souls, but I can only describe my experiences and opinion. I've had no problems whatsoever with X Plane 11, I installed it and I have been using it ever since with no frigs or alterations to registries, config files or any other scripts. Even the add-ons have been painless. Sorry if that offends you but that's my experience.

So, apparently you tried to install FSX before Win 10 was completely updated? Because that is the only explanation for this.

If you get a new computer with Win 10. you need to run the Windows Update. And you need to run it several times, until it tells you that there are no more updates, or it will start installing more updates in the background. And don't cut corners and install anything at all, before this updating process is done.

It's all a question of doing your homework. And I am sorry if that offends you.

Jorgen

No this was a clean Windows 10 install updates and all plus a clean install of FSX, Steam addition. It failed while trying to install the C++ components on several occasions. X Plane did not encounter any issues and installed first time. If I wasn't clear about this apologies :-)

Alan

I don't know what to say then. I installed FSX Acceleration easily on my Win 10 system more than 2 years ago, and Steam about a month ago. So now, on this system, I have FSX Acceleraton, FSX:SE and P3D v. 4.2 side by side and all running fine.

One thing you might want to do, regardless of whether you want to try FSX later, is to install the C++ Redistributables to repair any possible damage to the C++ libraries.

Jorgen

Archived