172 IFR into KLAX Instructional Video!!??

Rupert

I'm considering trying X-Plane so I just looked at a featured Training Video on how to use ATC. The flight was IFR from KHHR to KLAX with an ILS approach. During most of the fight there was constant contact from the controller with another plane in addition to the one featured in the video. As you'd expect.

What I didn't expect was that while the 172 was lining up for final at KLAX the ATC had that other plane, a multi-engine jet, buzz past the 172 close enough to cause turbulence in the 172 for at least a mile or two!!?? While I was impressed with the turbulence causing a reaction in the 172, I certainly can't say that was a correct simulation of an approach!! I also noticed a few other unexpected and iffy things happening during the flight. But that buzz on approach was a game-breaker to me!!

My question is, is this type of ATC operations typical of what happens while simming with X-Plane? And are others finding huge bugs like that as well??

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

You would probably have to share the link to the video so we can see just what is going on.

That being said, however, in the unusual event that the real world LAX were to have a 172 on final to, say, 25R and an airliner passing it on the left going to 25 L (or the pair of 24's for that matter) the 172 might very well, if wind conditions were such as to bring the wake over toward it, get a very interesting and possibly aerobatic ride! It would all depend upon the relative positions of the two airplanes, but the runways are close enough to allow a wake to be blown from one to the adjoining if there was a crosswind of just the right velocity.

Happens at KSFO as well on occasion, but again there would have to be a certain crosswind and the two airplanes would have to be positioned (for a moment at least) just so.

Now I have no idea if XPlane models things like wake vortices with that level of detail, but anything is possible.

Tony Vallillo

"Just a reminder that the special discount on Getting Started with Flight Simulation ends tonight.

This video series provides step-by-step instruction to set up a home-based flight simulator using X-Plane. It also shows you how to use your sim for real flight training, and includes practice flights and exercises that help you work on core skills.

Details and Sample Videos

X-Plane is a leader in desktop flight simulation and offers pilots an ultra-realistic experience to practice maneuvers, train on IFR procedures, or hone skills you can transfer to the “real” airplane - all from the comfort of your home.

Getting Started with Flight Simulation is a quick-start guide that makes it easy.

Respectfully,

Mark Robidoux

PilotWorkshops

PilotWorkshops.com LLC"

This is a copy and paste on e-mail I just received today where the video came from. But I can't find an actual link to that specific video today. Perhaps after receiving questions based on their earlier mailing, they removed it!!

It was about a 20 minute video and definitely showed the big jet being directed at a higher altitude and passing closely overhead, then doing a Touch and Go on the same exact runway as the 172 had already been approved for final to land on! After executing the Touch and Go the big plane lifted out while the 172 was still a mile or so out. And the 172 did land on that same runway as instructed.

I just freaked me out!

Thanks for the response!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived