XP11 NULL Zone missing?

flytv1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

It looks like the XP Gods are no longer visiting this Forum?

Until Laminar decides that the Null zone must be reintroduced, at least for the Twist / Rudder, the way around it is to move the stick around when the Calibration>Keep controls centered message shows up. It can take some trial and error but you can get close to what you need, in most cases.

The reason a Null zone / adjustment is needed is to be able to use the Twist, if you have additional Rudder pedals and are not using the Twist as rudder control, you can assign the Twist to the Right / Left View with auto centering, for a quick view during landing phases or other quick look times.

That works very well in XP10 and MSFSX, but it was removed in XP11, and after you get used to it, it's a function that you cannot / do not want to do without.

The physical restrictions, built into the hardware, Must have that Null zone because the stick is also used for pitch and bank and a very small movement can also trigger/ affect those functions, even with a perfectly good Joystick / controller.

Hi everyone.

It should be quite obvious by now that flightsim.com has been reduced to the favourite hangout of a relatively small group of diehard FS9/FSX simmers who will keep on using MS FS until their dying breath.

Hi everyone.

Until Laminar decides that the Null zone must be reintroduced, at least for the Twist / Rudder, the way around it is to move the stick around when the Calibration>Keep controls centered message shows up. It can take some trial and error but you can get close to what you need, in most cases.

The reason a Null zone / adjustment is needed is to be able to use the Twist, if you have additional Rudder pedals and are not using the Twist as rudder control, you can assign the Twist to the Right / Left View with auto centering, for a quick view during landing phases or other quick look times.

That works very well in XP10 and MSFSX, but it was removed in XP11, and after you get used to it, it's a function that you cannot / do not want to do without.

The physical restrictions, built into the hardware, Must have that Null zone because the stick is also used for pitch and bank and a very small movement can also trigger/ affect those functions, even with a perfectly good Joystick / controller.

Excellent example of community support (thank you).

It should be quite obvious by now that flightsim.com has been reduced to the favourite hangout of a relatively small group of diehard FS9/FSX simmers who will keep on using MS FS until their dying breath.

Hi.

I agree that there may be some "diehard" but most users, simmers and real world pilots, at least the ones I know, would be happy to find something better to use as a tool. I find that the XP simmers are more likely to reject / not try another sim, but they talk about others sims without actually having or trying it.

Everyone I know is willing to spend some money to keep a company in business that is willing to get a better sim. The problem is that there is / was not much of a progress in other sims, when compared to MSFSX.

I started using sims way back, before actually Micros / PCs were around, and I always believed that they have an important roll to play in the Aviation industry. S100, CPM, PCs, Apple.. comes along and Bruce, and others, and the sims started taking off.

Ever since I've been around, and I believe I have / had just about any PC sims that were release since the PCs invention, I've been trying to impart my knowledge, as a real world pilot, with others. Some companies / users were more accepting, others did not. XP were very resistant, but I think that at this point, in XP11, they do have a base that can be used, with some changes as a tool. It still has some issues that they cannot be resolved without the developer's input, but it's close. I will give you an example that only got resolved in the XP11 and that is the cockpit pilot's forward view it was way off, some of the instrument updated were not prioritized properly, the eye point position could not be adjusted to simulate the lateral and forward views to see parts of the acft that are very important in training... I am specifically referring to the C172 that is commonly used in training. Add to that the Scenery that did not look / represent the real view of real world, and some real off flight dynamics when it comes to Xwind ground handling and so in flight also and you are likely to get many people disappointed / not wanting to make the change.

I spent a lot of time trying to get XP to represent something that I could use as a tool, and until XP11 I never felt like I could get even close. For me, XP11, feels like it finally has potential and I got it to the point where I can use it as a tool in day VFR / VMC, with the additional Ortho4XP photo scenery. If I add the Overlays from the original Global scenery it looks better at night but it distorts the feel / look of the real environment that I am used to / see in real flight. The IFR, where no forward / external view is important it's easier to accept.

All that said there are still issues with the flight dynamics and the ability to get some more recognizable photo scenery where some more buildings can be included when using the photo scenery without having to include the Roads from XP, trees on the fwys etc. Ther may be a way but I am not aware of it.

I bring all these things up only because I can get ALL those things done in the MSFSX that is 10 years old.

I spent 30-40 hrs getting the XP11 to where I consider it acceptable and it took around 10 to get the MSFSX to accomplish the same thing, and the feel / sensation of being real, at least for me, as of right now, as compared to real world, is still better in the FSX.

Thank you for sharing your vision.

Admittedly, Austin Meyers' unwillingness to address a number of longstanding issues in X-Plane (flight dynamics and otherwise) has been a continuing source of irritation in (part of) the XP community for many years now.

I simply made the observation that the most active flightsim.com members appear to be for the most part FS9/X "aficionados", if one is allowed to use that term.

Still, your active involvement in trying to improve XP is highly appreciated!

Archived