Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighting up some targets at dawn in the F-9 Cougar

Quote Originally Posted by KCD View Post
    they are mostly screw-tops these days anyway.
    Beuark! How can you drink such aberrations!
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Effective 3/1/18: Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426

Screw-tops are the wave of the future, Gérard, my man. Corks, both naatural and plastic, are on their way out, rapidly becoming a thing of the past!
    B55 Slug.jpg

You'll understand that like a proud representative of Burgundy, I am deeply saddened by that new
    It looks like it is not a question of wine conservation but of the no need for a corkscrew. Still a shameful manipulation
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Fortunately, Gérard...

There remain s cadre of fundamentalists who years ago rejected wine in a box and now stand prepared to do the same against the incessant march of the screw-top advocate. By the way, I stand with you in your objections, the cork pulling device of choice remains ever present on my bar top awaiting a fresh challenge. No matter how hard they try, there are some things not to be yielded without the good, strong protest
    Last edited by KCD; 02-28-2018 at 05:46 AM.
    B55 Slug.jpg

Hi! As we are between people of good character, here is a good corkscrew (maybe not that cheap but that efficient)

Name:  cscrew.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  214.1 KB
    the cranked blade top is to cut the capsule,
    the screw to screw,
    and both features left are to use with the screw to serve like a two-stage lever to raise the cork by pushing onto the bottleneck' side

Such a tool is called a 'limonadier' from the name of a shopholder who sold varied drinks among which limonade, in the past
    That tool however will not give you the 'pop' sound however, which may be obtained with a single corkscrew only and hand-pulling the cork. A fine sound in anycase

Quote Originally Posted by KCD View Post
    I would think, Michael, that the proper test is DRINKING. Who gives a squeaking hoot about a cork, they are mostly screw-tops these days anyway. The world has gone mad, it's going to hell in a hand basket!!!
    Klee,

You're exactly right! For example New Zealand laws now require a screw top. There is a reason for this and it has nothing to do with hell or a hand basket. It is because many people have discovered very, very expensive wines they've properly stored and cherished for decades taste terrible when opened. In short these unfortunate bottles of wine ARE NOT ENJOYABLE WHEN THEY ARE "CORKY!"

Corks themselves on occasion rot even when properly kept wet. And that rotten smell and taste ruins the precious fluids the cork was intended to hold till opened for consumption.

I, your HAOS, have bravely volunteered to assess various corked bottles of wine to see if they have become CORKY. Those that have been ruined
    are disposed of in a safe and sanitary manner. Good examples are usually consumed right after testing because once opened they have a very short shelf life.

I feel it's the least I can do for the good of others!! I mean how embarrassing could it be to open a cherished bottle to share it with guests only to find it is CORKY!!??

Michael
    Last edited by Rupert; 02-28-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Interesting discussion about corkscrews............ But I still don't see any bottle of my promised Chablis

Also good news: the Constructors finished my rebuilt home (after someone, who calls himself a "friend" destroyed it completely) I received the key but it looks like there are some minor issues......

Name:  Wald-Wipflel-Weg.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  76.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by peer01 View Post
    Interesting discussion about corkscrews............ But I still don't see any bottle of my promised Chablis

Also good news: the Constructors finished my rebuilt home (after someone, who calls himself a "friend" destroyed it completely) I received the key but it looks like there are some minor issues......

Here's a little peace offering my friend! I just bought one today and it's sitting in the fridge getting cold!

BTW, great looking house! Looks about perfect!

Sorry, it's Chardonnay, not Chablis No corkscrew or plastic screwtop!

Name:  IMG_0221.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  65.1 KB
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

Jan,

It's obvious Mr Zippy means well!! And following his lead I will follow with a peace offering of my own. It's, sorry to say, not from as famous a wine vendor such as Trader Joe, home of "Two Buck Chuck." But after all the time I've spent with Corky Wines, this is the best I can offer! And in my defense, I'll add this is all that's left of a 5 Liter box!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wine.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	201773

Please enjoy!!

Michael

Michael, I humbly suggest that part of the responsibility of being a wine connoisseur and of acquiring premium quality Grand Crux is possessing a somewhat better than basic knowledge of the grape, the year, how the two will fair together, and of being ever watchful of the contents of the cellar. Unfortunately, there will always be the occasional bottle that fails to behave the way we expect and action such as that in which you seem to engage becomes necessary. When it happens to me, I quickly do a tasting. It is hoped that because of my superior overall knowledge (I am to wine what the Great and Natural Born noble Dutch Aviator is the aviation), I will (and most often do) catch the culprit just as it begins to act up. A quick tast advises me that it becomes tonight's sdalad dressing. However, if we are careful and constantly on our toes, not one drop of the precious fluid need be wasted.
    Last edited by KCD; 03-02-2018 at 04:06 AM.
    B55 Slug.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast