Textures not showing in FSX

gene172

I am having a problems getting textures to show up in FSX. See my post on Hanger lettering from a few days ago. That worked out just fine.

I am working on another building (the FBO terminal). Since it is a complex building (not large, but complex), I decided to make a test box with 2 textures from the photo of the building. I am following the wonderful guide by Arno “Build your house …”

ModelConverterX shows textures, and I have the textures resized (using GIMP) to 64 x 64 or 128 x 128. No errors. To eliminate the complex building I made just a box and put the textures on one face of the box. The other faces I just painted a gray color. Nothing shows up in FSX but just one gray side. (I am placing the box at my airport with ADE).

What is the secret I am missing here? Thanks.

Gene

i7 975 @ 4.0,NH-D14, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Win 7 64bit, 12GB, GTX570, Crucial SSD 1TB, WD 300 GB VRAP, WD 2TB, Antec 1200 tower,FSX Gold, FSUIPC, UTX, GEX, Simplugins

Gene,

You said the textures show up in MCX. I assume you mean the test box with your textures and the other gray sides. Have you tried placing it with the Object Placement Tool to see that it is intact? Is the test box bgl in Addon Scenery>Scenery and bitmaps or DDS's in Addon Scenery>Texture or are they in their own folder with Scenery and Texture folders- Addon Scenery>Test Box>Scenery & Texture? I know, these seem like dumb questions but I have to ask.

unclegreg

I made few models once too. I only made a few test models.

What I did was when viewing in mcx i took an image of that using 'Snapper'. (Prog Is Built in in Windows.)

I then gave the image as name description and GUI in brackets. Just like all ADE thumbnails.

After putting that in the ADE thumbs folder I saw that Image as previeW when placing with ADE. Good way to be sure you place the correct box.

(I had re-tried making it a few times.)

If you restart from early file of a previous (failed) attempt, make sure to use a new GUI for your new creation.

I'm not sure of it of course, but you could just be looking at the wrong model in sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your reply. I actually solved my problem yesterday. Turns out it was really two issues confusing me, and I was chasing the wrong path. The biggest problem is that I assumed that if the texture had one value a power of 2 that would be sufficient. I thought that changing both X and Y values to power of 2 would distort perspective. When I “unlinked” both the image size and made both values the same power of 2 that fixed the problem. Using texture position in Sketchup I could pin the texture to the correct position.

My second problem was related to not checking paths closely enough. Since I am still learning how to make models I created a new folder whenever I made a significant change. This exacerbated my confusion.

Now I have a better understanding of how the tools work. Thanks for answering

Gene

i7 975 @ 4.0,NH-D14, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Win 7 64bit, 12GB, GTX570, Crucial SSD 1TB, WD 300 GB VRAP, WD 2TB, Antec 1200 tower,FSX Gold, FSUIPC, UTX, GEX, Simplugins

Archived