Barometer

samwadkins

Hi, I've played FSX for couple years. I have the same problem every time I fly long distance flights. I hit the B key to adjust Barometer. Several times or sometimes never to see if it is different. Problem is, I always crash at the landing runway because barometer is not correct. The wheels go half way in the runway and I crash. Every time I have to change the barometer from 29.92, This occurs..Any fixes?

No, expecting the correct Barometer reading. Ive even check barometer at landing airport, and I am always landing half way in the runway concrete.

For example, If I fly from Mexico City to DTW. Mexico City Barr is 29.76. When I arrive in DTW area the Barr 29.92. I set it and same thing happens.

I always crash at the landing runway because barometer is not correct.

I sure as heck hope you are looking out the aircraft windshield and NOT at the barometer?? Glance at the Altimeter when landing your aircraft. If you are looking for 0 (zero) on the altimeter, it better be a RAD ALT.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I don't think you understand what im saying..Alt is fine. If I fly short distances where the Barometer is the same...All is fine. When Barometer changes I don't "Crash" into the runway, My aircraft goes under the runway, like the tires disappear into the runway

I don't think you understand what im saying..Alt is fine. If I fly short distances where the Barometer is the same...All is fine. When Barometer changes I don't "Crash" into the runway, My aircraft goes under the runway, like the tires disappear into the runway

Sounds like an config. problem. Try different aircraft.

This isn't a barometer problem. Seeing 29.92 means something went awry while simming as that would generally be the default atmospheric pressure. Unless of course that area actually had a 29.92 barometer which is rare. If the tires are going into the runway it would seem to me that the contact points in the aircraft.cfg file is wrong. Can you help us out by stating which aircraft it is you are using?

But I digress. Seeing 29.92 all the time means something else is going on. Maybe a run on of problems steaming from something else. Are you seeing 29.92 all the time in DTW? Are you using the default weather engine? That engine isn't the greatest. Also, you will find that at about every 10 minutes when you press B the pressure changes. I don't even think it's like that in real life. Like I can be flying and withen about 40 miles of the airport the pressure changes withen 15 or so milibars from the ATIS reported pressure at the airport. I always correct the altimeter prior to my final decent height.

CRJ,

Seeing 29.92 is what you will see by default. It is perfectly normal.

You will only see something else if you set it, or if you use a weather addon.

But, sinking into the runway is not because of the barometer.

It can happen when flying online. If ou use a server where everyone uses the default aiports. And you are using an addon airport which has a different altitude set.

In Free Flight it can also happen if you have two addons active in your sim for the same airport.

One has the elevation the aircrafft sits on. The other is slightly highter, and is what you see as a layer you sink through.

It can also happen with one airport. If the creator made a mistake. For example if a runway does not have the same elevation as the rest of the airport.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use FSRealWX, and it seems pretty accurate. Plus, it's free!

Something to consider, if you hit B above 18,000'MSL, the altimeter will always go to 29.92. If you want it accurate, and not with the default weather engine, but one that actually works, wait till you get to 16-17,000'MSL, THEN hit B to set the altimeter.

Your wheels sinking isn't the barometer, as has been said already. I suspect contact points, but I am frequently wrong...

Maybe you're landing like a Navy pilot? Kinda...firmly? Driving the gear into the concrete?

That last IS a joke, BTW...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

As PhantomTweak suggests this is NOT a barometer problem. The barometer tells you the altitude above the ground. Above 18,000 feet the use of `B` key will automatically set 29.92 regardless of whether. This is hard-coded into the sim and represents a simplified interpretation of the adoption of a transition altitude - the Flight Level - used by all aircraft to assure they are all `singing off the same hymn sheet`.

In real life, Flight Levels vary wildly, from as low as 3,000 feet to above 30,000 feet but FSX has just one, common across the whole world.

Below the FL, altitude is defined relative to the ground so knowing the pressure and placing that figure in your sim with the B key - is vital to ensure you are at the relative altitude you think you are - all ATC and radio traffic below the TA is in local pressure, above in Standard.

With that explained you can see that wheels in tarmac has absolutely nothing to do with barometer settings.

Most likely it's a local Mesh variation with the reported altitude of the runway of the airport and these are often caused by simply having the wrong sequence in the scenery.cfg

FWIW the highest detail mesh will always take priority no matter where it is located in the scenery.cfg, but airports interact with other scenery according to their position in the menu.

Please start your troubleshoot with FULL details of the scenery affected, ALL addons and modifications in your sim, version of sim installed and most importantly the contents of your specific scenery.cfg for us to take a look at.

THe barometer setting in youtr plane just tells you what altitude you are at.

It is helpful when descending. But has nothing to do with sinking into the ground.

If you land with a incorrect barometer setting, the plane should still satand on top of the runway.

So using different weather makes no difference for that.

Sometimes the model always is sitting a little into the ground. A few inches only, so it looks like you have slightly low tire pressure. (tire flat on bottom.)

If so, it will look like that whenever. So before your takeoff as well.

If you keep sinking into the runway at one airport only, it's probably a faulty addon airport.

(Or a problem with Mesh.)

One more thing, if you fly with gear extended, you damage the gear in flight. (because the gear will get damaged if you fly to fast with it extended.

The default A321 and planes based on that are especially sensitive to that.

If you land with damaged gear, it will break on landing. (and you will sink.)

If you have "crash detection" switched off, you may be crashing without realising.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived