Milton Shupe's Mallard

Roger Wensley

I have just tried out Milton's Mallard, and made a take off from a runway without making any changes to the propeller pitch or fuel mixture, just by advancing the throttles to full and adding flap. I then landed in the water. When I advanced the throttles to full the Mallard did not move at all in the water. Any ideas, before I start fiddling? I presumed that what got me off a runway should also get me off the water......

I have just tried out Milton's Mallard, and made a take off from a runway without making any changes to the propeller pitch or fuel mixture, just by advancing the throttles to full and adding flap. I then landed in the water. When I advanced the throttles to full the Mallard did not move at all in the water. Any ideas, before I start fiddling? I presumed that what got me off a runway should also get me off the water......

Any changes to your prop RPM before the water takeoff? Proper mixture?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

All was the same as on the runway including the mixture, though whether it was proper or not I do not know. On land it worked. On water.....

According to Milton's flying instructions no flaps for takeoff on the hard surface runway and flaps needed for water takeoff. On my first trial flight, after landing on the water, I had forgotten that my prop RPM was set fairly low and I was slow to initiate flaps.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived