FS2004 Avro York

roadrabbit

I would say 95% of FS9 aircraft work fine in FSX. A few may be problematic if parts of them are from earlier versions (some "FS9" aircraft are actually FS2000 or FS2002 models updated for FS9, so this is stretching compatibility a bit); problems are typically with older gauges, which are easily replaced. I've heard of occasional performance issues (speeds, ceiling, etc.) which may be severe or scarcely noticeable.

Excellent! Now working quite well, but I have another question: is there any way to 'raise' the pilot eye view level? The usual key controls of ctl/shift and Return/backspace do not appear to function. Thus taxying and landing are currently done by using external view, which is not ideal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Excellent! Now working quite well, but I have another question: is there any way to 'raise' the pilot eye view level? The usual key controls of ctl/shift and Return/backspace do not appear to function. Thus taxying and landing are currently done by using external view, which is not ideal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Looks like this aircraft from Milton Shupe has a 2D cockpit only. (hoping I have the correct aircraft)

Holding down CTRL+Q or CTRL+Shift+Q will either raise or lower your eyepoint. You may need to hold these keys down for a second or two to see the movement.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Wonderful! Thank you Mr Zippy - so far yours is the only solution that works. This may be because I am a complete tyro when it comes to installing gauges such as the pwrseat.zip file as I can't get it to work.

Anyway I now can adjust the pilot eye view so I can see out during take-off and landing.

Reason I am so keen to make the Avro York work is that when 18 months old I flew with family from Croydon Airport, England, to Johannesburg, South Africa. I intend to repeat the flight online.

Wonderful! Thank you Mr Zippy - so far yours is the only solution that works. This may be because I am a complete tyro when it comes to installing gauges such as the pwrseat.zip file as I can't get it to work.

Anyway I now can adjust the pilot eye view so I can see out during take-off and landing.

Reason I am so keen to make the Avro York work is that when 18 months old I flew with family from Croydon Airport, England, to Johannesburg, South Africa. I intend to repeat the flight online.

Glad that got it working for you! I tried that seat switch and it would take many many clicks downward to get the view right.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The '95% works' is grossly overestimated.

In the Flightsim.com library the planes marked as 'FS2004' generally don't work.

Fs2004 planes that do work in FSX are classified as 'Fs2004/FSX'

Fs2004 planes that can be fixed, have been fixed, and are now in the library as 'Fs2004/FSX' as well.

Simply copying all your installed planes from 2004 to FSX folders is a recipy for disaster.

----

Other libraries. (FlyawaySImulation, Simviation, etc, etc. ) do not use this same classification 'fs2004/fsx'.

But stil, usually FS2004 planes that have been fixed are usually labebled as 'FSX' there.

(You can see if it is aoriginall a fs2004 plane by opening the model in Notepad, and looking for "MDL8MDLH" somewhere near the top. That is an FS2004 plane.

FSX planes have 'MDLXMDLH' near the top when opened in Notepad.

-------

If you decide to buy FSX, start over. Just look for planes labeled FSX (or FS2004/FSX).

You will find many of the planes you want (re) made for FSX. Saves you a lot of time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having got this far, I now wish to go furtherwith the ex-FS2004 Avro York!

I use the Saitek panels, which work 95% of the time (;)). The one problem I have is the landing gear lever. If I try and raise the gear just after take-off (with flaps extended 25 degs) all the engines stop! What is weird is that once fully airborne I can operate the landing gear lever without any problem, and independent of flaps position.

At present the radio compass and the two indicator needles do not function, despite the ability to tune an ADF station and get the correct ident. Does anyone know of a correction for this? If not, is there a functioning gauge sub-routine I could install, eg from the default FSX Beech baron?

Lastly (for now) once I have selected the 'Fuel Tank Selector' switches away from the 'OFF' position I am unable to switch them to 'OFF' again. I have experimented with FSUIPC (registered) and can occasionally get the Left switch to function correctly, but not the right switch. I have tried the logical FSUIPC selections available but get very odd results with the selector switches disappearing (clicking on the panel where the switch was has always restored the switch into view).

As always - many thanks for any help.

What happens if you press G to raise the gear?

For the RMI first check if the electrical system is producing voltage. If not, you may need changes to the Electrical section of the plane's aircraft.cfg file.

If that's OK, the radio compass might need a section in the plane's aircraft.cfg file, similar to this:

[Radios]

Audio.1=1

Com.1=1, 0

Com.2=1, 0

Nav.1=1, 0, 1

Nav.2=1, 0, 1

Adf.1=1

Adf.2=1

Transponder.1=1

Marker.1=1

This is set up to use radios without a standby frequency. If they do use a standby frequency, it would probably be:

[Radios]

// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope

Audio.1 = 1

Com.1 = 1, 1

Com.2 = 1, 1

Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1

Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0

Adf.1 = 1

Transponder.1 = 1

Marker.1 = 1

I don't know about the fuel switches - it might be that the gauges were designed to use a different fuel tank arrangement than you are using?

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Yup - thanks Tom. The entries were pretty much as you indicate. I decided not to adjust them any further, but instead went and substituted the default FSX Cessna C172SP ADF indicator in the meantime.

I now know how to move the individual instrument display around the panel. (So that's what those four figures are - x and y co-ordinates and size integers!).

Funny thing is - the ADF is now working properly. More importantly I can read the figures. It took me a while to figure that on the Avro York the figures are for every 20 degrees around the circular scale.

Now for the gear lever ........... :cool:

Just in case anyone is interested :rolleyes:

By working on the ADF I found out how easy it is to re-size things like gauges. This meant I could re-size the original 'radio compass', so I experimented ond managed to resize it so that it was actually readable. What this disclosed was that the instrument was calibrated every 20 degrees - thus the cardinal points of East and West are not actually highlighted. Being used to the modern calibration this takes a little getting used to.

The fuel gauges are also unreadable, so I resized the Centre tank, again to a readable dial. This threw up another anomaly - full tank on the gauge reads 696 as opposed to 580. Initial confusion, but of course it is marked in US gallons. Seems odd for a British aircraft. The oil temperature gauges are marked as "Olje Temp", so yet another oddity.

Looking at the panel.cfg file there is a fuel panel sub-window - but this did not display at all initially. Then I noticed the window number was the same as another window 'set', so I changed it to the next unused sequential number. It then displayed, but only as a blank (black) sub-window. Each line within the pane.cfg file for this fuel panel began with a double forward slash (//) which was different to the other sub-window entries. I removed the double forward slash, but it made no difference. I guess that whoever modelled this aircraft from FS2004 to FSX compatible had a problem here?

If anyone again has any useful tips on how to possibly retrieve this fuel panel to working state I would be most grateful.

I have now managed to create a working fuel panel pop-up which displays all fuel tank contents gauges, main fuel tank selectors, fuel transfer pumps, and main fuel pumps. Seems obvious now, but all I had to do was adapt the appropriate gauges display from the main panel settings and organise them in the pop-up window.

Fuel tanks now operating and readable, fuel tansfer pumps operational. Problems are that of the main fuel pumps the only one working is the stbd no.2 which shows as ON. The other three pumps show in the OFF position. If I am crazy enough to click on the operating pump it goes to OFF and all four engines run down.

The main tank selectors work after a fashion: initially they display OFF. I can then move them to Port No.1 or No.2 tanks and Stbd No.1 or No.2, but cannot then select OFF again. They are thus usable, but not fully functional.

I suspect that this is about as far as I will be able to go, as the functions I wish to have are either not available in the original program, or are no longer accessible via FSX. I hope I am wrong.

Pure speculation, since I do not have FSX, but could it be FSX is "confused" by duplicate gauges on different panels (FS9 will make copies of such gauges automatically, appending "00001" "00002" etc. to the filename). Try disabling the gauges on the main panel and see if the ones on the popup then work correctly.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to take so long to teply - been without flight computer for 3 months!

For Avro York original FS2004(FS2009) version, go to The Avsim Community and log in to the Avsim Library. Use the search tool and you will find several files - not the first file, but the 4th file is the original file version. This can successfully be loaded into FSX. This is where I am at, and all the modifications are within my FSX folders.

Enjoy!

Archived